Advice needed, buying puppy

Guest Maria Day

Guest Maria Day

Hello,

I need an advice from anyone who's had experienced buying pet interstate. We found a puppy we like but it's in Darwin.we tried looking locally but couldn't find a Beagle pup. The breeder said she will deliver the pup via courier door to door. Has anyone done this before? Just worried for the puppy's condition by the time it gets here. Any advice would greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Maria.

I bought a red setter puppy from up near the NSW / Vic border. He was flown to Adelaide for around $ 120 which was significantly cheaper then driving there and back. I dare say most puppies sleep on the flight and he was just the same as if I had picked him up myself. He had a blanket that he'd used at the breeders so at least there was some recognisable smell for him on the plane.

I'd get a dog flown in again with no worries. However, if you're getting a beagle remember to tell it that flights are now all no smoking!

Guest Maria Day

Spanner,

Thanks for the advice. Forgot to update my location otherwise it would have a very long journey for d poor pup lols! Happy to say been here for over 3 weeks now and had promise my kids a puppy to help them settle down. :))

Guest Jo&Phil

We bought a puppy from NSW .. he flew in and we collected him from the airport (Air Express) ... easy transport for him and much better than endless hours in the car ... he was fine.

I'm surprised that you can't find a Beagle in SA ... as we know several of them who are all South Australian. Have you tried dogs4sale and dogzonline websites?

Guest MozzieBait

Can't set up a link... I may be completely wrong in this case, but there is a group on FB called SA DOG RESCUE... They posted a warning about buying beagles advertised on gumtree from Darwin... Its apparently a big money spinner.... I'll paste as much info as I can, but maybe take a look on facebook....

A cautionary tale - do NOT fall for this kind of scam!safe_image.php?d=AQCe6yKndXhTzxzK&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgc.classistatic.com%2Fcps%2Fkjc%2F120129%2F336r1%2F1861k5_19.jpegLovable Beagle Puppy

adelaide.gumtree.com.aulovable male beagle puppy for adoption 8mths old.... micro-chipped, has had all vacs great family pet good with small children regretful adoption but needs to be re-homed asap

Guest Maria Day

Hi All,

Hi hope it's not the case Mossie, the puppy I am looking at is 2 mos old female and breeder said we give payment on dog arrival. I will contact the breeder and find out more info. Thanks.

I think its also worth pointing out that there are a lot of Puppy Farms here in Australia, Before buying check they are registered with the kennel club or something similar, ask for references. Might seem a bit over the top but it could save you lots of $$$ in vet bills

Most Vets would recommend that you see the pup in its own surroundings with its parents. I appreciate its in Darwin, but if you really can't find one in SA how about a flight up there to see it and check out the breeders. Have you tried contacting the Australian Kennel Club, they should be able to put you intouch with reputable breeders. At least that way you would be able to check them out. Its really not a good idea buying blind!.

Think things through ( which I am sure you are doing) .... would you but a car or a house without seeing it first?.

Please never buy a pup without seeing it and verifying the breeder is legit. Too many puppies in Aus are from puppy farms and are ill, have issues and often social problems and more. Can cost their owners thousands in vets bills but also often end up dumped or handed in to rescues.

Go via the Aus KC for a legit local breeder and don't just settle on the first one with pups available. Be prepared to wait for the right dog locally and see the mum before pups arrive if possible, so you know it's her having them, then go back to see mum and pups together when smallish still, then again to choose one.

Honestly, puppy farms are rife in Aus and you could end up with more than just a huge pile of vets bills. The heartache you may go through with a pup bought blind would be terrible for your family.

Fwiw are you used to beagles and their traits? Ie total lack of recall and big tendency to wander off if off lead ever? They are good natured dogs but usually very poor to train and let off lead.

I am sure you could find a good genuine local breeder even if it means you wait a couple of months. If you are going to make a lifetime commitment to get a dog, do it right from the beginning. Far better to wait a little longer than buy a pup in a very dodgy way via long distance.

Pleas I cannot stress enough how not to go about getting a pup. Reconsider, even if it means you wait a while and find a good local breeder who is genuine and who will hopefully have had first jabs done, worked, full papers and hopefully even insurance for the first couple of weeks for you. And who will also be happy to take the pup back if for some reason you can't keep it.

Guest Maria Day

Thank you Snifter, i did a lot of research about the breed and will look more into it. Although, I am not aware that they have a high tendency to wander off but I suppose most dog will do that if not well trained. I am not on the rush and will keep looking locally. We decided on Beagle as we think the size and temperament is well suited for small children.

A friend of mine used to have two beagles - she lived in Lincolnshire which was incredibly flat. I remember her letting them off the lead one day and they just set off, disappearing into the distance, didn't look back once, despite her calling and whistling and trying everything to get their attention - with the flatness of the land, we could see them getting further and further away until they were just tiny dots! I think they came back a day or so later.... and hers were really well trained!

Oh, and beagles are really smelly dogs - not in a bad way, just that , being hounds, they smell very "doggy" if you keep them in the house.

Thank you Snifter, i did a lot of research about the breed and will look more into it. Although, I am not aware that they have a high tendency to wander off but I suppose most dog will do that if not well trained. I am not on the rush and will keep looking locally. We decided on Beagle as we think the size and temperament is well suited for small children.

They are well known to be wanderers if the highest order :P I've not met any Beagle kept as a pet that can be let off lead in a public space. All are walked on a harness and lead for long distances. The pet/show strain is still very close to the working roots as they were not kept as pets till much more recently. Therefore the instinct to follow a scent, any scent, is strong.

Did you look at Cavaliers? Lovely dogs with excellent nature, similar size and so on. And far more easily trained and trust worthy off lead. And plenty of other breeds also would be suitable if you decided to not go for a Beagle.

Hi Maria I have a beagle x cavalier for our teenage daughter , we got her not long after we arrived.. She has a lovely temperament ,very good natured but very hard work.. We have had dogs and puppies all our lives and I must say she is the most hyper we have had althoe at 5 months she is starting to calm down..she is the smallest dog we have ever owned but must say our chocolate lab we used to have was the best temperament... I would say not to go for a puppy you have never seen as you need to give them a good look over check eyes and ears see what personality is like .. And do beware of pet shops and puppy farms.. We got ours out of paper and saw her with her mum... Good look with your search ... Oh and they don't smell any more than any other dog too!!!!

Canine governing body in SA is DogsSA.

Would be worth meeting with a reputable breeder and meeting their dogs before making a final decision. Everyone has their own preferences over breed and only you will know if it may/may not fit your particular family, but by meeting several breeders you will not only get a feel for the breed but also the temperment of the different kennels...

Hi Maria Day,

I can only agree with others, the only beagles I have known have been outrageous wanderers! One went through a phase of escaping quite regularly and if it weren't so frightening, would have been funny as! I know that thanks to the few I have encountered, I would not choose a beagle even though they were all adorable nutcases as puppies!

Why not try the animal shelters as suggested? Now would be a good time, the animals will be vet checked, up to date with their shots and desexed (unless they are too young I guess?). Better yet, the shelter can advise you what that particular dog is like with young kids, other animals etc which will take some of the guesswork out. Not all animals are true to their breed type!

Not only that, the shelter is as keen to find the perfect match for your family as you are and you will be able to spend time with the dog before you take him home, which I'm sure the kids would love.

The companionship of a dog is just the best thing ever and even better if you can rescue a puppy that someone bought with little or no thought, that needs someone to love him back.

As for the puppy that is interstate, it does seem an unnecessary gamble (not to mention an unnecessary journey for such a young animal) but if you are happy they are a bona fide breeder, then I know of another dog (not the red setter mentioned earlier) who was sent over and she's absolutely perfect. Papers and all!

Hope you find the perfect best puppy friend for your family :)

LC