container or not

Guest reevendeb

Guest reevendeb

has anyone out there hired a shipping container, my wife and i are pondering on wether or not to splash out nearly £3,500 on such a luxury, as we have either already sold some of our furniture when we recently moved house.

we are torn between selling our existing belongings and starting a fresh once in adelaide,

or shelling out on a container and taking what we have with us.

decisions decisions:wacko:.

Why not have a part container (groupage) can take littel longer to get there but cheaper that a whole container. Also, from reading on the site, some items of furniture are expensive over there. We are taking the lot - lock, stock and barrel - we figure that it is worth the £3,000 as it would cost us about three times as much to replace everything.

Down to individual preference though I guess. Good luck with the move.

Kev & Mall

Guest suejohndan

Hi,

We are in the same position as you can't decide if we should take things.

I think we have came to the decision that there is an Ikea in Adelaide so it might be cheaper if we buy new or second hand things when we arrive. We are hoping to rent somewhere fully furnished even though they are hard to come by.

Good Luck with your decision. We are just down the road from you in Hartlepool.

stop right there with part renting a container....if you part rent and the other party's stuff has to be checked or cleaned this could be very costly to both partys also i would be pissed off if my stuff was being held back due to someone elses stuff im getting my own container for £3100 but im bring my whole house plus a huge snap-on tool box.....one thing you must take into consideration if you take any garden stuff it must be very clean

but if you dont have much stuff then i would go shopping at ikeas when you arrive

hope this is any help

alex

Hi, yes we we're not sure on what to do, a few of the people I've spoken to who live in Oz have said to us leave all our furniture and replace over there as most of the goods are cheaper, we had just bought a 42inch LCD samsung, which we're selling here as been told not to bring it due to different wattage. We have had quotes on just some of the bits we want to bring, not much, so will be a shared container, we will be in a fully furnished place for 3 months anyway, so in no rush, the furniture we have is not that expensive anyway and can easily be replaced.

Guest reevendeb

hiya suejohndan, reevendeb here in sunny shields thanks for your reply.

congrats on your visa being issued hope the wait was,nt too long for you.

we have just sent off our medicals and are currently waiting for the return of our police checks.

we were wondering how long you waited for your visa from your medicals being ok,d.

Hi Duncan-clan, we're here in sunny Basildon!!!!! So we CAN take our tele, just have to get plug changed, I think we're hoping to leave around April time, hopefully, the house will sell very soon. Where area are you going to in Adelaide?

im taking my tele with me and its only 1yr (38" sanyo) old they say the hertz (tele signal) is differant but if its a new tele it should be fine if you do sell it for silly money here and then have to buy a new one only to find out to find out it would of worked man i would be so pissed well april seems to be good for you as well! i leave the cold shores of crappy england april 16th 10pm with singapore airways for a lovely 23hr flight...not sure where i will be staying in adelaide it will be north part parafield, salisbury mawson lakes area will rent for a bit then will buy. have you been adelaide before? if not you will love it thats why im going back and to see my penpal again

alex

Some TVs work, some don't but its all easily resolved by buying a digibox from KMart for approx $40/50 and then you get a few extra channels thrown in-a bit like a freeview box. I'm not technical but have been told it is do with the frequencies they transmit on we had a brilliant picture but no sound on our UK TV but now works fine (the fact it was too small means its a second TV but still all good). Don't sell unless you have to!!!!

Guest nicolette

Hi there, we received our visas in December and it took just over three weeks after sending our medicals to receiving the email to say our visas had been granted so hopefully not long to wait! Good luck! Nicolette

Guest nicolette

Hi there, just received a reply from you but the message i sent this morning was meant for someone in Yorkshire so i am a little confused! Did i send you a message? Nicolette

Guest nicolette

Yes ive head the beaches are lovely. Me and my husband spent three weeks last September travelling aroud Oz but never got chance to go to Adelaide but since then we have had some friends move out there and they love it so we are taking the kids this time and ariving in Melbourne and gonna hire a car and drive up the Great Ocean Rd which should be good. Cant wait to see it for myself, then hopefully make some decisions whilst we are there on where to live etc and check out the work situation! And not to mention the vineyards!

Guest taylor family

Hi if I was you I would bring everything you have and more and just before you leave stock up with larger size foot wear ie flip flops shoes and trainers + send a lot of bedding the price here is a lot higher than uk hope that helps.

Hi,we rented afull container from Whites,about £3500,most of our stuff is for the kids to make them feel at home.We got a good book from our agents that said if you take your own stuff then settling in is a little easier and helps with home sickness.We arrive in Adelaide April 23rd.Prices at Ikea in Adelaide do seem a little cheaper though,so we can replace our crappy furniture as we go along.Hope all goes well.See you on the other side.

Rob,Faye,Erin,Ben

Guest dempseys

hi there!!

we have decided to take everything (and i mean everything!!) it's a personal choice but we thought that it might make us settle a bit easier as having familiar things around us will make it feel more like "home", like i said its a personal thing some people might look at like "new country new start". whatever makes you happy go for it i say.:jiggy: