John Terry

sidestep

Whilst not approving in any way racial abuse, it does seem way out of proportion to prosecute him for a criminal offence, for something that was said privately in the heat of a game. Can't any kind of punishment be kept within the FA ? If he'd said similar words to a white person it would go unnoticed (and unpunished). What about when Rooney deliberately swore at the camera-man (and the whole world) after scoring a goal - I found that pretty offensive. Not condoning his behaviour but I think the world has gone mad.

I'm not the greatest lip reader in the world but even I could work out what he actually said. I reckon he should be banned from all football forever. Not because what he said, but the fact that he said it to one of my beloved QPR players. Oh and the fact I think he is in my opinion the most over rated player (apart from Dennis Wise) ever to be allowed to wear The Three Lions. :biglaugh:

You could argue it was only the last word was out of order but when strung with the previous words it makes it worse. I guess the police feel, that because it was so public, Terry should be made an example of. Beats me if he maintains a place in the England squad. What will he say 'in the heat of the moment' when playing African team?:unsure:

How is racism a criminal offence!? If he called the player fat or ugly, would he be up before a court?

Strangely, here in Australia, insulting your opponent in cricket is almost encouraged - it's known as Sledging and there have been articles in the papers about some of the 'best sledging' - such as calling Shane Warne fat and making comments about other players' wives... Not racial I know, but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you see this sort of thing treated so lightly!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/foxsportscomau-takes-a-look-at-the-greatest-sledges-in-cricket-history/story-e6frf3g3-1225975348816

Guest Tterrier81

how can this be a criminal offence? 2 days ago they banned suarez for 8 games for doing the exact same thing. i dont believe john terry was being racist ( and before anyone says anything, yes i have seen the video and yes u can see him mouth the word n****r, but you cant see what other words were said)

Do they mike up the refs in football these days like they do the rugby ones?

I don't think they do (yet). They have mics on but only wired up to talk to the people in the box or the sidelines I think.

If watching a football game on TV you generally see no end of players swearing at each other, the ref or to thin air. The f word us used excessively, as are other words. You often pick things up sound wise as there are mics pitchside and if a player is close enough, you can hear what they are saying on occasion.

Strangely, here in Australia, insulting your opponent in cricket is almost encouraged - it's known as Sledging and there have been articles in the papers about some of the 'best sledging' - such as calling Shane Warne fat and making comments about other players' wives... Not racial I know, but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you see this sort of thing treated so lightly!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/foxsportscomau-takes-a-look-at-the-greatest-sledges-in-cricket-history/story-e6frf3g3-1225975348816

Diane,

It's part of cricket and has been for years i used to get some fearful abuse being an Aussie in the 80's and then that changed in the 90's to 2000's but it is now changing back. You just give it back and at the end of the day when both sides are walking off it's all forgotten about - it is just part of the game. By the way the Aussie's are considered the masters of it :notworthy:

Ok but if I read this situation correctly, John Terry was abusing another player on the basis of the colour of his skin - i.e. on an aspect of his looks, not of his nationality or race - so how is that any worse than calling someone fat, or ugly, or ginger? Not saying it's not offensive, because I find the exchange "why are you so fat?" "Because your wife gave me a biscuit every time we slept together" just as offensive!

Ok but if I read this situation correctly, John Terry was abusing another player on the basis of the colour of his skin - i.e. on an aspect of his looks, not of his nationality or race - so how is that any worse than calling someone fat, or ugly, or ginger? Not saying it's not offensive, because I find the exchange "why are you so fat?" "Because your wife gave me a biscuit every time we slept together" just as offensive!

I can see how some people can find this just as offensive as a racial slur but you have to admit its a cracking reply !!!!!

LOL oh agreed on both counts, but when does sledging someone about their personal appearance cross the line into racism? It's probably an intent thing I guess - with sledging being meant jokily (bit like the aussies calling their best mate a b**&tard) and the John Terry thing being said with the intent to belittle or wound. I think if I was John Terry's defence lawyer though I'd be claiming he was only 'sledging'!