Another phone scam, apparently :)

Lazy Cow

Please pass this on - It has been confirmed by Telstra & Australian Police

[TABLE=class: x_MsoNormalTable, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%]Hi Everyone

Please read below and pass on to your family & friends.

Got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an Telstra Service technician who was conducting a test on our Telephone lines.

He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9),zero ( 0), hash (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local gaols/prisons.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. PLEASE pass this on to your friends.

If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this on.

Stephen Cooper

Detective Senior Constable 29748

Victoria Police State Crime Squads

Level 12,

412 St. Kilda Road , Melbourne

(03) 9865 2663 or 0414644499

Stephen.cooper@police.vic.gov.au

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We were given this info a couple of weeks ago but I only just thought pass it on to you guys (I was deleting past emails lol).

This is how I received the email. If you think it's untrue, don't worry just ignore it :)

LC

Guest Maria Day
Yes it is a hoax. I tend to check these things on various websites as I get a lot of rubbish like that....and I am never sure - this is a good website to check those sort of things you are not sure of http://www.hoax-slayer.com/nine-zero-hash-hoax.html ...although it does say that certain businesses with a particular PABX may be vulnerable.

Argggh! and i posted it in my FB for my pomme friends, better take it off then lols!

Lol!

Good advice from Kris and Leigh, thank you. :notworthy:

As for you, Maria Day, don't feel too embarrassed - this came from the high school where I work lol so the AP bought it too!

It did seem a rather simple procedure to get access to your whole phone line but I thought I'd post it just in case.

I think I might send our AP that hoax link, Kris.

Have a chiller day hahaha :cool: LC

Guest Rachael Reeve

We get alot in the UK, most of the time its about your computer. They say they work for windows and you must go on line because there is something wrong with your computer. Its so they can get your on to your on line banking details. Dont you just love them! NOT!

We get alot in the UK, most of the time its about your computer. They say they work for windows and you must go on line because there is something wrong with your computer. Its so they can get your on to your on line banking details. Dont you just love them! NOT!

Yeah but we do get used to them don't we. Most of them I don't even look at these days they just go straight into my junk mail. And with practically everyone I know connected to a computer we tend to share the news like has been done with this thread so it is a good warning too.