Three week Update

Guest boesman

Guest boesman

Hi All

We have been in Adelaide for three weeks now. Absolutely loving it!! The first two weeks were an emotional rollercoaster. We worked hard everyday to get signed up with everything and everyone and looking at houses inbetween. We ended each day with going for a swim at the beach. We stayed in Moana. After the first two weeks my husband got a job, Halleluja, and now we live in our tent till the 14th of this month. Very hard as the campkitchen is about 300metres walk and we have nothing besides our clothes and cutlery and pot. The food is shockingly expensive, but we are getting used to it, but petrol is quite ok. People here are friendly and very helpful. Life is defo a bit slower than the UK and slower internet and expensive mobile contracts, but then again, we earn more currently. For all the tradies, here are definately enough work! Don't let negative people put you off! I am sure there are people struggling to find work, but it depends on what you are willing to do. Myhusband is doing labouring work at the moment and it pays good money. He will look for other work in his field soon and is getting contacts everywhere and from everyone.

Our kids are not in schools yet and won't be going for the next two weeks or so. They h ave made good friends here already and are loving the weather and swimming in the sea and pool. We are going back to Moana and although it is quite a drive out of the city we just absolutely love the area and the feel and it is worth the extra time it takes to drive anywhere. One thing, you can only drive 60km/hr on 80% of the roads and traffic lights are mostly four fase. So even if Adelaide is not big it takes AGES to get anywhere. It amazes me that people actually stick to the speed limits which is great! No jams like on the M25 (UK)!!

Ok, can't type anymore as I am in the library and only have one hour for now. any questions, shoot, and I 'll try answering as best as I could for someone who has only been here 3 weeks.

Hi

Lovely to read your update. Glad your husband has found work and you and kids finding your feet. It helps when they make friends doesnt it? We gave our boys an extended holiday when we arrived and it really was great to have days out at the beach and go exploring in the area with them.I think it gave them a sense of Australia so that when they started school they knew where they were both geograpically and mentally.

On speed limits -the reason everyone sticks to them is that there are Speed Cameras EVERYWHERE and if you speed they will catch you. The fines are not cheap either.....

Guest boesman

Hi sarah, would be great to catch up over a cup of coffee sometime since we are neighbours. Just let me know when will suit you. By the way, who do you use for internet? Cheers

Lindie

Hi sarah, would be great to catch up over a cup of coffee sometime since we are neighbours. Just let me know when will suit you. By the way, who do you use for internet? Cheers

Lindie

Hi Lindie

We use Telstra..

Would be great to meet up for a coffee and chat - do you work at all? We have our inlaws here for another week - so anytime after then would be great.

Speak soon

Sarahx

Hi All

We have been in Adelaide for three weeks now. Absolutely loving it!! The first two weeks were an emotional rollercoaster. We worked hard everyday to get signed up with everything and everyone and looking at houses inbetween. We ended each day with going for a swim at the beach. We stayed in Moana. After the first two weeks my husband got a job, Halleluja, and now we live in our tent till the 14th of this month. Very hard as the campkitchen is about 300metres walk and we have nothing besides our clothes and cutlery and pot. The food is shockingly expensive, but we are getting used to it, but petrol is quite ok. People here are friendly and very helpful. Life is defo a bit slower than the UK and slower internet and expensive mobile contracts, but then again, we earn more currently. For all the tradies, here are definately enough work! Don't let negative people put you off! I am sure there are people struggling to find work, but it depends on what you are willing to do. Myhusband is doing labouring work at the moment and it pays good money. He will look for other work in his field soon and is getting contacts everywhere and from everyone.

Our kids are not in schools yet and won't be going for the next two weeks or so. They h ave made good friends here already and are loving the weather and swimming in the sea and pool. We are going back to Moana and although it is quite a drive out of the city we just absolutely love the area and the feel and it is worth the extra time it takes to drive anywhere. One thing, you can only drive 60km/hr on 80% of the roads and traffic lights are mostly four fase. So even if Adelaide is not big it takes AGES to get anywhere. It amazes me that people actually stick to the speed limits which is great! No jams like on the M25 (UK)!!

Ok, can't type anymore as I am in the library and only have one hour for now. any questions, shoot, and I 'll try answering as best as I could for someone who has only been here 3 weeks.

Good to hear its all going well! coming over in a july but i can't find anything in my sector (flooring) work wise, how easy was it to get the labouring work? where was it advertised?

its murder getting people to share their secrets on here, when i land some flooring work over there, I'm really going to try my hardest to fix people up with work contacts before they come over, its worrying to think you got everything riding on this move and if you don't start grafting when you get there it could end up being disaster. surely people need floor layers? where are you?

sorry for having a rant but been searching these forums forever and its like getting blood out of a stone! looks like we are all going to be labouring when we get there, as long as we are earning a crust eh?, i will do almost anything. with the obvious exceptions haha

Dano

Hi Dano,

Most people use http://www.seek.com.au for job hunting, however, you may find when you get over here that your skills are transferable and you can get a different job. An example of this is my 42 year old brother who is married with 2 kids. He used to do house renovations then supermarket security in the UK, but found that he was suited to a "handy man" type job for a local council here in Adelaide - very good hours (extra day off every fortnight), good pay, flexibility and job satisfaction.

You'll also find that once you get here and start meeting people then you hear about stuff through word of mouth.

Also try checking the Adelaide City Council website for jobs...

Good luck!

Karen x

Hi Dano,

Most people use www.seek.com.au for job hunting, however, you may find when you get over here that your skills are transferable and you can get a different job. An example of this is my 42 year old brother who is married with 2 kids. He used to do house renovations then supermarket security in the UK, but found that he was suited to a "handy man" type job for a local council here in Adelaide - very good hours (extra day off every fortnight), good pay, flexibility and job satisfaction.

You'll also find that once you get here and start meeting people then you hear about stuff through word of mouth.

Also try checking the Adelaide City Council website for jobs...

Good luck!

Karen x

Hey the council work sounds alright to me, good security and prospects. i will look into that. thanks.

I been toying with the idea of doing something different but you know how it is, I know i can earn good money in my trade, and i have been used to working for myself for a few years now, it would be bit of a shock to the system having a fixed wage every week and doing everything to someone else's schedule.

who knows, i want to travel around australia before i settle somewhere but I'm bound to adelaide foe 2 years on a state sponsor. I'm sure i can stay busy until then.

Cant wait to get there, its so close i can almost taste it haha

been a long time coming!

cheers Karen