Three years on...want to come back to SA

Guest Kelly O

Guest Kelly O

Hi All

Well, 3 years ago today we arrived to start our new lives in Adelaide. To cut a long story short, we lived for a year in Adelaide and it was very up and down in terms of work. We loved the place though. We didn't come over with heaps of money. I am a primary school teacher and was only able to get relief teaching work and my husband had some short term contracts in so we had periods such as school holidays when neither of us were earning anything at all which was hard. We have two boys who are now aged 11 and 9. We loved our life in Adelaide but it was pretty scary at times when the money just wasn't coming in. Sun, sea and atmosphere don't pay the bills.

My husband then was interviewed and got a job..... problem it was in Melbourne. It was well paid and permanent though. We had to decide to we continue struggling in Adelaide ( and we had reached a point when we were nearly out of funds)or take this job. We made the move 2 years ago to Victoria and never really fell in love with Melbourne the way we did Adelaide. Boy do I wish we had stuck it out longer in Adelaide but with many periods scrimping it seemed very appealing to have permanent work. The job took over and we never really got to travel and we might as well be living back in Surrey UK, where we came from.

The boys settled into their new school and cubs ...I carried on being a relief teacher and at 43 seem incapable of getting a permanent position.

My husband became ill and was unable to continue work. He is getting a lot stronger now thank goodness but I have now to decide..... is it time to head back to the UK or hang on in there in Australia and hope things turn around for us. When I asked the boys where they prefer living: Melbourne, UK or Adelaide. Adelaide comes up first choice for all of us. Moral of this lesson.... Adelaide and Melbourne are vastly different. The number plate motto speaks for itself ' Victoria- The place to Be' how arrogant! Boy did I hate changing my SA number plate to that when I registered my car here!! I have made some lovely friends here though, which is its saving grace for me.

I am giving it one more year but my ideal would be to get a job in Adelaide so we could re-start our dream. The 3 years have had so many ups and downs. I often pop on this site and can so relate to the feelings of homesickness especially when times are tough, which they are for most of us unless you land on your feet.

Anyway, I have updated my SA teachers registration and hope one day soon we make it back there. I'll let you know if we do!!

Hi All

wow,you've certainly had a rollercoaster of a ride !!! It would be such a shame to come back to the u.k after everything you've all been through.We have recently just come back from Adelaide after a holiday to activate our visas and we all loved it and can't wait to gt back. Wishing you all the best whatever you decide

Hi Kelly

I'm too spent a year and then returned to the UK - my reason was that although i have a perm visa, on my visa activation visit two principals told me that its very difficult to get perm work as a teacher. One of them did try to tell me that there are back doors in but i didnt understand what he meant. So i went planning only to stay for a year .... Back in the Uk almost two years and really wondering what the point is ... teaching is very tough now - it always had been, but now we are being attacked by the government in every news broadcast. I am looking seriously into returning and will be getting my house sorted to sell shortly.

I hope things work out for you.

Ails

Guest Adelaide_bound

Thanks for the very honest post, imho its posts like this that are the real value of a 'real person' forum such as this - the story the magazines and books and websites generally don't publish and you maybe don't think about whilst you are on your journey.

Having been both comfortable (although never 'rich) and dirt dirt dirt poor in a couple of different places, where you are I believe can make such a huge difference - I think it does depend on the individual to a certain extent, however I know I would rather be here in Oz and as hard up as we were (or worse!) at our worst, than in the UK (I'll have to get back to you on where in Oz, as we haven't experienced very much yet and still haven't reached SA).

Ails - teaching in the UK is the primary reason for us leaving (along with a huge list of other things), I just couldn't face it a single day longer. From what I believe over here, its far more who you know, and getting a foot in the door, rather than having a fab CV, so doing relief work to get that foot in the door and networking is far more important - where you meet people can be bizarre - we met a tour guide who is best friends with the head of education or something in Adelaide (ex teacher/Ofsted from the UK) who I had a lovely long chat with and I will be in touch with again when we eventually settle down and need to start proper work. I know of teachers working in SA who have told me it isn't as dire as the UK (it is getting worse and worse over there with unqualified staff being put in front of classes more and more Kelly O), but have heard that especially primary teaching in WA is virtually impossible if you have your heart set on perm. positions only. Having struggled to get a job in the UK via the traditional method and having to gain one by supply (when we lived in a very nice area and there were very few jobs coming up ever, combined with me moving into Primary teaching from a Secondary and SEN background), imho as someone who doesn't have any dependants other than my husband it doesn't seem the worse way in the world to get a job, but do have it in the back of my mind I'm not too sure what we will do in the school holidays - working in a supermarket at least is a possibility where the wage is a living wage, unlike the UK.

Good luck to you both and keep us updated on your news, hope everything works out as you want it to.

Hi Adelaide Bound

I was very lucky during my year in Adelaide, I had more work than i needed. 2 schools used me pretty much full time, but i really put myself out and cultivated relationships with people in those schools - it paid off. I was offered contract work in both schools, but had committed to coming back to Uk so didnt take them. I'm hoping that I can do the same again - i'll have a little buffer if (!) i sell my house. I'm single so doing it alone andwould be great to meet other teachers when i get there again ...

i'll keep you updated on my progress

Guest Kelly O

Hi Ails, hope it works out for you too. I realised when I re-read my title it sounds like I went back to the UK. I haven't been back. We emigrated and lived in Adelaide then moved to a Melbourne suburb. I have had lots of relief teaching work which is fine when you are either single or have a partner who is earning. I have two kids and a husband who became too ill to work. Thank you all for your good wishes. I am just starting a 5 week contract here( Melbourne) which will help but our goal is to return to the lovely Adelaide.

Guest Jennet

hI

I work as a qualified Lecturer in the UK, but to me teaching work isn't too important if there isn't any work or cannot get any, WHY NOT change careers or do something else until something comes up. I'd rather do any job to pay the bills than think of going back to the UK, teaching is really tough here learning is not the key thing for students any more its actually a joke. people emigrate to change there life or their kids future so why not change the career????? don't understand the problem i find it strange.

Kelly I have to agree with Jennet on this. Yes its hard, but you guys have already been through so much. Look for jobs in Adelaide while you're still in Melbourne. Maybe something will come up. I hope that your husband gets better soon and that you guys make it back to Adelaide to pursue your dream. Best of luck to you and your family.:smile:

Guest Kelly O

Thank you Jennet. I will consider what other careers to go for. I have no admin skillls. The only other jobs I have ever done as a student were filling shelves in a supermarket and waitressing. When I am going to be the sole earner for a while I think that is the problem and we also need to fund an interstate move and find a rental.

I have only ever been a primary school teacher but would of course consider a career change. When we first arrived in Adelaide there was a children's librarian position I applied for but I didn't get an interview. I will seriously consider your suggestion though.

Guest Jennet
Thank you Jennet. I will consider what other careers to go for. I have no admin skillls. The only other jobs I have ever done as a student were filling shelves in a supermarket and waitressing. When I am going to be the sole earner for a while I think that is the problem and we also need to fund an interstate move and find a rental.

I have only ever been a primary school teacher but would of course consider a career change. When we first arrived in Adelaide there was a children's librarian position I applied for but I didn't get an interview. I will seriously consider your suggestion though.

hi

from your earlier information i think you've all gone through the mill, i do hope your husband gets better and he can enjoy OZ, but if its clear Adelaide had that feeling and Melbourne hasn't it speaks for itself. especially if your boys prefer Adelaide, it seems you will all be far happier in Adelaide, there are jobs but its a case of setting your mind away from what you specialize in to deeper and wider thinking, what you can do until you eventually get what you want. too many people emigrate and won't shift from changing their set career mind and end up going home blaming the country for limited work. that's what i find a joke.

you have clearly kept things going and kept strong through the difficult times in a different country and away from family so i think you can sort this issue out.

As a primary school teacher you will have many skills such as good management skills, organisation, good communication skills etc so they will be something out there for you.

hope things work out for you and your family

Guest Adelaide_bound

You kinda contradict yourself there - if you have been a primary school teacher in the UK in the last (at least) 15 years, you have a wealth of transferable skills, admin being the very least of them. Think about everything you did day to day as a teacher - marketing skills (presenting carp things as fun and enjoyable to the kiddies!), PA skills (organising yourself and 30 odd little people day in day out), PR (telling little jonny's parents he is in fact a little s*d, not the light of everyone's life at all, without them running straight to the head), entertainer and presenter (a large % of teaching time is actually acting), public speaker, and so on and so on. Not to mention your role as a mother - lots of transferable skills there as well.

Its just what spin you put on things really...:)

Guest Kelly O

Thank you so much for your replies. Adelaide Bound thank you for making me realise that yes, the skills I have developed in primary school teaching are many and varied. You sum teaching up so beautifully and made me smile which is something I haven't done much since leaving Adelaide for Melbourne in 2010. Jennet...you are right my family has been through the mill with my husband's illness but we are coming through it. We are living on a tight budget again but our boys have learnt so much through our experiences over the past three years. It certainly had been character building for all of us. We also have experienced first hand as patients with no medical cover (or not sufficient) that it is very like the NHS and they won't not treat you! Also experiencing claiming benefits is just like in the UK. Forms get lost, queues, phone calls, concession cards...it tales a while but you get there. We have experienced fun times, sad times, crazy times, skint times, affluent times, scary times......I have no regrets.....just would dearly love to make it back to Adelaide!