Mixed feelings! Help

apart8

Hi everyone,

just need a listening ear really.

We have accepted an offer on our UK house today and my head is all over. Its been on the market for less than a week! The people buying need to complete by the 1st week in December so we cant have our last big family christmas with parents etc. Got real mixed feelings and could easily change my mind over the whole migration thing. I feel really scared too. Got that much to sort out as we need to stay in the UK til our son completes his GCSEs and we need to find a rental here as well as furniture storage here, Oz rental, dog transporting etc etc the list goes on and on............could scream. Where do we start................. I should be over the moon as its 2 years in the planning but feel upset. Any advice please.......

Allison

Hello.

We have just gone under offer again after our sale falling through a couple of months back on exchange day. Everyone wants to complete before xmas and as we have less then supportive family becouse they cannot understand why we want to do this it means we will be moving over just before xmas if the sale goes through OK this time. If i was you i would sell the house now. The market is poor and is only getting worse. Move into a six months rental and relax. Take that time to get all of the rest sorted out and then come over in the summer when you are ready. You can still have the family around for xmas it will just be in a rental. The house sale will be the final thing stopping the move over so get it out of the way while you have the chance. Everyone feels a little uneasy when we get near to the move as its a big jump into the unknown but keep reminding yourself why you are doing this.

You will be fine your just having a moment.

Hi Allison,

I totally agree with 'The Bacons'. We sold our house after just a week on the market to a family who insisted on a quick completion. We were overjoyed at selling the house so quickly, but as it sunk in, we realised that it was all too soon. We had a further 3 months left in the UK with no house. We looked at all our options, and decided that not selling the house could be the one thing that stopped us ever moving to Australia. We accepted their offer and agreed to the quick exchange date. Then we phoned round local estate agents and found a small empty bungalow that had just gone up for sale, and the seller wanted to earn some cash while it was on the market. So we rented it until we were ready to fly.

It made things interesting for a while, but it just became part of our 2011 rollercoaster year of adventure. We are now here in Adelaide and absolutely loving it. The journey is a very emotional one (and it still is at times), but I will say that for us it is 100% worth it. UK or Adelaide? It's a no-brainer for us.

Imagine going through the whole process, and then it all never happening because you cant sell a pile of bricks. As for the long 'to-do' list, just tick off one thing at a time. You will get there, I promise you. All the very best with what ever decisions you make.

Paul

I am not going to try to give you any advice as I am biased because we can't wait for you to get here.We knew we had found some special friends in you when you came for your reccie.Both the Bacon's and Cherrypecker have given you sound advice in our opinion.There is no doubt it is going to be tough but you are strong people and you can do it.You have us when you get here and the offer of staying with us for a while is always there.Please don't stress yourselves out.Thinking of you all and hoping to see you soon.Mick and Shaz.xxx:biggrin:

Guest Opportunities

Sound advice from everyone... Anything that is worth it, comes with a lot of effort! Baby steps... Break down that mountain bit by bit!

Good luck!

Karen

I think what you are feeling is very normal! Deep breaths and take one day at a time, you will be amazed at how things start to fall into place! I cried when we sold our house in the UK as it mean't we were on the move for real! Have been here just over a year and loving every moment, good luck with the move and the GCSE's next summer!

Great to know we are not on our own. Hate feeling like this though. As some of you and my OH have said, selling the house is the dream maker or breaker so to sell so quickly is a blessing. Thank you all for your comments and help. Keep you posted,

Regards Allison, Alex and Connor xxx

Guest Matt & Suzi

In 2007 our house sale fell through and houses stopped selling altogether after that. It stopped us from going to Australia. We accepted an offer on our house in Aug and are due to exchange any day now (fingers crossed) but something is stalling it and we have a terrible feeling its going to fall through again. For us selling the house was the hardest part, so I would say except the offer and good luck.

Guest moviemummy

Hi

Can only agree with everything that all the guys are saying. We have all 'got the t-shirt!'. Buy an A4 hard back note book and make lists! Kept us on track and sane!

Good luck.

L x

Guest Ric & Paula

In 2009 we were in the same position,same time of year (I decorated the For Sale sidn with bats and webs for Halloween),we had an offer,they needed completion for Dec 12th,for school applications.We took a lower offer as we hadn't had a viewing in a whole month.We lost our Oz deposit for a house,due to accepting lower offer,but felt it was now or never.We moved into my Mums for a couple of months or so,in that time,Ric was offered a job here,boxes were sorted,we got a rental in Adelaide with the lovely Tamara,it was hard,emotions were EVERYWHERE,especially at Christmas.We had a time frame due to Ric accepting his nursing post,all the advice you have received has been sound advice.A rental in the Uk for 3 months might be a good idea,and may give you the time you need and it sounds as though the house market is still slow in the UK.We are still renting here,but if we had not taken the offer could still be there,and would have lost our chance.I remember lying on a blow up bed thinking,"What am I doing"...but so far do not regret what we've done.Good luck and make the most of your Xmas in the UK .

Thank you everyone........ You all sound like good friends to have.

Fed up of the neighbours asking where we are going, who is moving into the house etc. Never known such nosey people. One even asked if the buyers were the first people they saw coming round! They havent been told of our plans but will be shocked I am sure when we are renting down the road! They are driving me mad.

Just doubts going through my mind....have we enough money, what if we cant get jobs, we will never afford another UK house, what about our pensions etc etc. My mum is absolutely gutted and now has said she may not cope with the flight, then changes her mind and says she may only be able to visit once. Sorry to go on again! Sure things will turn out and it is only the start of our migration journey....Thanks again,

Allison x

Guest maxfactornackerlacker

Hey Allison,

Accepted an offer on our house on monday, and had all of the same feelings. The couple who want to buy, are in a rental, so if all goes well, they want to be in before Xmas,. Trouble is, my wife is adamant that she will NOT leave the house before Xmas !!!! Our plan is to have a rental in UK for a few months.

I am just ignoring the fact that there may be an issue with the completion date, in the hope that it might just all work out ??

The house sale, was the first time that My missus has panicked with the realisation that this is REAL.... guess by the sounds of some comments, that we are going to get plenty more of those i the future.

Anyway, just thought that uit might be reassuring to know that we are all experiencing similar emotions !

Cheers

Max

My advice is get rid of the house, we had an offer on our house about 5 weeks before we were due to fly but it didn,t complete until last Friday after been here 6 weeks , it's being hard living on credit cards and savings and worrying the house could fall through when we are already here settled and loving it, get rid and manage !

For us the house was the last big hurdle and probably the lowest point in the journey. We also made lists and spreadsheets as (especially in our advancing years) its so easy to forget things and we found them invaluable. There is a lot of helpful advice on this forum and even the occasional 'unhelpful' posts gave us food for thought.

Sounds like you've made some good friends along the way and I'm sure that will help you too. For us being near our family was our number one reason for being here and I really feel for those of you who leave (aged) parents, family and good friends behind - they seem to cause the strongest pull on the emotions and we all have different methods for coping. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I'm sure it will all be worth it once you arrive.

Guest Partridge.carl

Hi, my view is go for it. It's just part of the big Oz adventure. On the first of November my wife got a job offer and arrives on the 28th with kids in tow. I follow on at Xmas. It's been tiring but in 7 days we have rented a house, arranged rental furniture, sorted schools, rehomed animals etc........to be honest the buzz has been great. As we deal with estate agents at 2am UK time we have discovered that the support of a bottle of wine has added to the feel of it all!

Hi Allison

Hows it going???

Everything your feeling is natural, even your mums reaction....

Having met you I know your very rational and I must say everyone has a blip and the doubts do happen, its all very normal, I would sell now you have the offer and then rent till your ready to come over. As many people have said this is the big one that makes it all seem even more real.

You have visited here so know what its like so just visualise that (but with nicer weather as you were here in the winter!!) Its a big adventure, go with it everything will fall into place.

Good luck and as Partridge Carl say the wine does help

Take care

Kim

x