Like Tree5Likes
    • 5 Post By Damien

Thread: 2 year update

Kangaroo Island
      418 times

2 year update

Can't believe it's been two years (well, tomorrow). I'm gonna be quick, don't want to bore you all too much....

5 houses and 2 jobs in the 2 years we've been here. Made some great mates. You know who you are;) Tyke made settling in amazing, I'll never forget some complete stranger taking me out on his beautiful boat as soon as I arrived, we never did get that big snapper though. Made a good mate for life in Ben (Weez), working with him made me stay in Oz, I reckon we'd have gone home in the first year if I hadn't been lucky enough to work with a top bloke with the same attitude as me - we'd work bloody hard but them some days I'd say 'the salmon are in', he'd say he fancied a ride so off we'd go, me fishing and Ben shaving his legs ready for a bike race. By ride I mean on a mountain bike!

Then, 9 months in, I got offered the job of a lifetime, one of less than 40 Fisheries Officers in the whole state. But it meant we had to move to Mount Gambier. I've loved it here, the office is a boat on the Southern Ocean, 4wd or quad bike in Canunda NP. I can also honestly say that I've finally made some great Aussie mates, something a lot don't do when in that circle of Expat mates in Adelaide (I was guilty of this!). We have an amazing house on 1.5 acres, 3 mins from the ocean and I now own a proper fishing boat, ocean kayak and a Nissan Patrol - never thought I'd have any of this. Getting towed around by BIG KGW in the kayak is awesome! We've even managed to find a dog and 3 cats - don't think we can go back to the UK just yet.

Lisa has struggled as all her mates were in Adelaide and the weather here isn't as warm, it's still a bloody site better than the UK though. She's just started work at a crayfish factory so hopefully she'll settle, if not I can always get a transfer. I bought her a surfboard, which she loves, she just misses snorkelling at Noarlunga, it's a bit cooler down here. The kids are in an area school, it's about 500m away and has 200 kids from 5 to 18. It's really friendly and they absolutely love it.

Anyway, I said I'd be quick. I reckon I'm definitely one of the really lucky ones, having a stable job I'd happily do for nothing. It's not all easy though, gotta work on making Lisa happy but we'll get there.

4457 times
      Onya Mate.........................
      Ya forgot to mention the pleasure of me blocking your bog up!!!