centrelink

Guest chris 123

Guest chris 123

this is a good one ,it seems when i get married centre link drop me from a single dsp to a married one ,even though my wife will not be earning any money untill she finds a job wich could take ages now days,and be cause she is from overseas she gets no goverment assistance ,like no new start nothing ,we will be living on about 270 dollars a week between us,two can live cheeper than one , god they are smart people.

Lol it might seem like that but I guess it's because Centrelink is supposed to be a net when we are desperate, and the idea is that you do everything in your power to be financially independant but if that isn't possible then, we the Australian taxpayers, will be there to help you.

When we first came over, my husband took a job within a fortnight. He came over prepared to do anything to finance our life here. The last thing we wanted was to be perceived as bludgers - and immigrant bludgers at that lol! Having two kids meant we were entitled to some assistance, which we took although we turned down the concession cards etc, and when I first found employment it meant that I would be putting in the hours to be less than $100 better off. It would have been so easy to continue taking but that wouldn't have been right for us. Not a good example to set the kids, not fair on the taxpayer etc.

Since that time I have worked with people who are caught in what seems the madness of Centrelink (14 hours and you're eligible,15 hours and you lose everything etc) and I totally get what you are saying but, as I said before, Centrelink is there for when you are desperate. Personal lifestyle choices cannot always be accomodated by the state system. After all, it's wonderful and very romantic that your girlfriend is joining you,but it is your choice - and I'm sure love and hard work will make everything work well for you :)

Good luck with your beautiful future,

:wubclub: LC

Lol it might seem like that but I guess it's because Centrelink is supposed to be a net when we are desperate, and the idea is that you do everything in your power to be financially independant but if that isn't possible then, we the Australian taxpayers, will be there to help you.

When we first came over, my husband took a job within a fortnight. He came over prepared to do anything to finance our life here. The last thing we wanted was to be perceived as bludgers - and immigrant bludgers at that lol! Having two kids meant we were entitled to some assistance, which we took although we turned down the concession cards etc, and when I first found employment it meant that I would be putting in the hours to be less than $100 better off. It would have been so easy to continue taking but that wouldn't have been right for us. Not a good example to set the kids, not fair on the taxpayer etc.

Since that time I have worked with people who are caught in what seems the madness of Centrelink (14 hours and you're eligible,15 hours and you lose everything etc) and I totally get what you are saying but, as I said before, Centrelink is there for when you are desperate. Personal lifestyle choices cannot always be accomodated by the state system. After all, it's wonderful and very romantic that your girlfriend is joining you,but it is your choice - and I'm sure love and hard work will make everything work well for you :)

Good luck with your beautiful future,

:wubclub: LC

agreed, just like peoples choice to start family then whinge they not getting enough financial help

agreed, just like peoples choice to start family then whinge they not getting enough financial help

Oh you are naughty Smit!

We had our children because we wanted them, they were planned and we knew we could afford them. Have we turned down benefits? No, we bloomin' well haven't! Why? Because we have, are and will be putting into the system. Payments are made from money raised from us, the taxpayer and are there not just to ensure kids are looked after, but also to make it easier for people to afford them.

Australia needs kids. Simple as.

LC

Guest chris 123

thanks lc yes i understand what you mean,and im no bludger either i have worked and worked hard for 35 years in the one job,but had to stop 4 health reasons ,and at the time i had to give up my job iwas earning about 600 a week and had to go on pension of about 200 a week so it was a very unwilling choice i had to make , but your rite i made that choice i had to, but what i mean is centrelink say i can live in 750 a fortnight,but 2 of us can live on about 500 a fortnight lol,dont add up to me two can not live cheeper than one . but she is a very hard working women she is at work now in japan ,gets up at 6 travels to work and starts at 8 finishes at about 7 then 2 hrs to get back home its a big day for her . she will get a job soon after arriving im sure . but my point is the way centrelink think.any way thanks 4 your comment chris

Guest chris 123
Dont moan about government not supporting your wife when she comes over, tax payers should not support new migrants. Everyone in England used to moan about the europeans coming over and draining the DSS and health system!
see you to have it all wrong i am not moaning about it i am simply stating the facts two can not live as cheap as one its a fact.

Guest cazzie
see you to have it all wrong i am not moaning about it i am simply stating the facts two can not live as cheap as one its a fact.

Gosh, reactions are so negative sometimes! I totally agree with the point you are making Chris; they expect you to live on a minimum amount but they also expect another person with you to live on even less! Bonkers. Hope your partner lands a job real soon and your finances get sorted out. Good luck.

Guest Guest5035
there is no game stevo your either married or single ,married man so much,single man so much.

this is a good one ,it seems when i get married centre link drop me from a single dsp to a married one ,even though my wife will not be earning any money untill she finds a job wich could take ages now days,and be cause she is from overseas she gets no goverment assistance ,like no new start nothing ,we will be living on about 270 dollars a week between us,two can live cheeper than one , god they are smart people.

the game is...don't get married until she has a job, be abit smarter..

stevo

the game is...don't get married until she has a job, be abit smarter..

stevo

I understand what Chris is trying to say. Just stating a fact. I don't see it as a moan. And Centrelink is Centrelink - doesn't really matter if you are married or not because Centrelink still considers you married if you are in a defacto relationship. People don't get married for financial reasons do they?

Guest Guest5035
I understand what Chris is trying to say. Just stating a fact. I don't see it as a moan. And Centrelink is Centrelink - doesn't really matter if you are married or not because Centrelink still considers you married if you are in a defacto relationship. People don't get married for financial reasons do they?

i quite understand what he's saying, i'm saying he can have more money if he requires it, (and i think thats his drift) and "plays the game" like many thousands of other couples in a defacto relationship..don't break the rules, you just stretch them

stevo

Gosh, reactions are so negative sometimes! I totally agree with the point you are making Chris; they expect you to live on a minimum amount but they also expect another person with you to live on even less! Bonkers. Hope your partner lands a job real soon and your finances get sorted out. Good luck.

My hubby who wrote that post wasn't being negative he was stating a fact too. we would be better off if we stayed at home and didn't work but we choose not to drain the system (not saying you are Chris). we took crap jobs and worked for crap money when we 1st came and the are 3 of us and we had to pay for our sons medical problem.

Guest chris 123

yes i understand tina and that is exactly what we are going 2 do she is going to take the first job she can,but im from tasmania and not much going on there now ,what im trying to point out is centrelinc seem to think two people can live as cheep as one and they simply can not thats all ,im no buldger either i worked in the one job for 38 years then had to leave because of health. i to payed tax and a lot of it ,all i would like centrelinc to do would be leave me on my current rate of pension untill she can get a job,not pay her but at least leave my pay the same but they dont once you marry you drop down to married pension,just me not her she gets nothing and thats fair enough but at least dont punish me just because i marry , and it will be the first time to and im 58 lol ,im one of the lucky ones i have some money put aside but what about the ones that dont think of them ,in love but cant do much about it.