Decent news source: what do you use?

Guest ladyarkles

Guest ladyarkles

Can anyone point me at a decent (reliable and not Murdoch related) news source?

I really miss having BBC News 24, ABC is just not doing it for me.

We only have the freeview channels and I really can't find anything that feels relevant.

I still visit BBC online, but they don't even have a section for Australia.

Sky News.com is abysmal - it's like trying to read an advert on a speeding bus whilst having a trombone played in your ear.

Yahoo and MSN news - they are happy to update me on celebrities that I don't know or care about.

UK broadsheets online - some are now pay to read (Yeah, over my dead body, Rupert!) and the tabloids are full of saturated factoids.

As a temporary fix, I get the International Herald Tribune delivered to my Kindle (Mon-Sat) and am stuck with reading the Advertiser on Sundays.

I was getting The Independent kindle edition, but it wasn't coming in until nearly tea-time, which was no good at all.

What do others do for their news fix?

I'm fed up with that Rob bloke on Channel 9 saying "Today, in Adelaide, nothing happened (again) except bikes and fires. Goodnight"

HELP!

~ Rachel

Try the ABC that is on 972 rather than 891..... it's not as good as BBC (that's what the iplayer is for!) but it does take feeds from them and Deutsche Welle (sp?) and a Public News Station in the States. It's what my shower radio is tuned to!

PS Don't knock the 'nothing happens in Adelaide' thing - after years of working in London when the IRA and then Al Qaeda had it on the top of their radars, it's very nice to be somewhere no terrorist (except David Hicks!) has probably ever heard of!

Oh, and I get all my info on international news from the News Quiz, Radio 4 on Friday nights (available to listen to on our Saturday morning!!)

Guest Sachertorte

Agree with you Diane! Normally the news in the UK concern crime, tragedy etc.... it really is good that not much of that happens here and was it not the point of coming here to detox from it all? Also the "filler" news in the UK is much to do with the gossip about celebs, the Royal Family, the rich list...

Having said that I personally do miss The Guardian for the reviews of shows, music, books, interviews etc

I find The Australian and especially The Weekend Australian cerebrally more engaging than the 'Tiser...

Guest ladyarkles

I don't miss the doom and gloom, but I do miss political comment, discussion of social issues and community news.

To be honest, I don't really care if Angelina Jolie breastfeeds baboons or whether the X Factor winner likes to sleep in a Batman costume; but I am interested in what is going on around me.

It could be because I am thirsty to find out more about this country and how it works, thinks and runs.

I'll try those suggestions, though. Thanks.

~ Rachel

Hi Rachael

There are various software packages that allow your PC to look like it is in the UK and therefore watch BBC News 24. You will however have a problem with the line that asks "Do you have a TV licence" !!!!!

If you search the posts on this site you will find what is best as the subject has come up before, but I can't remember which one was most recommended.

IrishStew (OH)

SBS is interesting and it has the news from other countries ie Telefrance, RAI uno etc in the mornings, evening is international.

Personally I think that is one really boring thing here people are not at all political , they do not even have a The Sun which gives everyone an opinion even if it is awful in the UK. No one here talks politics and they just seem very insular and I work in a political environment with the odd exception. I miss that more than anything. It is all sport

Guest ladyarkles
Hi Rachael

There are various software packages that allow your PC to look like it is in the UK and therefore watch BBC News 24. You will however have a problem with the line that asks "Do you have a TV licence" !!!!!

If you search the posts on this site you will find what is best as the subject has come up before, but I can't remember which one was most recommended.

IrishStew (OH)

I have one of those *ahem* packages, as I hate to miss QI and HIGNFY. I've used the same one for years (all over the world) and it is pretty reliable and reasonable, too.

I was just wondering if there is anything to be sourced locally.

It would just be lovely to sit down with a huge paper on Sundays and read some in-depth stuff, or watch a well researched TV programme about something other than celebrity or sensational crime. I suppose I thought I was missing something!!

I do like sport, but would love to know what goes on here (especially) politically - I mean, who are all these people that keep sending me calendars?

Thanks for all your input. If I find anything better on offer, I shall report back!

~ Rachel

Guest Jo&Phil

Radio: ABC 972 news radio is good for news and ABC 729 Radio National is like Radio 4 ... I love it! Try Fran Kelly in the mornings on ABC 729 (back on next week I think when summer schedule ends)

TV News: Try SBS for good world news.

Newspapers: I read the Australian (but only because there isn't anything else) but I also read UK papers online. At the weekend I quite like The Age but I completely agree it's not like the pile of weekend papers in the UK. I'm not a fan of the 'Tiser' and don't actually know anyone who is .......... though everyone still reads it. It took me quite a while to get used to such a limited newspaper choice.

I can't abide Today Tonight or A Current Affair or any of the 'judge, jury and executioner' / product placement shows

I also get the Weekly International Telegraph delivered - (my Mum pays the subscription for me every year for Christmas) - which means I can keep sort of up to date with world stuff, albeit sometimes a week or two in arrears. SBS World News at 9:30 pm is probably the only TV programme that even accepts there is a World outside Australia (although it's still called "World News Australia for some reason"!) - and worth watching just because some of the male presenters are decent eye candy! And of course, if you get Foxtel you can get BBC News and Sky News.