brown Snakes and pets

Guest Gina & Alan

Guest Gina & Alan

Our beautiful pure white long haired cat Jerry Pusskins was bitten by a brown snake last week , we got him to the vets who says yes 90% chance he will be ok so we went ahead he died a horrible death 5 hours later and now i have a $1000 bill to find

outrageous we live in Southern suburbs and went close by

make a decision before you part with your hard earned becos there is always a man in a white coat who will make that decision for you

Alan

Guest jillabong

ahh no!!! this is terrible on all accounts!!!

Where in Hallett Cove do you live if you dont mind me asking? I am so worried about Browns!!!

so sorry for your loss!!

Jill

Guest Heather2011
Our beautiful pure white long haired cat Jerry Pusskins was bitten by a brown snake last week , we got him to the vets who says yes 90% chance he will be ok so we went ahead he died a horrible death 5 hours later and now i have a $1000 bill to find

outrageous we live in Southern suburbs and went close by

make a decision before you part with your hard earned becos there is always a man in a white coat who will make that decision for you

Alan

I am so sorry for you; we have just lost 3 cats here in the UK due to anti freeze poisoning. They also died in extreme pain so i can genuinely share your pain and sadness.

That is so sad, I really feel for you all. Our cat brought home a baby brown about 18 months ago and very soon his legs started to go wobbly so OH rushed him and the (by then dead) snake to the vets straight away. Luckily because it was so soon after the bite, and they knew exactly what had bitten him, they were able to get him on the correct anti-venon straight away and after an overnight stay and - like you - a $1000 bill, he made a full recovery thank goodness. I have now got both cats insured, so if and when you feel ready to get another cat, that is definitely worth considering.

A lot of people here have indoor cats for this and many other reasons, but unfortunately it proved impossible to train my family to shut doors after themselves all the time, so we now try to keep our two cats in during the day in the summer, and just let them out at night (apparently snakes are not out at night, hiding in their holes to preserve their body heat, although I don't know if that's true). Unfortunately snakes are a danger to pets here, however hard you try to avoid them, but I figure there's probably just as much danger of being run over.

Again, you have my full sympathy - it's heartbreaking to lose one of your family like this, or indeed, in any other way.

By the way, someone told my OH that if a cat gets bitten and you don't have them insured, you could try wrapping them really tightly in a towel, so that they can't move at all for as long as possible, because it's the movement that pumps the venom around their bodies so if you can stop that happening, they might still have a chance without a huge vets bill - but I know if it was me I would rush them to the vets thinking that was the best thing you could do, hence why I took out insurance.