Can't wait to get to Oz and away from crime

Guest zamunda

Guest zamunda

Sadly one of the many downsides of living in Africa is crime. No matter where you live, they will get you! In most African countries the cops are pretty much lame.

This morning (at 4am) three men broke into a friend's place (living in a up market suburb), killed their two dogs, beat up the friend and his wife, tied their daughter of nine to a chair and took two cell phones and $100 equivalent in local currency.

I can only thank God that they were not harmed much more.

Also, I thank God we have got our 176Visa and moving over towards the middle of next year (wish it was sooner) with our two dogies.

Pray we don't have to expereince our friend's ordeal between now and the time we get the heck out of here.

My goodness, that is just horrendous to hear. Yes, they are very fortunate that things were not much worse but what a horrible experience for anyone, that will be so hard to forget.

Great that you have your visa to come here and while Adelaide is certainly not crime free, you will be pretty safe. I hope you don't experience anything like that in the time you have left and hopefully your time in Africa will pass quickly. Best of luck.

All best wishes to your friends and yourselves. It must take so much strength to be able to live where such horrific crimes seem to be part of 'normal' life. It humbles me.

Of course there is crime here, some of which is truly nasty, but in comparison with what we hear about Africa, well, I think you will all sleep easier.

Our school has had a couple of South African families visit recently. Later, we were talking about why they might have emigrated and thanks to this forum, I knew, shared and horrified my listeners. I don't think we really appreciate how everyday, or high-level, crime is over there.

My heart goes out to your friends.

LC

Sadly one of the many downsides of living in Africa is crime. No matter where you live, they will get you! In most African countries the cops are pretty much lame.

This morning (at 4am) three men broke into a friend's place (living in a up market suburb), killed their two dogs, beat up the friend and his wife, tied their daughter of nine to a chair and took two cell phones and $100 equivalent in local currency.

I can only thank God that they were not harmed much more.

Also, I thank God we have got our 176Visa and moving over towards the middle of next year (wish it was sooner) with our two dogies.

Pray we don't have to expereince our friend's ordeal between now and the time we get the heck out of here.

that is dreadful completely shameful to those people who committed the crime, hope your friends are ok and that poor little girl how appalling, i can't get it in my head how someone can do such a thing to innocent people especially kids. you need to tell them to get a visa.

Guest bidsandrew

Stevo, occassionally is the key word! Although I have spent the last 15 years in the UK, I grew up in South Africa and unfortunatly it is a very regular ocurrance.

Zamunda, I am so sorry to hear your story and hope your friends recover as best they can. I hope your remaining months are event free and you can start your new lives in Oz soon.

Guest zamunda

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

Our friends are being strong and trying to continue with life. But it certainly is hard. Their daughter is taking it real bad. Will not got to sleep at night without the light on and misses their dogs very much.

Unfortunately this is (amongst other things) a huge problem here in Southern Africa (with the exception of a few countries like Namibia). Crime is all over the world, but that makes the difference is how (like with anything else) it is managed and controlled. In Africa there is absolutely no management. Cops are pretty useless.

We have six/seven foot walls around our houses, electric fences, garden motion beams, alarms,etc and yet they find a way to get in.

We had a break in last year (thankfully we were not in the house) and quite a number of items were taken. We really did not care about the material stuff that was taken. Thats why we take out insurance. However, our hearts were broken when we discovered that they had taken our poodle as well. This happened during mid morning.

As said earlier, we pray that we don't have to expereicne any of this sort btween now and the time we leave. We simply love our two Rotties and pray for their safety as well.

Guest Squareman

To reiterate what others have said, HERE, you read about it in the newspapers once or twice a year and yes, its usually drug related. In south africa, it happens to EVERYBODY! There isnt a single person in my entire south african family of parents, siblings, aunts, unckes, cousins etc whi HASNT been held up at gunpoint at least once.

I thank my lucky stars every single day that I managed to escape Joburg.