More mileage for your money?

Hi there,

I would welcome comments on this...how to save money on fuel costs.

I fill up my car at the local Woolworth servo in Noarlunga. The difference in price between the Regular Unleaded (91 octane unleaded petrol) and the Vortex 95 (95 octane premium unleaded petrol) is about 15 cents.

I was told by a mechanic to use the higher octane even though it costs 15 cents more...roughly 10%

For the past few months I have been paying the extra cost per litre and seeing what the difference is with the milage.

I have a log book and can work out how far I was travelling on the cheaper 91 octane compared to the 95 octane.

I used to get 400km per tank (Kia Carnival 3.6l) with the 91 octane fuel.

With the 95 octane I get 500km per tank!

I have tried not to alter the way I drive..have worked it out over longer and shorter trips...and I still get 20% more milage from the higher octane fuel.

10% increase in price for a 20% increase in milage! There's also the better perfomance as well (I am not a hoon!)

Any thoughts or comments from others who agree or disagree would be good? It certainly seems to be saving me money.

Tamara:biglaugh:

Guest Damien

I'm no mechanic but I've used premium for years. The higher octanes give a better performance, hence you don't have such a heavy right foot and waste less fuel. We had proper sports cars in the UK and always used premium, apparently the more highly tuned engines need the higher octane or they will suffer. I definitely noticed the better performance (I didn't drive the cars economically, just for fun!). In the UK I used Ron 98, was like rocket fuel! I have heard that the benefits are only for newer engines, older cars you may as well use the cheapo petrol.

Like I said, I'm no mechanic just my observations...and now I have a diesel anyway!

I always use 95 ron fuel. And if many people read the manuals of their vehicles they will find that it's actually recommended they do too. Obviously it depends on the car but our focus tells us that if we use 91 ron fuel then we can expect increased consumption, engine noise and engine wear, and decreased performance. I've tried it, and the engine was pinking (detonation) under load most of the time.

We also get about 15% better consumption with 95 than 91.

Incase anyone doesn't know, the research octane number (ron) is an indication of the fuels resistance to detonation. So the higher the number the more likely to burn cleanly in the cylinders. Also older engines benefit from use of higher octane fuel.

I won't touch 91 ron for my car, but some are fine on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest75

Interesting..........................I'm going to have a word with my marine mech when the boat goes in for a service at the end of this month.

Have to look at the manual for the motor as well.

Boats absolutely suck fuel so this could save a ton of money.

The best I can get in calm conditions is 2.1 k's per Litre! ,often doing trips of 100 / 120 k's. Work it out!

Guest Guest75
We always put the premium fuel in our work boats Tyke. I'm glad I don't have to pay though, imagine running twin 150s and doing 300km per trip!

Sheesh!!! I just shudder to think what they would suck against my 115hp Opti!!

Out "playing" tomorrow , have a thin streak at the moment. Certainly think that the hoooge amount pulled by the commercials off Ardrossan has dropped the numbers here !!

Guest Damien

I'm economising, using my new kayak. Had a few kgw to 39cm today and some small snapper, most within 50m of shore. Managed a 47cm snapper from the yak last time. And I managed to not fall off today - always a bonus!

Guest Guest75

Sorry to the OP but it's turned into a fishing and boating thread ( Tamara - Mwah!)

Not getting me into one of those Shark Smorgsboard Kyak thingies!!

Had a 4m Bronzie hooked out there the other week, he decided to pop out of the water just at the back of the boat!!:shocked::shocked:

Guest Guest75
Well it's the only way to hear from Damien.

Glad he hasn't lost another fishing rod.:biglaugh:

:embarressed:

My friend lost one in The Bay last week, then he fished exactly the same spot this weekend and pulled the rod up!!

(It's on S & H Damo) :wink:

• 3 weeks later...