Help Needed For Newspaper Article

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there everyone

I have been asked to write a few notes on various subjects for an Emigrate newspaper in the UK and was wondering if I could get some help? Because we live in the south, I only have knowledge of stuff down this way and I wanted to create an overall picture for readers back in the UK.

I need to write a few lines on each subject:

Best Neighbourhoods

Restaurants

Bars

Schools

Entertainment venues/festivals

Outdoor activities

Kids entertainment

Shopping

Trips outside the city

So for those who can help .... could you?

As usual with all newspapers, they have not given me very much time, need to have something back VERY early this week.

Thanks a mil ....

Regs

Sas

xxxx

Guest salisbury massive

Ok here is a North East point of view, its MY personal opinion so I don't want any crap back from anyone.

Best Neighbourhoods

I like Salisbury Heights (obviously) Greenwith, Golden Grove, Tea Tree Gully, Highbury and Athelstone. All these suburbs have great shopping, good public transport, schools with good reputations and easy access to the City and the Hills.

Restaurants, well a bit hit and miss but Tea Tree Gully pub has an excellent restaurant, Safieras in Modbury is good, so it the Civic Park Restaurant. The restaurant in The Norton Summit Pub is outstanding and my favourite place to eat is Restaurant 66 on King William Road at Goodwood.

sorry can't really help with bars apart from The Fox and Firkin at Tea Tree Gully, yes its a british pub but you get proper pints and guiness.

Schools to recommend. Golden Grove Primary & High. Greenwith Primary, Ardornish at Tea Tree Gully, Kings Baptist Grammar School, Pedare Christian College (private) Keithcott Farm at Wynn Vale (primary) Modbury High School

Well obviously there is the Fringe, Clipsal, Womalaide, Every year at Civic Park Modbury there is a free Spectacular with games, rides and shows, also a concert, its Ricki-Lee this year. The Gawler Show usually August and then the Adelaide Show in September,

kids entertainment, cinemas, Adelaide aquatics, Waterworld at Ridgehaven, don't forget Dawns Wacky Warehouse and The beachhouse at Glenelg.

Shopping I'd recommend Harbour Town, Elizabeth Shopping Mall, its massive and also Munno Para

Trips outside the city, You can go to the Jacobs Creek Visitors Centre in the Hills, book for lunch and have some wine tasting chucked in for free. The Giant Rocking horse at Gummeracha, Gorge Wildlife Park at Gorge. Harndorf, Mount Lofty, The Whispering Wall at Williamstown, Morialta Park. Waterfall Gully.

Jo

Best neighbourhoods-Unley, Burnside, Mitcham-can't go far wrong with these but expensive

Restaurants-not been to that many but the ones I have visited were excellent, Tap Inn and Goodlife pizza excellent, Hutt Street, O'Connell, Melbourne Street to name a few good areas...

Bars-not my forte (small children) but the Tap Inn has an indoor golf range!

Schools-where do you start, we have everything here ranging from Scotch College, Mercedes, Prince Alfred etc to small state schools, all seem to be pretty good and its just a matter of choice where you send them, we have chosen small private which is excellent

Entertainment-all very accessible, Miss Saigon was fantastic, mum and dad rocked to Lionel Richie, my husband despairs at the 20/20 standard but enjoys it and tries to watch Adelaide United when he can, I want to see Duran Duran and James Blunt(bit sad I know), all this within a 10 min drive of our house, and you can park!!!!

Outdoor-friends with a barbie, vineyards for a plate of cheese, beaches for a splash and fish and chips, Belair for a close encounter with a koala/emu, the Hills for a wander, it goes on...

Kids entertainment-depending on age, sport, Beach House at Glenelg, playgroups, skate parks, play areas, beach etc

Shopping-the City itself has everything you need, Burnside for 'posh shops', Unley for your everyday needs, Central Markets at the weekend, Marion for an air conditioned day out, local supermarkets seem to have pretty good quality stuff too

Trips outside the City-Barossa, Victor Harbor, Murray Mouth, Normanville, Middleton, Harndorf, Hills Vineyards etc

Hope this helps!

Joanne

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hey thanks guys - really needed some help with suburbs which are not south (where i am) so i can get typing later today and send them some stuff.

any more info would help .... especially bars/nightlife in city .... don't get out much with my two!

regs

sas

xxx

I bet I get some flak for this, and I really don't mean to seem argumentative (..which of course means I'm going to...!) but I think it's wrong of them to ask for your opinion on the 'best neighbourhoods'.

For a start would that mean 'best neighbourhoods' in/surrounding Adelaide or the whole of SA? There are some lovely neighbourhoods further out such as Robe, Whyalla, Black Point etc but I doubt whether many of us would have enough 'time in' to comment realistically, which could limit someone should they base their decision on where to live by the information offered.

We have lived in two different neighbourhoods. I like them both, but are they the 'best neighbourhoods'? I don't know. I do know that over the years my opinion has changed as my experience grows, which is why I would never, ever advise anyone regarding where to live. Or where not to live!

I appreciate that anyone who offers their opinion does so with the best intentions and personal knowledge, and I really don't mean to seem rude or cause offence -devil's advocate perhaps?

Back to the question, for outdoor activities/festivals etc...might I add: the festivals for different cultures such as Carnivale, Chinese New Year (just had both!) Greek festival, Indian festival, Moonlight and Sunset cinemas, all the free fireworks/bands etc round new year/ Australia Day etc, Adelaide Cup, the Anzac Day parades (not everyone's cup of tea I suppose), ooh..FOOTY PARK (for AFL obv. :)),the Proclamation Day thing at Glenelg (perhaps just once?), Rugby Sevens, rodeos (not for me, but), the City to Bay and the Million Paws walk (both nice community events), the markets-farmers and otherwise!, cherry blossom festival-thing (can't remember it's name!)....

As for kids entertainment, perhaps motocross (boys and their motorbikes!), ice-skating, school sports including pedal prix, laser-gaming and all the outdoor ovals, parks and reserves.

There's so much that you could write I really don't envy you! And as you can see, being short and to the point escapes me!:confused:Good luck!

:wubclub:LC

Guest caoimhe

Hi Sas,

I don't have anything to add to your article but I did enjoy the replies especially from Salisbury Massive as that's the area's we are considering.

Good luck with the article, maybe you could post on here for all us wannabe's to read

Jacqueline

Guest Guzzler&Sas

thanks again guys - with regard to the neighbourhoods/suburbs, I was going to be very vague for exactly that reason because who knows what people like and it is the age old thread on here or other forums which always gets everyone going! So vagueness is the best way to be here, but trying to be informative!

Will do my best ....

Regs

Sas

its always a very subjective view in regard to what is the 'best'. The couple I have stated are ones that the Australian people we have met would regard as a 'good' place much the same as someone would state that Kensington/Chelsea is a 'good' neighbourhood-they may never have lived there! Whether they match everyones needs is a completely different matter because everyone wants different things. The fact that they are perceived as desirable is reflected in the prices!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hello again

a big thank you to everyone who had comments for the article. I sent the email to them today and all being well, I will see a hard copy of the article when it goes to print. Had a great time this morning cutting and pasting everyone's comments - thanks a mil to LC, Richjop and Salisbury Massive - could not have done it without you.

:notworthy:

Cheers

Sas

xxxx