Aussie accents anyone ?

Guest JACK JONES

Guest JACK JONES

I was just wondering if any of you have picked up an Aussie accent, and how long did it take to get one ?I ask this because I was talking to my neighbour the other day ( she is about 87 years old ) who moved here 40 odd years ago , but still has an English accent. Yet a friend of mine who has only been here for 10 years, has a full blown Aussie accent. Thanks.

Guest The Dimmocks

I think if you come over when you are a child, say younger than 15/16 you probably more likely to pick up the accent than an older person.

I think it depends how strong your accent is to begin with and what sort. If you have a strong regional accent then all that happens is that in time the vowel sounds err more towards South Aus and although you think your accent is the same, if you listened to a recording of you 20 years previously when you first arrived your accent would sound much stronger than it does now. If you came as a child then you will definitely pick up the local accent. South Aus metro accent is closer to standard british accent than any other state....there is a difference. As you head further East the vowels become flatter with pool, school being pronounced pewel, skewel etc.

Guest neeks

i havent got a accent but my kids are picking it up fast,i have started saying "how ya going ",and "for real".and few other bits they say but i think its more cos you hear it and just do the same,i would love to get rid of my british accent lol

Guest smurph

my sentencies tend to go up at the end sometimes when i am talking, which is mad...lol, i met a women from newcastle (now you cant get a better accent than that) but she was so frustrated with people not under standing her she said she really worked on changing her accent and has achieved it very well, talking to her you would not know she was a pom, she came out here in her 30's and know in her 50's.

I think a lot of it is dialect rather than accent with grown ups. I still think my Yorkshire accent hasn't changed much at all but I hardly ever use the Yorkshire dialect anymore because it isn't even 'proper' English and nobody would understand me. Friends back in England would say I sound different but it's because I don't use a lot the same words and sentences as they do anymore.

When I hear someone from Yorkshire speak now I can't believe people ever understood me at all when I first arrived here

Guest The Dimmocks

I found that when I went back to the UK, I dont really use the black country words anymore, and thought everyone sounded really common LOL, I soon fell back into it though.

Guest Damien

I have trouble talking to fishermen all the time. Everyone has trouble understanding me down here, I get asked if I'm a kiwi, Irish, Scottish or from Tasmania, nobody ever picks it right that I'm an Essex boy! I did get asked if I was a Kiwi when I worked in Oxford too. Even using the radio at work can be a nightmare, with the police security people never understanding what I say. Our youngest is 6 and she's a proper aussie girl though, but the SA accent is about as English as you'll get here.

Guest moonraker1959

Well I emigrated with family to SA when I was 9yrs old,and I'm now 51 and I sound like a dinky di aussie!My kids on the other hand(all aussie born)emigrated back to the UK,aged 9 and 11,and they sound very english!My Mum who is 80 was in her late 30's when we moved to Australia and she has no aussie accent at all!!! People here(UK)don't believe me when I tell them I'm actually english!lol

We've been here almost five years and the kids have definitely got quite strong accents, my mother in law said she struggles to understand them sometimes! Richie and I still have very pronounced Brummie accents I'm afraid, although I have noticed that I have a tendancy to call people dahl and tell the kids I love them heaps!

Gonna take a while for me to lose my BBC English (very Surrey) accent but, after 6 months, I find myself 'going up' at the end of sentences!

Hi

Which part of Surrey are you from?, I'm originally from Reigate; but live in Horley now.

R & H

Hi

Which part of Surrey are you from?, I'm originally from Reigate; but live in Horley now.

R & H

Epsom Downs!

The 'posh' accent is because my parents sent me to 'elocution' classes back in the early 60s as I had a bad stutter.

Guest Larissa

It definitely depends! Also find myself going up at the end of sentences and have to often correct myself when saying words with "A" in them (father, darling etc). As soon as I realise the slight Aussie tone I suddenly become very British as a sort of redemption, haha.

"G'day" popped out the other day too, very odd.

Great accent though!

Guest Rochesdownunder

My Daughter has developed a turn on/ turn off Ozzie Accent. It is hilarious. She's 8. My twins 6 Haven't lost a bit of there Irish accent. Adults i think never lose it It may change a little but will never lose it My Dad was in America for 36 years and has a twang now and all the saying but you still know he is Irish