Hello, we had our visa granted in july and had not sold our house, we had two to sell!! We rented both of them out in the end as we just wanted to go asap and we didnt want to sell them really cheap!, we think this is a good idea as its an investment for the future. We rented out straight away with no problems.. Could you not rent your house out then? It could take a long time to sell in the current market...
You propably need the money from the sale of your house to move so this wont be an option to rent, we had a barn and downsized to a small house, to use that money to move with. Good luck whatever you do. Hope the weather is kind to you this winter! We leave on 25th oct! Omg
We have considered renting it out but only really as a last resort if nothing's happening by the beginning of the year - we've got until the end of June to validate - as it would mean going over with basically nothing, so really we need the money from the house if possible. We've got time yet, I'm just not a very patient person at the best of times lol.
Not long now until you go, are you excited or getting stressed?Good luck with it all and think of us poor people sitting here freezing our bums off while you bask in the sunshine
We are also in cold miserable Scotland and feel like we have been living in limbo for ages. We got our visa on 11/8/11, put our house on the market 1 week later and have had 1 viewer. Like you wanted to sell rather than rent our house but dont think that's going to happen. My husband has his own company so we have had to sell that as well, once that is finalised we can get flights booked. Nothing happening there for ages and now hopefully business end getting sorted over next couple of days. Cant wait to book flights and have definite dates sorted. My sister and family have been living in Adelaide for 6 years and we have been lucky enough to visit a lot over this time. She has said that no-one she knows has sold their house in the past 3 years before going out they have all rented it out. For us its the business end we have to get sorted rather than the house, so I am now thinking shall we reduce the price drastically and just take the hit but even then doesnt seem to be anything moving here. We are still hoping to be out the beginning of December, get kids settled etc for school year, like you, though when I look at todays date, I think OMG, may have a few mad weeks ahead lol!!!! Still would be good to be doing something positive.
Good luck and stay positive, sorry not been much help just seemed really similar circumstances
Thanks Jane, I know we're not the only ones in this boat, but like you, it's just that feeling of being in limbo and not knowing. Fingers crossed that you get good news on the business front very soon and you'll be on your way. It must be lovely to have your sister over there already and after all your hols you'll have a feel for the place. Whereabouts are you looking to settle? It's nearly 30 years since I went to Adelaide and hubby's never been to Oz so it's a very big adventure for us!
Originally Posted by Scottish_Mitchells
Just booked our flights today!!!! Cant believe it. Business finally got all sorted. We are looking to go to Somerton Park/ Glenelg/ North Brighton areas, near the beach and my sister. Best of both worlds.
I am getting a couple of shipping quotes this week. Who did you get? I have Pickfords & Clarke and Rose coming out any others you think I should consider?
Still not a thing with the house, which is a pain in the ****, but nothing happening anywhere it seems.
Good luck with yours hope you get someone in really soon, remember you only need 1 person.
That's brill news, so pleased you got it all sorted.
Have a look at White & Co. We had them, Crown, Anglo Pacific, Clarke & Rose and Shore Porters out and have about 700 cubic feet to ship. White & Co's price for it to go FCL was actually cheaper than the quotes we had for the others to send it as groupage, and I have been very pleased with their info/communication so far so looks like they'll be the one for us whe- a couple of the others were ruled out before price even came into it!
We have been in Adelaide for just over 2 years now. We put our house on the market before we applied for our visa (a year before) so that we had plenty of time to sell and at the time we thought we'd have to move in with family until we moved. How wrong were we!! We were granted our visa in October 2008 and sold all our personal belongings so that we could book flights. We just went for it. We came over in July 2009 with 4 suitcases and 2 teenagers. Luckily not long after we booked our flights I got a job in
Adelaide which I started the day after we arrived. Our house sold 2 weeks ago thats 3 years and 2 months to sell. Our parents have lived in it for the past 2 years and in hindsight i would have rented it out to make a bit of money. We lost 20,000 on the house and sold it for less than we borrowed it. What I am trying to say is don't rely on your house selling. We came from Scotland as well and the market is not good. Hopefully it will get better (at least that's what I have been telling myself for the last 3 years). It's such a relief now that its sold.
We too are in the same boat and have 2 properties to sell. One has been on the market for 3 /12 years already, fortunately we are not dependent upon that one selling to make the move but do need to sell the family home. This is only our 3rd week of viewing but for some reason properties in our street seems to be moving reasonably rapidly we have had 6 viewings but from the experience our our flat how knows when it will go I don't want to get over optimistic in case interest falls away. Had hope to leave Jan but I think it will be more like Feb/Mar at the earliest. I have been spending all my time researching the different properties and areas (as far as you can!). Also we have decided to take take about 3 weeks to get to OZ doing some stop overs, so spending time looking at hotels etc and planning the trip. We actually worked out its saving quite a bit about £700 in fares by splitting it up and it will be more fun and manageable with the kids...no flight more than 8 hours and travelling overnight! So managing to focus the energy into something positive and keep the momentum going a bit otherwise I would go mad...but I just so want to be there now! And you are so right the weather doesn't help, dark mornings and nights and we all have a horrible cold too! Good luck!
Thanks Craig. If the house doesn't sell then we will just rent it out and head over, but will wait until the new year before we think about going down that route. Just keeping everything crossed in the meantime. Got someone coming on Wednesday to view so at least something is happening.
Originally Posted by craigf