Pommy pork pies

Guest artie

Thought all you Pork Pie lovers would like to know this. I have just been to my local butcher Superior Meats at Southgate Plaza shopping centre, morphett vale and they have started stocking 'POMMY PORK PIES' and they are fantastic, just like the ones I used to buy from melton mowbray. I understand they are stocking them at their Flagstaff shop also, I have tried many pork pies since coming to Adelaide but these are by far the best :notworthy:.

I will definitely be giving the UK Foods and Barossa Fine foods pies a big miss from now on.........THEY ARE LIKE CHALK AND CHEESE !!!

Yeah they have been doing them for a while at Southgate. Whenever I get to Adelaide for work I always stock up on their awesome gammon too and have a couple of pork pies for the journey home. The local feral dogs love the gammon, expecially when I smoke it :(

I'll never forget Lisa asking the butcher 'if they do this thing like pork or bacon, don't know what you call it here but we call it gammon, it's a bit like ham but much better' the bloke said (in a pom accent) 'yep we call it gammon too and you're standing right by it' ;). To be fair though, the aussies down here have never heard of gammon - they do enjoy eating mine though!

Guest SA Great

Is the spelling "Pommie Pork Pies"? If so it is one of my friends that has started the company. I am not a pork pie eater myself but I know several people that have tried them and reckon they are fantastic! Very authentic apparently!

I think they may be the UK Foods you are talking about as the guy in the shop said that they had only started trialling the Pommy Pork Pie ones this week as they were a better tasting homemade pie

Is the spelling "Pommie Pork Pies"? If so it is one of my friends that has started the company. I am not a pork pie eater myself but I know several people that have tried them and reckon they are fantastic! Very authentic apparently!

Definitely spelt 'Pommy Pork Pies'. You don't know what you are missing !!!

Just remembered the sign in the shop had a website address on it so just googled it, its http://www.pommyporkpies.com.au , it has the persons name who makes them, maybe check it out to see if its your friend

Yeah they have been doing them for a while at Southgate. Whenever I get to Adelaide for work I always stock up on their awesome gammon too and have a couple of pork pies for the journey home. The local feral dogs love the gammon, expecially when I smoke it :(

I'll never forget Lisa asking the butcher 'if they do this thing like pork or bacon, don't know what you call it here but we call it gammon, it's a bit like ham but much better' the bloke said (in a pom accent) 'yep we call it gammon too and you're standing right by it' ;). To be fair though, the aussies down here have never heard of gammon - they do enjoy eating mine though!

We buy the cooked ham leg joints like you have at Xmas and slice it in 1/4" slices and fry it in the frying pan, it tastes almost as good as gammon but about 1/2 the price

Guest SA Great

Sorry Artie you are right, it is Pommy not Pommie and yes it is my friend. She is an awesome cook so not surprised they are nice. I must bite the bullet and try one sometime!

• 3 months later...

It looks like I was beaten to the punch :)http://www.pommyporkpies.com.au/ I had a nice talk to Kim (lovely lady) at the stall.

They were at the Wayville Showgrounds Farmer's Market (on every Sunday when there's not a major event) - http://www.asfm.org.au/244.html - and I tried one of them this last weekend gone (June long weekend).

Beautiful, melt in the mouth. I had a good talk to the lady at the counter and they also do other pies (to order - just ask) and delicacies including F*ggots :) (which are apparently a Welsh / WestCountry delicacy)

for those not quite in the know :) (I like mine with peas, tomatao sauce, chips and gravy - and a good butty).

I was so happy that I bought a Pork Pie to take home and it was great; shared it with my Geordie neighbour, who is somewhat of a connoisseur :)

Everyone, we should get behind expats (esp. UK expats) who have opened businesses here, it takes a lot of guts and hard work to come here, even more to open a business. The more we support our own expat community - especially through sites like this - the stronger and better our wider Australian community also becomes. That is exactly what the Greeks and the Italians did when they came here, they backed each other and supported each other.

• 1 month later...