Our move back to the UK

Guest pauljoinoz

Guest pauljoinoz

Our move back to the Uk

We left adelaide mid August after much debate & consideration.

We were there more or less three years & they were great! We didn’t love Australia or hate it just wasn’t home.

We always planned on giving it two years but gave it a bit more, we had a beautiful house & our son was in a brilliant school so we felt we had ticked all the boxes & given it our best shot. There was always a feeling of it was a house & not a home & although we don’t have a huge family it was friends & familiarity that we missed the most.

We always felt that Australia was ok for now but not forever & after hearing so many stories of people living there for 20 years & regretting not returning we didn’t want to become one of those statistics.

We haven’t stopped smiling since returning home our son has fitted back in with all his friends, I walk everywhere now which I missed being able to do in Adelaide. The things we used to moan about in the UK are still here but we now realise nowhere is perfect & home is where the heart is! We had a fantastic experience living “Down Under” but so happy we came home too.

It's a awful feeling being in Limbo it's nice now we can just get on with life rather than having the whole 'will we or won't we' debate!!!

Just our side of the story everyone is different & I know there are plenty of people that get off the plane & nerve look back :0)

Jo

Hi, I think your story about your life in OZ is so true to the heart and at least you have tryed it as lifes to short to have regrets. I'm glad yous are happy at home and thats for some people may not be for others...have a great xmas with your family in the UK.

Glad to here all is well and you have settled back in again. I have just come back from the UK I thought it was going to be all dome and gloom no work etc but everyone I knew was in work and have a good work life balance. I even got offered a job when I was there I was tempted with the way the building trade work situation is over here at the moment. I know what you mean when you say Australia was ok for now but not forever we have been here 14 years and would like to go back to live at some point just don't know when.Hope you enjoy your time back in the UK.

Good to hear this and sometimes moving the other side of the world shows what you had. I think in England we dwell on the negative so we sometimes overblow what is wrong with our beautiful country, whereas Australians are mainly more positive so the disadvantages are less dwelled upon. The good side of "pommie whingeing" is that because we dwell on problems we eventually tend to tackle them.

Anyway pleased to hear this story,whereabouts are you back in UK?

Our move back to the Uk

We left adelaide mid August after much debate & consideration.

We were there more or less three years & they were great! We didn’t love Australia or hate it just wasn’t home.

We always planned on giving it two years but gave it a bit more, we had a beautiful house & our son was in a brilliant school so we felt we had ticked all the boxes & given it our best shot. There was always a feeling of it was a house & not a home & although we don’t have a huge family it was friends & familiarity that we missed the most.

We always felt that Australia was ok for now but not forever & after hearing so many stories of people living there for 20 years & regretting not returning we didn’t want to become one of those statistics.

We haven’t stopped smiling since returning home our son has fitted back in with all his friends, I walk everywhere now which I missed being able to do in Adelaide. The things we used to moan about in the UK are still here but we now realise nowhere is perfect & home is where the heart is! We had a fantastic experience living “Down Under” but so happy we came home too.

It's a awful feeling being in Limbo it's nice now we can just get on with life rather than having the whole 'will we or won't we' debate!!!

Just our side of the story everyone is different & I know there are plenty of people that get off the plane & nerve look back :0)

Jo

Been back in UK for a year and a half now and no regrets at all. We felt exactly the same as you and now appreciate the UK so much more after 5 years away. We lived the dream and then decided, like you that we didn't want to live there forever. No regrets about any of our decisions and enjoying Yorkshire again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest1255

nice to hear you are happy back in the uk.......keep hearing of folk that have went back and regreted it. i have been seriously considering returning for a few months now as i miss home so much.

Tracey x

• 4 weeks later...

HI , I've only been here for two months, but everything you said struck a chord with me ! we've also promised to give it at least two years ! we've rented ur house out in the uk for a year . My hubby son & daughter are loving it ! Really liked your post , not just slagging off Oz because you returned ! but thats so how i feel right now ! hope i don't in a year or two - wish me luck ! glad you're happy with your decision, but you had a good 3 years here too !

Hi Jo, thank u so much for your post, we haven't been here as long, coming up for 2 yrs, but feel tired with the "will we move back, won't we stuff", i am glad its going well, we do not have brill qualifications, really worried about job market, have q serious relationship issues, so not sure what we can go back to, do u mind me asking what part of uk did u return too?, did u find job hunting daunting? cheers