Thank you Mods!

Lazy Cow

I stupidly clicked on a horrible post...then signed in so I could report it but coudn't see how :sad:

I'm a fragile flower and was totally shocked at what I saw so I just wanted to say a

BIG THANK YOU

To the mods who, as I understand it, often end up seeing and removing threads such as the disgusting one I saw ...with no real thanks from us.

so here's my effort at a bit of gratitude!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

LC

Guest pennyblack

But its still there and to be honest it shouldnt have been able to be posted in the first place.

Yes its still there...... com on admin, sort it out.

Guest pennyblack

My apologies, it was still there because I just clicked back while reading LC's post and didnt refresh the page.

Hospital eh,... any old excuse not to monitor the forum.

But seriously,Hope its nothing too serious,and a speedy recovery to you Ktee x.

Can I just highlight the fact that it's difficult to delete something before it's been posted (although we try our best!)

When people register on the forum, their IP address, email address and username are compared against the 'stopforumspam' database and if there's a match, the registration is rejected there and then.

Additionally, at registration time, a 'human verification' question has to be answered to complete the registration process (which prevents automated programs from creating spammy user accounts).

Finally, the first 5 posts of new members accounts are monitored by a program which checks for spammy links and places the post into a moderation queue if any such links are found.

In addition to the automated systems that are in place, we also have a team of moderators and admin who check the forum for inappropriate content, however, it is not possible for them to be on-line 24x7 nor to check each individual post that is made in real-time. That is why in part,we rely on the membership of utilise the report post feature to notify us of inappropriate content. Once a post is reported, all the moderators and administrators get an email alert. It is then usually only a matter of mintures before one of the team log on and delete the post and infract or ban the poster of the content.

Guest pennyblack

Finally, the first 5 posts of new members accounts are monitored by a program which checks for spammy links and places the post into a moderation queue if any such links are found.

How did this get through the first 5 posts monitored then, not being awkward just curious. cos that was a spammy link if ever ive seem one, my wife dot com or something like that. maybe it would be better to restrict any type of hyper link in the first 5 posts.

Is that possible.

How did this get through the first 5 posts monitored then, not being awkward just curious. cos that was a spammy link if ever ive seem one, my wife dot com or something like that. maybe it would be better to restrict any type of hyper link in the first 5 posts.

Is that possible.

Links are compared against the 'askimet' database. The link wouldn't have been found in the askimet database as the link contained a swear word which the forum software had automatically asterisked out, hence the link wasn't a valid URL.

I stupidly clicked on a horrible post...then signed in so I could report it but coudn't see how :sad:

LC, quite simple to report stuff. Under each post is a little set of icons, over the left side. One of them is an '!' inside a triangle. That is the report button. Click that and a new screen appears asking you for the report reason, type in there do we know what it is and hit the submit/enter button and all is done.

:)

Guest pennyblack
Links are compared against the 'askimet' database. The link wouldn't have been found in the askimet database as the link contained a swear word which the forum software had automatically asterisked out, hence the link wasn't a valid URL.
thanks for the reply Cerberus1.

No problem. Spam/inappropriate content is just as annoying for the admin and mods as it is for the members. We try our best to keep it off the forum and are always looking for ways of minimising it, while at the same time, trying not to restrict forum features for regular members / make the registration process too annoying for genuine new members etc. In light of this though, I have made some adjustments which should result in new posts being scanned more thoroughly.

Guest USA soon just SA

I think you guys are doing a great job. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to make a site like this look clean and organized depsite the haphazzard internet world it exists in. You guys rock! I am on a forum here in the states that allows regular users to stop access to a post until the mods can check it out, what about that option. Just a thought!