it's the final countdown!! and no where to live...oops

Guest Kat+Rocco

Guest Kat+Rocco

It's finally here after months of speculation we are defo going my start date is the 13th November so now comes the huge list of things to do??!! We didn't want to book anything as unsure when we would be heading out so now struggling to find a short term 2week rental.....going to book our flights for either 6/7th so will be landing in Adelaide on 9TH NOVEMBER!!!!

I am feeling so emotional right now....telling everyone we will be going in just a few weeks has made people realise that we weren't just joking...we really are moving to AUSTRALIA......my Daughter justed started nursery school 3 weeks ago and this morning i told her teacher who started crying!! not the response i was expecting lol and she's the 1st one to cry....i had to leave quickly before she started me off.

1. need advice with lists of final things to do
  2. Anyone got a short term rental or know of one that will be avalible from 9th Nov??
  3. Airport/flight tips when travelling with 3yr old
  4. Not keen on taking 6 cases so has anyone used alternative luggage? ie bags etc.....my Dad said hes seen loads of people in airports with those woven checky plastic zipped bags?! anyone used those?

Also if anyone has some tips on how to survive the stress of the final month please share them cos feeling the pressure already :arghh:

Regarding travelling with a 3 yr old ,make sure you take the night time clothes,to get changed into, their fav bedtime teddy/ doll etc, colouring books,pencils etc.. Are a must. It's going to be a very long couple of days in total may be more. Usually the airline staff are very good and there is a screen in the back of the plane seats with cartoons, games to keep them entertained,

Case wise,bags etc.. If you don't fancy taking 6 cases, enquire about getting your luggage freighted over? It is hard work travelling to the airport if you have to swap coaches etc.. On the way down however it is worth it once you land in Austraia.

Good luck

Guest Helchops

Aww...

I can't imagine the stress of the final few weeks - I'm already getting tension headaches following the Visa Process!! Just remember that you're doing it all in the hope of a better quality of life, and it'll all be worth it.

I don't know about woven plastic bags, but we're thinking of taking the flexible bags that look like you could comfortably squeeze a body in them. (May have been watching a little too much American Crime Drama!) It's getting the things unloaded at the other side that's the worry, plus, going over your baggage allowance can be expensive too...

Are you getting a container to ship furniture and stuff?

pack light, any clothes ur not sure u willbring... dont, its gunna be a long hot summer and a lot of stuff u can ship over anyway,

as for luggage, as far as im aware yo are aloud a suitcase each, a small carry on... a small suitcase is small enough as well as a handbag... as big as you want, again make sure u pack the essentials only, its easy to get carried away when throwing out things to think..."i might need this sometime" or "that could be nice if i got a new skirt to go with it" chuck it out, cause you can always buy more when u get out here, trust me ive done it. be as ruthless as possible

shipping is the most important thing, theres a good link on here for a company called PSS who do door to door at a reasonable price, save yourself some money and buy the boxes and pack it all yourself as it will cpst you more if they pack it for you.

bring as much toiletries as possible... make up! is so expensive here! and some sun tan lotion as you will only get factor 30+ and zinc here.

as for short term rentals, honestly you will be lucky unless you find somebody looking to break there lease, a week before we arrived we still hadnt found anything so had to bite the bullet and stay in a motel, however if you stay in a motel or hotel its saves the hastle of searching, till you arrive. when we got here we found a rental within a week.

best advice i will give you is.... if u dont know for sure what areas you want to stay in... rent a car! public transport can be good when ur used to it but on your first week of being here when searching for rentals and doing everything else, tryiing to schedule things based on bus times is not fun, a car makes everything so much simpler as a lot of busses bypass places making it difficult to get about.

if you are going to be using public transport go to adelaidemetro.com.au. it ha a route planner on there hwich uses goodle maps to tell u trip duration when to change $30 bus tickets... 10 trips... as many trips as u want in an hour... will save so much money...

lol i dont think ive answered any of ur questions but this is al the thongs i wish somebody had told me before i came.... have a safe flight..... its all gunna be worth it :)

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, I am assuming you are needing short term accommodation near WCH which I think is north of the city? I know of a couple of places much further down south - Port Noarlunga, Aldinga areas who have got availability for 2 weeks from the 9th Nov. I only know because we have had the same dilema as you, just booked flights (arrive 10th) so were frantically looking for short term accommodation. Let me know if you want their details?

Are you shipping any of your stuff? If so, that should be your priority as they do normally require at least 2 weeks notice.

We are in the same position as you with telling people and the shock that it is happening so soon! I have cried when telling both my sons school and nursery!

Sort out one way travel insurance - normal travel insurance doesnt cover you for immigrating.

Sort out bank account in Aus if you havent done so already, really easy to do from here.

The rest will im sure fall into place, at least thats what I am hoping!! I have made lists in the priority that they need doing and I just do whatever I physically can do in one day and then carry on the next.

Good luck for the move and let me know if you want any accommodation details.

Bridget

Guest Kat+Rocco
Hi, I am assuming you are needing short term accommodation near WCH which I think is north of the city? I know of a couple of places much further down south - Port Noarlunga, Aldinga areas who have got availability for 2 weeks from the 9th Nov. I only know because we have had the same dilema as you, just booked flights (arrive 10th) so were frantically looking for short term accommodation. Let me know if you want their details?

Would love this info please

Are you shipping any of your stuff? If so, that should be your priority as they do normally require at least 2 weeks notice.

We are in the same position as you with telling people and the shock that it is happening so soon! I have cried when telling both my sons school and nursery!

Sort out one way travel insurance - normal travel insurance doesnt cover you for immigrating.

Totally forgot to do this is there anywhere cheap for one way insurance?

Sort out bank account in Aus if you havent done so already, really easy to do from here.

Done this

Bridget

thanks everyone keep the tips coming:wink:

Guest Kat+Rocco
I don't know about woven plastic bags, but we're thinking of taking the flexible bags that look like you could comfortably squeeze a body in them. (May have been watching a little too much American Crime Drama!) It's getting the things unloaded at the other side that's the worry, plus, going over your baggage allowance can be expensive too...

Are you getting a container to ship furniture and stuff?

Hi this makes me laugh cos my hubby actually thought that a couple of body bags would be a great idea, apparently you can get them cheap on ebay lol.....now that would be fun at customs!!

Yeah we've got a shared container with PSS organised taking mostly personal things were originally taking bedroom furniture but now not as rapidly running out of money :(

Guest RobJ1978

Hi Kat,

in terms of your job, have you had it in writting? Just i have had an interview and have been offered a job via email. My agent has ask for it on letterhead paper and now the place where i have my job isn't getting back to me. Just wondered if it not being on letterhead was the norm for over there, being so laid back and all.....

Hope everything works out for you....i have just looked at the checklist for emigration and i am now panicking...so little time...and we havent even applied for SS yet!

Nic.x.

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, I have sent you a pm with the accommodation details.

We went with Insure and go for our travel insurance, they came out the cheapest and were really helpful. The other one is walkabout.co.uk.

Good luck with everything else!

Bridget

Guest Kat+Rocco
Hi Kat,

in terms of your job, have you had it in writting? Just i have had an interview and have been offered a job via email. My agent has ask for it on letterhead paper and now the place where i have my job isn't getting back to me. Just wondered if it not being on letterhead was the norm for over there, being so laid back and all.....

Hope everything works out for you....i have just looked at the checklist for emigration and i am now panicking...so little time...and we havent even applied for SS yet!

Nic.x.

I haven't had it through the post but did get official copy of job offer via email along with my contract and have 2-3xweekly email contact with hospital and they have applied for visa nomination for me......your employer should be able to provide you with an acceptable proof of your employment.....have you tried ringing them directly? I know it is much easier to get answers via phone than email........hope you get

things sorted x