Daily Mail Article on Ping Pong Poms

Jessica Berry

Hi

My friend in the UK sent me the link to this article and I thought it might interest some people, as someone recently commented on a thread that they wondered what the reasons were for people returning to the UK.

We have lived here 4.5 years and love it, that is not to say it has all been plain sailing. It can be hard work starting your life over again and everyones journey will be different.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056167/Revealed-Why-thousands-Britons-emigrated-Australia-returning-home.html

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hmmm - Daily Mail. Silly woman - 'every place looks the same' - how can you say Brisbane, for example, looks the same as Adelaide? I know I haven't been to them yet, but just looking at the pictures shows you thats stupid. And as for Sydney not having any culture or history - um, she obviously hasn't actually been in Sydney then, because the rich history of the Rocks area is (imho) amazing, the Sydney Opera house has some amazing cultural acts, added to which Australia has the oldest culture in the world in the form of the Aboriginals.

Sorry, things like this really annoy me - nothing is all good or bad, everything has plus and minus points, but to say things that just aren't true is just very lazy imho - I'm sure there are 1001 bad things about Australia, but the old fall backs of 'no history, no culture' is just a) not true and b) lazy. It doesn't have the same history or culture as the UK, but if it did, what would be the point in moving to there? I don't want to move to a sunnier UK, I want to experience a different country. With the arts as represented in Australia as they are (and via the OH's work, this is something I've researched quite a bit) its just ludicrous to me to say Australia has no culture. Grrrrr.

stupid woman! Australia is a young country in terms of westinisation (if that's a word) of course it doesn't have much of a white history they only populated it back in the 1700's. Most of Europe and England have been inhabited by 'whites' since the Romans so of course there will be more history. As for culture Adelaide -Bound sums it up the oldest civilisation in the world!!!! Bloody POMS that's all I can say!!

All I think it show's is none of us really listen to advice about moving to Australia once up get to a certain point,well in my case i'm past caring now ,so we are going and thats that ,if I don't like it ,then we will have to pack up and move on ,but there's no way i'm not going to find out for myself :biggrin:

life is what you make of it, anywhere!

The decision to move here, for most people is not an easy, off the cuff rash idea; and the cost can be off putting.

The daily mail is renowned for sensational journalism, its a right wing rag, extolling the virtues of Britain and the British, happy to castigate ANYWHERE ELSE...........whilst banging on about the influx of migrants who cant speak the mother tongue, making unreasonable demands on the tax paying Englishman.............

Who cares if some people go back?? Its their decision, and they have the right to do so. I did notice one lady had moved from Sydney to Goldarming..........bound to be a bit different isnt it??

Oh and as for no theatre - really?! Adelaide has a fantastic art scene for a city of its size... I'm continue to be impresed. On that note I saw 'Sexual Perversions in Chicago' (Bakehouse Theatre, Angas St, city) last night and it was brilliant - this Saturday is it's last night - highly recommend, unless bad language offends you!

Same..... thinking Aus Ballet, the Aus film industry, saw a play last week " Holding The Man" which has global awards, hmmm Australian authors... and of course which country was so enthralled with Neighbours it felt the need to run it twice a day.....:P. This nation has been founded not just evolved and you just have to get out in to the country to see the history and the beautiful colours/ landscapes etc. AND there won't be 70 million people trying to cram into a third of Victoria in 20 years time! There are always people who don't settle here, the family that camped out at Melbourne airport and flew straight back and the lady who thought even the birds squawked loudly here rather than the soft warbles and cheeps of Brit birds... Nutters go home I say :D

I always think everyones migration experience is different. Even my partner and I have had very different experiences yet we have been on the same journey. My partner's migration experience would be a shining example of an absolute success story, whereas my experience in terms of employment has been one I could write a book about, but each experience I have had has lead me to the next chapter in my life.

A newly arrived pom recently asked me if there was anything I would have done differently if I had my time over again and straight away my answer was "no". We have a good life here, it has been an interesting journey and we have worked hard to get where we are today, but 4.5 years later we are reaping the rewards.