Adelaide Fringe Opening Night

Guest WhatNow?

Guest WhatNow?

Well on the first official night of the Fringe ‘Adelayed’ certainly lived up to its name with an unaccountable delay of almost an hour before the opening parade got under way. Once it did however, the spectacle was worth waiting for, though the 30+ heat made it a close run thing for some of the thousands of people that made the effort to come into the city from all over the state. A few families with young children suffered some unnecessary distress, not only from standing around for too long in the heat but from the idiots who decided that they would just walk in at the last minute and stand in front of them, blocking their view. It never ceases to amaze me how selfish people can be.

The antics of the mindless few, however, were forgotten when the parade finally got under way with music, dance, acrobatics, light shows, fireworks and the general good will that is the trademark of this street festival on a massive scale. All those who mock Adelaide as being a place where nothing ever happens must be sitting at home being grumpy in front of their televisions waiting for the entertainment to come to them because, even before this Fringe has officially started, I have been out at a show (or two) every night this week. Next week we host the Clipsall Saloon Car race and then there is always the World Music Festival, Womadelaide. Do these complainers never actually venture into the city? Many of these major events (like the Australia Day concert and fireworks) are free. Of course if you choose to live out at Britain-on-Sea then it could be a long drive, but that’s why I choose to live nearer to the city.

The slightly higher property values of the metropolitan suburbs go hand in hand with lower travel times to places that matter (unless all you are interested in is a beach), better public transport, better choice of retail outlets and a general feeling of connectedness to what is going on. I cannot imagine burying myself so far out that I couldn’t get into the city within half an hour max, and I can still get to a choice of beautiful deserted beaches in 30 minutes and into the Adelaide Hills in 15. But then that's my mindset and it doesn't suit everyone.

As Home2Home has been saying for years, bear in mind when choosing where to live that the city is where everything of importance happens. That is the nature of a state that is so large and has such a low population. Economies of scale determine that major events are concentrated in the city. Bury yourself too far out and you will miss out. Make the effort and you will be rewarded with a rich variety of entertainment (for all the family) that won’t break the bank.

Anyone else at the parade last night - what events are you going to see at the Fringe?

I was listing to the radio yesterday and the topic of the opening of the fringe came up and they just said it was a joke and they had some strange floats, last year a truck with a load of old women with a sign saying Dyke's with super that was it they found that one hard to understand. I must say I have been to the fringe many times and most shows are not my cup of tea I can pick a handful out of whats on, I think you have to be a real arty farty type to appreciate a lot of it for the common people it just goes over there heads. It also all adds up price wise if you have a couple of kids. This is my take on it and I am not an arty farty type so if you like that sort of thing fill your boots. And the OP you seem to be having a dig at some people as you have went way off topic you started out about the fringe then started to ramble about whats on and where you chose to live and its your own fault and a wee plug for yourself as well.

Guest WhatNow?

I was under the impression that this was a forum where everyone's opinions were welcome, so am merely expressing mine - and I and others have tried many times to ensure that there is a fair representation of those for the benefit of people who want to know what Adelaide is like. As I said it's not everyone's cup of tea and it may be that there are a few 'arty-farty types' (and some pretty normal folk) who might actually be interested. I wouldn't go and rub shoulders with the petrol heads next weekend but I wouldn't look down my nose at those who do enjoy the Clipsall or be sarcastic about the event just because it's not my idea of a good time.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I was under the impression that this was a forum where everyone's opinions were welcome, so am merely expressing mine .

Fine, but if your opinion includes wanting to have a dig at those that live further out of the city, then surely others should be allowed the same expression.

Squareman simply said it as he saw it - in my opinion...

If you like living in the city then good on for you but it's horses for courses and it is not my cup of tea. If I want to come in to do and see something I can and will but I like being down south by the sea. I won't knock you for your choice so don't knock us Southerners for ours.

And the transport down here is fantastic. I can always get a ticket always get a seat and it has aircon. It's called a car ;)

Now of to the beach to cool down a bit :)

The forum is open to everyones opinions but when you put down a heading of Adelaide Fringe Opening Night

thats what you expect the post to be about not slaging people off for not living in the outskirts of the city

I was under the impression that this was a forum where everyone's opinions were welcome, so am merely expressing mine - and I and others have tried many times to ensure that there is a fair representation of those for the benefit of people who want to know what Adelaide is like. As I said it's not everyone's cup of tea and it may be that there are a few 'arty-farty types' (and some pretty normal folk) who might actually be interested. I wouldn't go and rub shoulders with the petrol heads next weekend but I wouldn't look down my nose at those who do enjoy the Clipsall or be sarcastic about the event just because it's not my idea of a good time.

Fine, but if your opinion includes wanting to have a dig at those that live further out of the city, then surely others should be allowed the same expression.

Squareman simply said it as he saw it - in my opinion...

so then, "'arty-farty types' (and some pretty normal folk)" .... does that mean that if you prefer the 'art' scene to sport you're not 'normal'?

We wandered into the Garden of Unearthly Delights one evening a couple of years ago. After watching a few amateurs trying to perform, dodging lots of drunken people and paying over the odds for a very ordinary 'meal', we wandered back out again, wondering what all the fuss was about.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, it's there for you!

Jim

I was really interested to read this post and contribute my thoughts on the shows I've seen so far as part of this year's Fringe, but sad to see how several responses turn so sour, so quickly. My use of this site is pretty inconsistent and seems to follow a pattern - not log in for months, then when I do, log in regularly, then be very disheartened when I read what seems to be a common theme:

- Someone posts a question, opinion or has a bit of a rant/vent about something they're frustrated with

- A few well-meaning people try to respond to that question with concern, a listening ear or maybe some suggestions to try to address the OP

- The thread is taken over with sarcasm and far too much of 'my opinion is better than yours'

Is the majority really incapable of respecting other viewpoints/lifestyles/opinions?

To me, this kind of attitude is really starting to spoil this forum - such a shame when there are so many people on here genuinely trying to expand their social networks and share advice/ideas.

Well, I for one would like to get the thread back on track - went to see Mark Butler last night: he was brilliant and well worth it if you can catch one of his shows while he's here. As we were a little early, we also got invited into see Bob Slayer - totally different type of comic but still a good laugh - as one of the audience commented (it's very much an audience join in type show!) he is just like the drunken uncle that turns up at a barbecue, in the very nicest way!

Took a stroll around the Garden afterwards, and find it hard to believe the comments above about it! Great atmosphere, everyone happy and friendly, absolutely no-one fighting or causing trouble, mix of ages, families, singles, couples, groups, and above all, fantastically clean - not a scrap of rubbish on the floor at all and considering the number of people there, that was quite amazing. Made me proud to be South Aussie, especially overhearing comments from interstate visitors at the event. Festival next, Womadelaide, and the Clipsal so whatever your tastes, hopefully our beautiful city in festival season can meet them!

Oh, and off to see Best of British tomorrow night to see the absolutely brilliant fantastic Georgie Carroll - not that I'm biased at all but she is hilarious, and lovely with it!

Soo and Diane - thanks for your comments. I haven't been able to get to the City yet and was sorry to miss the opening events. Sounds like a great evening's entertainment (especially if, like me, you are from the Southern Suburbs and are 'Arty Farty':wink:) Do let us know what Georgie Carroll is like and have an enjoyable time. Not sure who all these comedians are - I need to broaden my horizons. Tim Vine is a good friend of mine though so I'm not averse to some whacky humour!

Guest Squareman

I went to see the Three Stuffed Mums on Friday night. Very funny show. As we say all say at Squareman's award-winning fish and chip shop in Unley, laughter is the best medicine!

Who was starring in Three Stuffed Mums?

Show's I've seen so far and some brief thoughts:

Jen Brister - funny UK comedienne - good show but not as hilarious as last yea

Judith Lucy - was definitely amusing but not amazing - I was disappointed

Magical Year of W*nking - oh dear. I still don't know what to think about this show. I could put a positive spin on it by saying it was a brave and confronting excellent piece of performance, but I could also say it was a one hour monologue about a man's diagnosis with HIV, completley in rhyming verse. It went over my head somewhat.

Sam Simmons - brilliant! If you like his quirky humour on Triple J, don't miss the live show!

This week has a few more in store for me - Status Update, Hannah Gadsby and somehow I got roped into Puppetry of the Penis... I'll post an update! Oh, and Womadelaide of course at the weekend - I can't wait!

Guest Barney Rubble

thanks soo_the_panda & Diane, was getting a bit concerned to.

We are going to see Tom Gleeson (i think) and 2012 theatre sports, anyone else going to these or seen these acts yet ?

Must admit I haven't been to the Fringe since we moved back, I'm kind of in the middle as I like some 'arty-farty' stuff but some of it I can't stand.

Twenty years ago I saw a 'total unknown' at the Fringe - Lily Savage aka Paul O Grady - he was brill and obviously now really famous back in Blighty - so you might just see a star of the future if you go along.

Guest WhatNow?

Have been too busy at Fringe events to log in much since the original post, but it’s interesting to note the usual degeneration into personal abuse…sad really and such a pity that whenever anyone tries to raise the tone a bit there is always someone on hand to lower it again, for whatever reason.

For the benefit of those who are interested in the subject of the original post, these are my recommendations for the best comedy shows so far:

If you’ve ever ended a dysfunctional long term relationship then you will appreciate Felicity Ward’s hilarious account of her experiences. She is a very funny woman (in the nicest possible way) and her show in The Garden of Unearthly Delights is well worth a visit – guys be warned DON’T sit at the front or volunteer to read the part of ‘Dennis’!

Local comedian Mickey D is back from a year in the UK and is fitter and leaner and if possible even funnier than in his Rhino Room days. He takes the audience on a romp through what it’s like to be an ex-lad-about-town-now-trying-to-be-a-responsible-first-time-dad and compares life in the UK Midlands with that in Adelaide. He is such good value for money, again in the Garden of Unearthly Delights at 10pm most nights.

Tom Gleeson is his usual thoughtful and witty self and though not as rollicking a laugh as Mickey D is just as funny.

Mark Butler is an ex-pat Yorkshireman and maths teacher turned stand-up comedian who is back at the Fringe again with a new show about how to spot the signs of someone lying. Anyone who watched the Lie to Me series on TV will recognise where his material comes from. Again, not a show to become a ‘Volunteer from the audience’ in!

A completely different type of comedy (as mentioned by Diane) was on offer with Bob Slayer (The Happy Drunk). Bob is an amiable rambling individual who will pick mercilessly on his audience to provide material for his act, but does it with such a good nature that they can’t help but forgive him. His observations on performing in Coober Pedy and Roxby Downs along with a goat had the audience in tears.

And let’s not forget the ‘Best of British’ shows where four (or more) UK comedians are on stage most nights at the Bull and Bear in King William Street. They use this as ‘shameless plugs’ for their own Fringe shows and, if the ones on stage last night are anything to go by – including our own ex-pat Georgie Carroll – I’ll be booking a few more tickets next week.

I hope this helps to get the original intention of the thread back on course, but before I go I think I need to set the record straight. Yes, I plug Home2Home as many other long term contributors to this forum plug the services they provide to and who genuinely use this forum to help others, whether that is through advertising houses to let, services such as plumbing or carpentry and items for sale. Yes we do run a business but no-one has to buy our services if they don’t wish to. We have always provided tons of free and impartial advice over the years via this forum and our website, whether people choose to become clients or not.

For the record I am not in either of the ‘Love’ or ‘Hate’ Adelaide camps but if someone asks a genuine question I try to give a balanced answer, either on the forum or off it. I also think Adelaide has a lot going for it in terms of culture and I’m sorry if that offends those who aren’t interested in such things. The Fringe is internationally recognised as one of the major festivals for music and comedy as well as the more ‘arty-farty’ stuff, sad that some feel the need to run it down.

As to the subject of where people choose to live, as I said, it is your choice and as long as it is an informed choice you will be happy. Our job at Home2Home is to make sure that people are informed. My reference to ‘Britain-on-sea’ seems to have been taken as a slight on those living in the ’South’. The point I was trying (and obviously failing) to make is that although migrants may be seduced to move a fair way out of the city by lower property prices and the proximity to beaches, there are also downsides to this which may not be immediately obvious, and this goes for anywhere more than a reasonable car journey from the city, whether this is Aldinga, Gawler, Victor Harbor or Port Lincoln. I would have thought this was obvious but have found over the years that it may not be. Many migrants are focussed on the lure of the 4 bedroom house on the beach which, realistically, is unaffordable by most of those coming over under the present circumstances. Better to find that out before you get here.

So, serious stuff over…I hope you enjoy whatever Fringe or Clipsall events you go to see over the next few weeks and that the traffic chaos caused by the city road closures doesn’t make you too late for work! (One of the downsides of living or working near the city).

Well now I’ve put my head above the parapet I fully expect that ‘tall poppy syndrome’ will infect this post again so I hope others will continue to post about what Adelaide has to offer for the benefit of those trying to decide whether to come here or not, and that those wanting to know what is going on will persist through the other posts to get to the helpful ones.

I have to be honest, i love the fringe, the city is bustling and vibrant at the moment, even if your not seeing a show, but just enjoying a meal on Rundle street, it's hard not to get caught up in the flow.

This year I'm off to see, Puppetry of the Penis, Stephen K Amos and Akmal.... Bit worried about Akmal, saw him on TV the other day and played the religious stuff quite a lot, but we can't always go and see the same acts year in year out, otherwise I'd just be seeing Jeff Green...

After seeing Best of British, I'm definitely going to try and see the full shows of Jen Brister (Mansions at 7pm most evenings); Dan Willis (The Funny Side of Computers) on at 7:30 at the Bull and Bear; Stand Up Scotland on at the Austral Hotel 7:15; and Markus Birdman (Love Hate Life Death) on at The Tuxedo Cat 7:15pm

If you just want a taster to see which you might enjoy, go to the Best of British at the Bull and Bear at 8:45 most nights http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/fringetix/best-of-british/a6e5ca46-c591-47fa-80c8-aca4f66a56cb, or Adelaide Comedy's Next Generation at the Rhino Rooms http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/fringetix/adelaide-comedys-next-generation/6c7620f7-02b6-4e1e-8c2b-2d7a45570990

Thanks for the last few posts! Yes Diane - Jen Brister is great - last year's show was funnier in my opinion, but definitely still worth going to - and it's good value too. I hope you enjoy her show.

I saw two duds last night - well - not real duds - just amusing shows that weren't perhaps my ideal picks, but to me that's the joy of the fringe - I don't mind paying $10 to see a show that could end up fabulous or so awful that it's something to laugh about over a drink in the garden afterwards. I saw Status Update at one of the theatres in the Uni SA complex on North Tce - a piece about 21st century life and how we live through facebook - rather than being in the moment, we're wondering what status update or photo to post about the moment... it was a great concept and was pretty interesting, but the actual piece failed to come together as well as it could have in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend anyone rush there, but for anyone really interested in the impact of social media from a cultural/anthropological point of view, it's worth the $10.

I also checked out the Mutant Barnyard Freakshow in the Garden - very curious! We were disappointed as this was more of a small 'museum' rather than an actual show - we didn't read the info properly. But for a mere $6, I reckon young kids/young teen boys/anyone who likes the weird and wonderful would enjoy it - lots of taxidermied two headed ducks etc!

Still, even with two not great shows, I still loved the atmosphere on Rundle Street over dinner (agree with you Aussie Rob) - I'm more in the 'love Adelaide' camp than hate it, but do find the city too quiet for me most of the year - I love that during Fringe it really comes to life. Having a wine on the quirky double decker bus bar in the Garden of Unearthly delights then wandering around under the fairy lights soaking up the atmosphere and lauhging at the people screaming on the Haunted House was great. Agree that whilst there's lots of 'arty farty' stuff on offer, there's also so much live music, comedy and kids stuff - surely seeing a comedian isn't arty farty?!

Tonight I'm off to Hannah Gadsby at the Rhino Room who always makes me laugh, then a night off tomorrow and onto Puppetry of the Penis on Friday. Will definitely check out the Best of British show.

Guest Squareman

Glad that you have admitted to deliberately plugging your business. But as the first one to point this out, I actually wasn't annoyed about it at all. In fact, I made a joke out of it, which was edited by Diane. That's just me, 'setting the record straight' from my side too.

Back to the Fringe, I would be interested to know if anyone has seen any good comedians who don't follow the 'american format', which focuses on poking fun at oneself and coming up with dry one-liners or double entrendres. I've gone off going to see standup comedians because there seems to be so few real ones around. , . I prefer comedians like Billy Connolly who are natural storytellers and who don't chase punchlines. Fussy I know...........