Surfing accident.............................

Guest guest7008

Guest guest7008

Hi all....

We arrived in Sunny and Beautiful Adelaide 4 weeks ago and have been on a rollercoaster of a journey so far......4 weeks have flown by and we have done all the usual stuff.....bought a car....done all the paperwork side of everything...got a house...husband has a job...and kids gone surfing.... that is where my story begins....

We lived by the sea in the UK and my eldest daughter (16) has surfed and is sea aware....so we are not first timers and novices at surfing....but things happen in the huge space that is the sea....my daughter had a accident on Sunday with her surf board....she was hit full force in the face with the board, she emerged from the sea with most of her teeth missing and her mouth and jaw were unrecognisable...after the initial shock we managed to get her home (we are staying 2 mins from the beach) and drove her to the local hospital....where they were unable to help her as no emergency dentist etc on call....so we were sent home with painkillers, an ice pack attached to her face and were told to ring a dentist in the morning...

Being newly arrived we did not have a clue how the dentist situation worked over in Adelaide but thanks to some super knowledgeable friends we were pointed in the direction of The School Dentist Service...we rang first thing this morning and were seen this afternoon...we were there for 2 hours...the service we received was excellent, A1, 5Stars they were so helpful, caring and really want to help restore my daughters mouth and her smile. Being the School Dental Service, we do not have to pay for any emergency treatment as she is under 18, and when they start reconstructing her teeth the amount will be minimal...so PLEASE if you need your children's teeth looking at, whether routine or emergency...find your local school dentist service...all kids under 18 are entitled to this care...all pre-schoolers get it FREE and teens get a teen voucher as well....we did not know about this service and would have gone to a normal dentist and would have had to pay $'s to get her smiling again...just goggle Adelaide School Dentist Service and links there will take you to your nearest clinic.

My daughter will have months of treatment ahead of her, 5 lost teeth, 2 pushed back into sockets, jaw injury and severe bruising to mouth, lips and jaw.....a rough and stressful start to Our Journey Down under....My daughter has been surfing for a long time, has been bought up by a beach...but this ACCIDENT happened...so please watch your children when they out and about in the sea...and remember the school dentist service if, like us, you are new to all this ...all info is so greatly appreciated along the way...on this hard but also delightful, wonderful journey of ours.

The Rimmers

How traumatic for you and your daughter. Hope she gets everything fixed up and feels better soon. My son lost his two front teeth in an accident at 18 months old so I understand a little of the process you are going through and will face in the future. Thanks for highlighting the service offered by the Adelaide School dental service.

Sarah

Guest devon67

wow your daughter sounds like a real star, i ve had tons of surfing accidents, especially with the board hitting me so i can be empathise with her

what is the surf like in south oz? any good easy breaks near the main sub urban areas?

Guest wayney34

I hope your daughter gets better soon but thanks for highlighting the dental service. I have to admit I was worried about the school service as the ones in the uk are terrible its more like going to the butchers. Can I just ask out of interest where abouts was the dentist you went to its just that we are proberbly coming over august and I'd like to have as much info as possible. thanks

Guest guest7008

Hi - just for INFO - the School Dental Service we used was at The Noarlunga Centre - Alexander Kelly Drive - just down the same road as the Hospital and by the big shopping centre. excellent, very helpful and highly recommend them. Helen

Sorry to hear about your Daughter and her accident, My son who has now left school a few years ago did attend the school dentist just to let people know that it can take a while to get an appointment with them for just basic stuff they do not do braces etc that has to be done private it is a good service but can take a while to get in the system.

Guest ladyarkles

ooh, OUCH!

I hope she is not too sore from this, poor kid.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the info on the dentists, as well. Very useful!

~ Rachel