Moving to Aus - Lots of questions

Guest Laura mai

Guest Laura mai

Hi to all, I have only just joined this forum so not too sure how it works as of yet. But here we go anyway... Basically myself, my husband and our 2 young boys are seriously thinking of moving to oz, we are looking at a caravan tomorrow to live in for a year so we can save, save, save! My husband is a plumber, he has done his NVQ 2 & 3. He also has a certificate in a solar panel course plus a few other things under his belt. Just wondering if there will be plenty of work for him in the Adelaide area? I've been told this is the area to go for?? Also has anyone had their dog flown over to oz? And how much was it?? Thanks in advance.. Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and welcome :) I've moved this to a thread of its own for you so more people see it and hopefully reply.

I can only help with the dog aspect. Couple of things, first, what size is your dog? Second, if you are planning on doing the move in the next year or so, you need to make sure you have the rabies stuff done and allow time for this (6 months or so) as new regulations came in at the start of this year so its not so straightforward now.

There is a thread explaining about the rabies changes here on our sister site

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/126993-urgent-update-shipping-pets.html

With regards to shipping, there are a fair few reputable companies and iirc Ktee on here recommeneds Pet Air pet shippers. But you need to shop around, get some quotes in and ensure you go with the company you feel happiest with (bear in mind cheapest is not always best when it comes to live animals and shipping). The crates for shipping are made to order, big solid wooden things and its based on the dogs size, not weight. So if your dog is small, then it'll obviously cost less than shipping a Great Dane :cute:

To give you an idea, we were quoted in the region of £2300 for shipping our whippet. Someone with a lab sized dog was closer to £3000. A jack Russell, less, around £1500-1800 or so. That is not inclusive of quarantine and other things. Quarantine stations are in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth and usually book in advance. Melbourne is usually the one most people seem to use for Adelaide. Some drive down to collect, others fly their dog up. Quarantine costs can be gotten direct from the kennels themselves. Melbourne is this one http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/accom/spotswood

Hi to all, I have only just joined this forum so not too sure how it works as of yet. But here we go anyway... Basically myself, my husband and our 2 young boys are seriously thinking of moving to oz, we are looking at a caravan tomorrow to live in for a year so we can save, save, save! My husband is a plumber, he has done his NVQ 2 & 3. He also has a certificate in a solar panel course plus a few other things under his belt. Just wondering if there will be plenty of work for him in the Adelaide area? I've been told this is the area to go for?? Also has anyone had their dog flown over to oz? And how much was it?? Thanks in advance.. Laura

My dog is a cocker spaniel costing me £1800 plus her vaccinations and blood tests, she had her rabies vaccination yesterday, she is already ID chipped and up to date with her flea and worm treatment. :smile: