One month update

Guest loopylisa

Guest loopylisa

Hi all,

As promised I am here to give my one month update and im afraid its not terribly exciting as I have posted before I've been really sick with kidney infection and flu which I am now coming out of the tail end of. This hot-cold-hot-cold weather doesnt help I think.

I have done all the boring things like got medicare, got a driving license, applied for a tax file number etc and as soon as the TFN number comes through I should be all set up with everything I need. I was really hoping to not have to hang around for ages broke at home with no money and nothing to do, on account of not having much money so I looked for jobs before I got here. Had to turn one interview down due to being very unwell with the flu. Got offered work from the first interview but they are having to apply for funding to get the post and it is taking ages so im beginning to get very bored and frustrated.

I really wish that I could be more positive about things. Its not that I hate here by any stretch of the imagination, I actually happen to think the public transport is pretty good despite the apparent timetable changes and stuff on the news I have gotten train and buses and not been affected. I am having to be dependent on Mr Loopy financially till I get a job and its not really my style, much too independent for that so thats not a good thing atm. I know things will change though and summer is around the corner, I will get a job and ergo get money. I can then buy a car and be more independent( having had a nice shiney 04 corsa bought from nearly new to not having any car at all and not being able to afford one is quite an adjustment). Mr Loopys sister is going to have a baby soon(she is due in about 3 weeks so it could be any day now) which Im sure will be a good time for the family and then we have xmas, new years, my birthday, mr loopys birthday and valentines day. Patience unfortunately is not one of my strong suits and it takes along time to set up a new life, I think I knew this already but was under some veil of illusion that because I had lived here as a child it would be much easier and the fact its basically like starting from new has been hard for me.

Sorry to be negative there are lots of positive in there, like being able to enjoy the beach on those sunny days, catching up with my old school friends- even went into the city for boost juice with a friend from primary school who I had contacted through facebook a while ago.

Trying to keep it real with how things are going, sure when I do a three month update I will be settled into a job and loving the warmer weather and it will be all good

Glad you're feeling a bit better now, Lisa. It is a bit of a shock initially - I think with all the stuff in the lead up to emigrating, when you actually get here and get the initial essentials out the way, you sort of go into a post traumatic shock phase. I think for anyone that's had kids, it's a bit like the post childbirth "blues" where you suddenly take stock and wonder what on earth you've got yourself into!

It will start to take shape a lot better when you are working and independent again, I'm sure. Sounds like you've hit the lows since you've been here and now it's time for things to start getting better! Hope so, anyway, but feel free to come on here to let off steam any time....

Diane

Hi Lisa

Don't be too hard on yourself, I am just about getting over the flu and it has made me so miserable, never mind the other illnesses you've had on top of that. Hope your health settles down and you can get on with the fun stuff!

Diane, that helped me to know I'm not going mad as two months into the move my emotions change a thousand times a day! (not helped by flu and hubbie going off to work in Germany before i have any friends :))

Gill x

Hi Lisa, have you thought about ringing the tfn people, that's what we did as we were in holiday rental at the time, with no post box to check through.

They were very helpful and for us they had completed the paperwork therefore they had a tfn number for me, they gave us it over the phone, the paperwork didn't come through until 4 weeks later, hope you feel better soon,and no doubt you will

I'm not going mad as two months into the move my emotions change a thousand times a day! (not helped by flu and hubbie going off to work in Germany before i have any friends :))

Gill x

Sounds perfectly normal to me, Gill! I well remember standing in the kitchen washing up, when"Everybody Hurts" by REM came on the radio - if anyone could have seen me, crouched on the floor in front of the sink, absolutely bawling my eyes out and howling like some injured animal, they'd have probably locked me up and thrown away the key!! It does get better, honest....

Hey on the bright side you have achieved one thing. Don't think anyone's ever written 'ergo' on PIA before :tongue:. And you could be in grey old Mount Gambier (although for once it was warmer than Adelaide today).

Guest loopylisa

lol i have also had a nearly crying moment my brogfs bk in the ukbis also expecting amd i came across kittle aussie baby grows in touristy rundle mal shop and those baby pink n blue kangaroos ps sorry boutspelling on a touch tablet

I think it's really hard to be 100% positive and bubbly when your body has been through so much.

Leaving to one side the infections and any jet lag, you still have that you've moved half way round the world, left all your friends and all that is familiar behind, your contacts, work, etc etc to cope with!

It's fab that you have Mr Loopy and his family and friends around you, but sometimes it is possible to feel loneliest when in a crowd.

Despite it all, you still sound positive and I am as sure as you that your three-month update will sound happier.

Well done on all you have achieved so far and I'm sending motherly hugs over to you (it's an age thing lol)!

LC :)