Positive stories only!

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

Just about to hopefully land our visa and panic has set in big time. I'm worrying about things I can't control or predict - the list is endless - but mainly will we get jobs and not end up homeless, potless and destitute! I do myself no favours reading the very honest experiences of people on here who are struggling and I just think what if that happens to us? Stupidly I'm also seeing the UK differently and thinking its not so bad (but then a sub zero bank holiday weekend in May really hacked me off). I guess it's just the leap into the great unknown and the gamble that is freaking me out as I'm not an impulsive person. Certain quarters of our extended family have amplified this by being fairly unsupportive and it's knocked my confidence. In my heart I know it's right because if I don't try I'll get to 50 always wondering what if. My main motivation is the lifestyle it will offer my children and I know their ages (7 & 4) mean it is an optimal time to go. So selfishly with blinkers fully on to stories of where it's not gone right (sorry!), I thought I'd start a thread of positive experiences just to keep me (and others who may feel like me), focused and brave while I'm repeating the mantra 'feel the fear and do it anyway'!!! So all you who have made the move out there that are pro-Oz please contribute (hope that doesn't sound like the ramblings of a mad woman haha)

Guest moonraker1959

Of course no one can offer you guarantee's!What you're experiencing is what most people experience......Normal fears and worries,so don't beat yourself up over it.I think its best to keep expectations realistic and maybe tell yourself that no matter what happens,you'll all get through it.Re your family not being that supportive,thats not surprising.They are going to miss you alot,Imagine if you were staying and one of those people in your family were the one's going?I don't mean to say that to put you on a guilt trip either,just that its good sometimes to put yourselves in their shoes,and you'll get a better understanding of where they're coming from.Most people do have fears,when moving somewehre new,because although you can control some things,there are some aspects you can't!It is scary throwing your lives out there,not knowing what will happen,but have faith,and don't think too far into the future,because if you stay in the present time,what could be scary?Nothing!You'll be fine hon,enjoy the journey and process!All the best and I hope it works out for you!

Guest guest8040

Thanks so much it's just good to hear this is normal to feel this way, Ive been feeling like I'm unhinged going through these feelings! I think I've built it up into a nightmare in my head so am definitely not wearing any rose tinted specs at all! I've never been a materialistic person so just hope for an income for both of us, a safe area to live in with a decent school and for the kids to settle. Big houses, loads of money, pools, and all that stuff does not drive me. Ive felt very guilty about the family but one side have never once said they can understand our reasons for doing it just silence for a year and then negativity to the point if God forbid it didn't work out I know we'd get a whole load of 'told you so's! I'm my own worse enemy and probably ruminate more of the stories of struggles on here than the positive stories! Thanks for the morale boost though x

I am so glad to see your thread. We have our medicals on friday and it is so close now we can almost taste it. We have planned to come out early next year as we have to sell our house here.

I to have the same worries and the closer we get to completing the visa the more worried I'm getting. Much the same thoughts - will we find jobs, what will the schools be like, will I like it, can we afford to live in a decent area??? All of which are things that are worrying me.

Let's hope to see some positive feedback.

Guest Paula H

Hi

We fly out in sept... Have exactly the same thoughts as you, coming with our 3 children aged 3, 10 & 12, we know that we don't want to stay inthe UK. After tons of research Adelaide seems the best place for us and we are really looking forward to starting a new chapter in our lives, yes it's a big thing uprooting our children from everything they know but we have been open with them from the start and they are up for the adventure too.... Put it this way, the UK is not going anywhere. Are very worried about work but if have found work here with this population then surely, eventually we will find work in oz, even if we end up doing something different wee are not coming with a great deal of money either so again another worry for us....

With all these worries, we are still smiling, still excited, still coming

PM me if you want xx

Guest guest8040

Positive Paula that's how I'll think of you now! It's good to hear in both replies you both feel the same, it's a roller coaster of emotions and I'm worrying I'm going to bottle it by being overwhelmed by all the worry. I'm going to take moon rakers advice and live for today as that will help. Still hope to hear some positive stories though to drown out the negative voice that tends to be loudest when I think about it all!

Guest Paula H

Think of it this way:

you will always hear negative and think of these things as we are going into the unknown

BUT it won't stop is going so no point in worrying about it :-)

Just about to hopefully land our visa and panic has set in big time. I'm worrying about things I can't control or predict - the list is endless - but mainly will we get jobs and not end up homeless, potless and destitute! I do myself no favours reading the very honest experiences of people on here who are struggling and I just think what if that happens to us? Stupidly I'm also seeing the UK differently and thinking its not so bad (but then a sub zero bank holiday weekend in May really hacked me off). I guess it's just the leap into the great unknown and the gamble that is freaking me out as I'm not an impulsive person. Certain quarters of our extended family have amplified this by being fairly unsupportive and it's knocked my confidence. In my heart I know it's right because if I don't try I'll get to 50 always wondering what if. My main motivation is the lifestyle it will offer my children and I know their ages (7 & 4) mean it is an optimal time to go. So selfishly with blinkers fully on to stories of where it's not gone right (sorry!), I thought I'd start a thread of positive experiences just to keep me (and others who may feel like me), focused and brave while I'm repeating the mantra 'feel the fear and do it anyway'!!! So all you who have made the move out there that are pro-Oz please contribute (hope that doesn't sound like the ramblings of a mad woman haha)

I know exactly how you feel. We are just waiting for the police check and medical results, and looking to go out next year but it is scary! My wife is 50-50 about the whole thing, so I have to be the positive one but I am also pretty worried about finding work etc. I have just made a spreadsheet of all the contacts I have made recruitment-wise and the steps I need to take nearer the time - being a geek makes me feel slightly better!

It is a big risk financially, with the risk of using savings but it has to be one worth taking - hopefully we'll be able to share a few glasses of wine over a bbq in 2013 in Adelaide, and talk about how it was the best decision we ever made!

Guest guest8040

That sounds good - I cannot express the relief I have knowing I'm not the only one that feels this way. It was my idea to give emigration a go and although my husband is 100% with me on it and it was done with joint agreement I ultimately, no matter what he says, will feel responsible if it all goes wrong! However as we're going out there with me as the main visa applicant he wouldn't have had the opportunity without me! Haven't told the kids or any friends yet,not until we have that visa in our hands, so maybe it will be better when we get that opportunity. I want the kids, although they're little, on board with us but had we told them from the beginning and they were excited they'd have been asking when we were going every day!

Guest The Dimmocks

We moved in February 2010 and had all the same feelings you are having. Hubby had been offered a job before we left so didnt have that worry. When we got here we were living in Paradise. Hubbys job was based in Port Adelaide. We met with the man who had offered him the job and all was good. We had made friends through PIA who lived down South so we visited them a few times. This made us change our minds about where we wanted to live. Hubby applied for a job in the paper based in the South and was offered it at interview. We moved down South and have loved it ever since. Job in the South lasted a year before they went into Administration. He is not one to sit around and wait for jobs, the day he left had already arranged 2 interviews for the following week. To cut a long story short he had 4 jobs in two months, the 4th one he is still at a year later and enjoys it. It is based up in Cavan so he has a long commute to work, but he is happy.

I found a job at McDonalds and am enjoying it, hard work though.

Our kids have settled well, our one son was found to have Global Development Delay at 3.5yrs and we have had lots of help from Disability SA and we are currently awaiting an appointment to get him assessed for Autism.

I felt a bit isolated when we first arrived but made myself go out and meet people. I have more English friends than Australian but to me I dont care as a friend is a friend and someone who you can turn to when you need help, and I have needed them a few times since being here with different things.

In the time I have been here I know 4 people who arrived after us and have returned to the UK. They all had different reasons and are all happy back in the UK. It is not for everyone and I dont think any amount of research or reccies will prepare you for what it is like to actually live here day to day, that is my personal view by the way.

I went back to the UK last November, on my own for 3 whole weeks. I had a great time but couldnt wait to get back home.

We are a positive family and always look on the bright side of life, friends say I am the luckiest person they know LOL. Maybe our positive outlook has made us lucky.

Anyway sorry for the babble.

Michelle

Two days ago we hit the mile stone of having been here 8 years and it's always at that time we sit and take stock of how far we have come - literally and metaphorically.

When we moved our kids were 7 and 10 and we moved cos we could - I was born here so we were able to get citizenship by decent for the kids and then a spouse visa for hubby. So now our youngest has spent more time here than he had in the UK and he has said as much as he misses the family he loves living here. My daughter has also said how much easier she has found it to be herself here. She's not a typicall 18 year old - drinking and clubbing don't appeal to her at all - and she feels that she has been able to embrace who she wants to be with less stigma. (her sentiments)

As for us as a family - we are in a place I could not have imagined ever reaching in the UK - we have more disposable income here than we ever had when we lived there, we live in a home that I can honestly say is as close as damned it to my dream home and we have 2 level headed successful children - what more could we ask for!

It has not been easy - within the first 18 months Roy's dad had a major heart attack, my nan passed away and then I lost my beloved mum too :sad: - but none of this was because we moved or because we chose Adelaide, they would have happened anyway. We also started off in an area of Adelaide that I will honestly say I hated and Tom (my youngest) was totally miserable at school. But instead of blaming Adelaide or the country we just tried a different suburb. I also ended up spending 18 months in what I can honestly say was the worse job i have ever had, but i just stuck with it until something else came along - the job i am still doing after 5 years - and it has really made me appreciate a great working environment.

So now, 8 years later, Roy is still working for the same place he started at 4 weeks after we landed, I am doing a job I actually really enjoy, Tom is in year 11 and has just landed his first part time job (Go Tom!! :wink:) and Laura has successfully completed her high schooling and is studying at Adelaide Uni and loving it!! Things for us are as close as I think we could ever imagine to perfect. Would have been nice to win the mega jackpot on lotto the other night - but hey you can't win it all!!

Guest Guest75

I'm post 50 now and in that position of "Been there,seen that and got the T Shirt"

We will have been here in SA for 12 years next week..

Worth it.

As I write this I have sunshine on a Winter's day and Kookaburra's laughing down my chimney!!

It's normal to worry, you would not be hooman otherwise...............

A lot of it is up to you and your attitude.

Keep off the rosy coloured glasses.

As a bit of a guide..............

Rule of 2 and 4....

2 years to feel anything like settled here.

4 years to catch up anywhere near financially.

If all else fails, we have some very cheap carton wine here...............:biglaugh::wacko:

Have a look at this thread............. Lots of good stories in there.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/16040-all-who-have-settled-here.html

Edited by Guest75

Guest BenJay

To add my view to the discussion...

We came in September 2010 and are now preparing to go back.

In my opinion coming to Australia and staying here is a bit of a gamble and no research can give the answer if you will stay here or not.

We are coming back partly because of work conditions (many jobs in IT but low salaries vs. costs of living) and partly because it turned out that we are not good material for immigrants.

Whether you are British, South African or German, immigrant is your status after arrival to Australia and this status will also have your older children who won't pick up the Aussie accent. Also, Adelaide is a very 'networked' place and looking for a job you will be from outside the network (the 'local experience' catch 22)

But coming back is very positive for us. It is coming back 'home' after all and I think calling a place home is the key here. Sometimes you have to come and live that far from where you were born to realise where your true home is.

We have learnt a lot about Australia and Australians, about ourselves, got a lot of new experiences. It was surely worth the effort (and money), we were happy living in Adelaide but Australia is not our home and I am not a 'mate', I do not like UV14 in the summer and I do not like SPF 50+ sun screens.

Another positive thing for me is that I am coming back to a good job and exactly the same good financial terms that I had before coming to Adelaide so for our family it was a sort of a gap year in Australia. So keep your doors open in UK if possible and do not sell your house if you do not have to. Also, shipping your furniture and stuff does not really make economical sense.

So my piece of advice is: go for it and come to Australia but be realistic and expect hard times at first. You won't be tourist here and many things will remind you about this many times.

Hi thewhitehouse aka rambling mad woman, unfortunately you've caught a bug called the Aus bug. Those afflicted feel themselves being drawn to Australia, and the only cure is to come here and 'give it a go'. If you don't 'give it a go' the bug stays in your system, and will raise its head from time to time and cause you to think 'what if '. At times you may question if you are taking the right course, leaving all you love behind, taking a risk with your familys future, but the Aus bug has no mercy and clings on. Family and friends don't always understand and may feel hurt by your decisions, but they are not afflicted by the Aus bug, so may never fully understand.

Broadly speaking there are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that try and those that watch. Those that try may fail, but there is no shame, as at least they've tried. Those that watch haven't the right to comment on such things, as they haven't even tried.

The short version is 'we love it here' so go for it!

Guest guest7008

hi, as previous people have said, you are not alone in how you are feeling....its the thought of the unknown that scares us.....we landed 20th February 2012, myself, husband and 6 Kids......people we knew thought we were mad to give up our nice life, our security and our home to come to a country that we had never been to before....and taking 6 children to the other side of the world is rather daunting to say the least !!! However....we are here....living in a super house.....in a super location.....kids all in school and loving it and slowly making friends...husband is working permanently and earns more here than in the UK.....we did not bring hardly any money with us, just enough to get us here, a 5 week holiday rental....bond money for a long term rental and enough to pay bills and food for those first few months....now we have used all our savings....so its back to normal....working...school runs.....bills and food shop, we have just bought a newer car and getting there.....I have left my eldest child in the UK so that is unbearably hard...BUT....this is what we came here for....not to change our lives but to enrich it...show the children things they have never seen before....on the school run we see the most amazing birds......we go the beaches and see dolphins and sting ray...things that cost NOTHING but the kids so enjoy it all...our lives will not change here, we will still have the same stuff to deal with here as we did in the UK...but we wake up smiling every day and go to bed smiling knowing we are here and its only going to get better....we are working damm hard to ensure that us and the kids live that dream BUT not an unrealistic dream.....cos crap does happen here and in the Uk.....for the kids its an adventure of a lifetime...showing them there is more to the world than just the UK..we are giving them huge possibilities for their futures and thats why we are here......

I am not going to flower it up as those early days are bloody hard...its like someone has picked you up, spun you round 50 times and plonked you down and told you to get on with it.....but we did it, all 8 of us and we still smiling......so think positive...keep smiling and think of that lady with 6 kids who managed it when you having doubts and fears.....cos if we can do this then I think anyone can.....if they just a tad insane......

Guest AngPhil

We have 80 days until we fly out and if I am completelyhonest I am completely S***ing myself. Ihave always been really positive about the move, but on Sunday I cracked andwondered what the hell are we doing. Mychildren are worried and we have no jobs to go to. I am leaving a good job I’ve been in for 11years, my OH is leaving his business and we are leaving our close family (wholive 3 miles away at the moment). Thethought of saying goodbye to my family makes me feel ill.

However, this is the biggest adventure of our lives. I don’t want to look back and wonder whatif. My sister left for the Army when shewas 17 and we were all devastated. Butif I am honest it didn’t take me or my parents that long to get used toit. Life goes on for those leftbehind. She has done some amazing thingsand really lives her life to the full. Weare just as close now as before. Shenever regrets her decision and after a chat with her last night it has puteverything into perspective. We aregoing for a massive family adventure, we can always come back to the UK if itdoesn’t work out.

Guest moonraker1959

Benjay,sorry to hear it did'nt work out for you,but you know what?Alot of folk that return to the UK,return with full appreciation of the UK,and can then get on with their lives,feeling really settled and that says alot.Of course there are the pingpongers,and that must feel quite unsettling I would think,not to mention expensive.Feeling content with life is one of the biggest assets you can have!You had the guts to give it a go,and good on you for that!Best of luck for a happy future!I feel really lucky that I could live in either country and be equally happy!

Guest guest8040

Brilliant replies everyone! Feeling buoyed by it all...even benjays response as on a good day I can just look at it as a great life experience my 7 and 4 year old will have, even if it doesn't work out. Just my mam to deal with now who has gone from fully supporting our decision gor a year to saying in the last two weeks that it will be like a bereavement!

Guest AngPhil

My mum said it would be like a bereavement about 6 months ago. She also said she'd not visit as she doesn't like flying (she has just come back from Mexico). She is now talking about when they will visit! She'll come round. Keep you chin up it will be worth it x

Guest Guest75
My mum said it would be like a bereavement about 6 months ago. She also said she'd not visit as she doesn't like flying (she has just come back from Mexico). She is now talking about when they will visit! She'll come round. Keep you chin up it will be worth it x

You most parents come around quickly and then keep visiting. We had both Mum's at once for 10 weeks!!!

We arrived 26/1/2012, in the worst slump in years apparently, I too had my own business and the wife had a fab job, we lived a confortable life in a beautiful house. Three months in, my wife is at uni, and I am still going through the system of getting my qualifications converted to aussy ones, Im a Sparky, but never finished a apprenticeship in the UK which is complicating things here to our expense. we came over with around 200k in the bank we are well on track to using half within the first year, however we are not on a PR visa, so everything down to training courses costs us the full whack!! and thats why its sounds a lot of doe.

Inspite of that, we new what we were coming into and how much it was going to cost, we knew it would take 6 months for me to get on the work ladder. This place is humming with available work, providing you are prepared to diversify. The huge building projets that are in operation here is amazing this city is expanding daily so if you cant make it here you will have trouble anywhere, the uk is stagnent specially for manual workers.

Its very easy to get negative too quick, just remember its an investment in you and your children's future, and not many investments pay off right away.

Yes you will get all the bonuses right away, climate, beaches, wineries, great new friends, but the investment will take longer to pay off. Thats my view anyway. Come over with an open mind, and a fair bit of expendable cash!!.

As you are only asking for the POSITIVES, but as everyone over here will tell you migrating is usually filled with up and downs, here is a list of our 'ups'...

At the current exchange rate, I earn 3 times what I did in the UK and my partner earns double what he did in the UK

Good friends

Good life

Lovely house

Own a convertible car and nothing beats driving along the seafront, with the roof down and looking up at the blue sky and feeling the warmth of the sun on you.

We have had solar power fitted and after 4 months we are in credit $488 so hopefully no electric and gas bills to pay (we can use our electric credit to pay our gas bill) for some time to come.

Being able to call a spade a spade without everyone getting all PC.

Guest AngPhil
You most parents come around quickly and then keep visiting. We had both Mum's at once for 10 weeks!!!

Lol, not sure 10 weeks with both of them is what we'd imagined! I think it might finish us off. :)