Lucky SA I guess ;)

snifter

Yes, smaller businesses will be forced to close early on these days or charge a premium on their services, so restaurants etc will have a bigger than normal price hike and it will depend whether the public is willing to absorb these costs. I guess within the retail industry, as long as people want to work late on Christmas Eve/ NYE then it's not a problem, it becomes a problem when those who wish to be at home with family/ friends are forced to work.I actually liked that the shops closed at 6 on Christmas eve and a sigh of relief was heard as people no longer felt the need or were able to rush around giving a breathing space before Christmas day. For nurses, police, firies etc in the 24 hour service industries, it will be good as someone has to work....but I'm sure what is given with one hand will be taken away with another, like when Christmas falls on a Saturday and Sunday and there is always a bunfight to get public holiday pay for those who work it and the rest of people have their public holiday ( with pay/ benefits) on the Monday.

Guest bigal

We already have 10 public holidays,[new years day,australia day,adelaide cup day,good friday,easter monday,anzac day,Queens birthday,labour day,christmas day and proclamation day]. Some people are fortunate to have jobs that pay them on these days off,a lot of people can't get a job, and find their only option is to be self employed or maybe working as a contractor,which is the same as having a job but with no benefits.Having to take days off with no pay is a dampener on any already struggling family especially around the festive season.

What about the thousands of casuals, the part timers I wonder do they get paid?

No wonder people are laid off sometimes it's just to damned hard.

I think Hotels, pubs and restaurants will be mainly affected. For New years Eve in particular many pubs and hotels hold parties, if they have to pay a premium to the staff, they may decide it's just not worth it, I've stayed in Adelaide city over easter and you have to pay a 15% premium for having a meal or drink on public holidays. This could just force some places to shut. One of my friends manages a bottle shop, and he believes they will simply drop the casual rate from $25 to award rate to cover the premium. Only the staff will lose out.

It begs the question which unions were fighting for this, because I believe casual service staff (shop and hotels) will just be worse off as a whole.

Guest teamV

12 public holidays does seem a lot but as for charging extra on them ,they have 52 weeks to add on a small amount on to cover these days and have no need to just lump it all together in one day,

Kev.

No issue with workers getting a better deal, but with the retail sector already struggling and with more either going to the wall or looking decidedly dodgy each week, the timing's questionable. With the number of stores going into administration recently - Angus and Robertson, Borders, Colorado, Ed Harry (some stores saved because of a management buy-out but still in a precarious state), Sleep City, Fletcher Jones etc - and plenty more on the way (Woolworths stating it will close 100 Dick Smith stores, and Specialty Fashion saying it will close 120 Millers, Katies and La Senza stores) I'd have thought it sensible not to burden businesses more at the moment.

Jim