• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My 21 YEAR thread ...............

60 times
      I feel exactly the same as you - 20 years here for me.

South Plympton, Adelaide
      1114 times
      I don't, Adelaide always feels like coming home for me. It has been 20 years since I last lived in England and I thoroughly enjoy going for visits. My kids love being the prodigal grandchildren and laugh about this with their cousins when they go over. We all know that what we see when we go over is very much a holiday view, much as when I visited Cambodia, I left thinking how nice it would be to live in Siem Riep.... of course when you live somewhere the little niggles and problems of doing business etc arrive. I'm glad my children grew up here, they have had many more opportunities than we could have afforded in the UK and their outlook is much more global than perhaps it would have been. I am the kind of person though who could probably live anywhere. I think your feelings are quite common with long term migrants from many backgrounds, but you can never truly go back, because a piece of you always belongs somewhere else. The people you left have moved on with their lives and so have the countries you left behind. A lot of Italian and Greek migrants who have spent a long time here go back for some time regularly and feel they have a foot in each country, belonging to both.
      Diane and Barney Rubble like this.
      Sailed SS Australis out of Southampton 1977.Arrived October in Adelaide via Melbourne 1977.Liverpool/London 1987 - 1992
      Adelaide 1992 to eternity:)and one day you'll wake up and stop counting how long you've been here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12