UK crime, one thing I'll thinkmofnif I ever get home sick

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

My son who's 12 was over our local park today when his friend got threatened to get stabbed unless he gave them his bike, they were older too (16-18 yr olds) and they scared the living daylights out of the poor boy, my son & his friends.

What is the UK coming to :frown:

And this will be one of the things I will remind myself of when I get home sick.... 167 days til we come and I can't blimmin wait

Guest Dennic

So sorry that your boy had to go though that, this country is nothing but trouble now days! But that will help you stay strong when home sickness kicks in. We can't wait to move as I don't think I could let my boys out where we are,

Keep counting down the days!!

Denni ;)

Guest Paula H
So sorry that your boy had to go though that, this country is nothing but trouble now days! But that will help you stay strong when home sickness kicks in. We can't wait to move as I don't think I could let my boys out where we are,

Keep counting down the days!!

Denni ;)

How long do you have?

Guest Dennic

We have wait till November this year, feels like we are waiting forever, but all good things comes to them that wait. ( or so I'm told) hope you and your family feel safer in OZ so you can relax and enjoy!

Denni :smile:

Sorry to hear about your son,i hope he get's over this bad experience .We are in the UK at the moment and to be honest are left speechless at some of the stories daily in the Media regarding violence and criminality.I certainly do not feel Adelaide is anywhere near as bad as the UK in this respect .We had lot's of terrible experiences like yours with our four sons prior to coming to Adelaide,and quite frankly it is a much less intimidating place to live and bring up Children in Adelaide than in the UK.That's my opinion.All the best for the future.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,really sorry to hear of your son's bad experience,must of been pretty awful!Please don't blame the country,blame society!This is my experience,I spent alot of years in Adelaide,and have been the victim of 6 incidences whilst living in Adelaide.I have been in the UK just over 10 years and not had one incident.My kids(aussies)also have not been victims of any crime here in the UK.I may decide to move back to Adelaide at some point(closer to family)and sometimes when I read Adelaide Now online,I'm thinking "That does'nt sounds like the Adelaide I know"so its swings and roundabouts.The reality of life is that crime is increasing,no matter where you live.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we will come there and it won't ever happen, but I'm presuming it's a little safer there?!?!?

Lots of people say they feel safer here but got to say I never felt unsafe in the UK. Seen more evidence of crime and violence in four and a half years here than I can recall in the forty+ years I lived in the UK. Certainly crime isn't sensationalised like it is in the UK (often some really nasty crimes mentioned on early morning radio news only never to be mentioned again - not in newspapers, not followed up on in further bulletins etc) and fortunately kids haven't yet been demonised ... yet.

As for it actually being safer, crime statistics suggest very little difference.

Jim

Guest Paula H
Don't think anywhere is immune to it my young nephew (17) got attacked at marion a couple of weeks ago broke his jaw and his nose said he was just going to his car and got attacked by 3 young guys they also robbed him.

That is awful, I hope he is ok :(

Guest Paula H
Lots of people say they feel safer here but got to say I never felt unsafe in the UK. Seen more evidence of crime and violence in four and a half years here than I can recall in the forty+ years I lived in the UK. Certainly crime isn't sensationalised like it is in the UK (often some really nasty crimes mentioned on early morning radio news only never to be mentioned again - not in newspapers, not followed up on in further bulletins etc) and fortunately kids haven't yet been demonised ... yet.

As for it actually being safer, crime statistics suggest very little difference.

Jim

times I feel unsafe here. There are more & more gangs hanging around & I'd be scared to walk past them... And I'm meant to

live in an 'ok' part of the UK

times I feel unsafe here. There are more & more gangs hanging around & I'd be scared to walk past them... And I'm meant to

live in an 'ok' part of the UK

Yeah, not disputing that it's common for people to feel unsafe in the UK, and gangs on street corners is obviously one of the reasons. Actually, fear of crime is higher in SA than in states such as Qld or NSW, so despite many migrants on boards like this feeling safe, the general population is a bit more twitchy. There are gangs here as well, not least of which are the bikies, and that means grown up men, with all the guns and drugs that go with the territory.

Still, the chance of being a victim of crime is relatively low in both places, but I wouldn't drop your guard just because you're coming here!