Just seen a thread on PIO.... Leaving debt in UK

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

they will get caught right?

Surely just because you leave the country doesn't make you invisible to debt companies etc....

PS.... Will not even consider doing it, I'd be pooping myself at every letter/phonecall/knock :nah:

Not paying a debt is a civil wrong, not a criminal one, so entering the uk won't matter. Obviously they will have trouble getting credit for a long time in the uk if they return.

They may chase you here, but don't have any right to enforce repayment as far as I know.

But it's all top much hassle, why would you do it.

Guest Guest75
here's me thinking everyone on this site is honest...

stevo

LOL Steve, shame innit??

Me?? I'd be waiting with the thumbscrews or shop em in.:policeman:

ALWAYS paid my way / debts and can sleep at night.

Don't get me started...................:arghh:

Guest Guest75

Surely just because you leave the country doesn't make you invisible to debt companies etc....

PS.... Will not even consider doing it, I'd be pooping myself at every letter/phonecall/knock :nah:

I can't see the thread,is it in finance or CTF???

Guest ReadyPenny

This argument was had a couple of years ago on here and PIO. Upshot? A debt advisor (member) advised that debts cannot be enforced here, unless the money is owed to the Government from overpayments of benefits, tax etc etc. Companies can chase you, phonecalls, letters etc but they can't enforce it, even if they sell it to an Aus debt collector. After 7 years the debt is wiped from your credit file in the UK and you can start again!!!!! I remember it well, it was a very heated "debate" at the time!!!!!

I think some people emigrate purely to escape massive debt sometimes with some of the things I read!

Different folk, different strokes I guess, but please don't get Tyke started, it's his pet hate!!!! LOL

Guest Richie_T
This argument was had a couple of years ago on here and PIO. Upshot? A debt advisor (member) advised that debts cannot be enforced here, unless the money is owed to the Government from overpayments of benefits, tax etc etc. Companies can chase you, phonecalls, letters etc but they can't enforce it, even if they sell it to an Aus debt collector. After 7 years the debt is wiped from your credit file in the UK and you can start again!!!!! I remember it well, it was a very heated "debate" at the time!!!!!

I think some people emigrate purely to escape massive debt sometimes with some of the things I read!

Different folk, different strokes I guess, but please don't get Tyke started, it's his pet hate!!!! LOL

Any chance i could get away with my Student Loan repayments then? I havent paid anything since I arrived here!

Guest ReadyPenny
Any chance i could get away with my Student Loan repayments then? I havent paid anything since I arrived here!

Not if "Student Finance UK" is a Government body!!! If they're not then yes it will disappear after 7 years!! Incindentally, Student Finance are in touch with my daughter here for her student loan, which she is not repaying yet as she is still studying.

Yes you should pay your student loan. I don't like people thinking they can get away with anything just because they are not in the country. Other poor souls pay it - so should you!

There are 2 points to consider:

- It is possible that criminal offences have been committed in England and that some form of investigation and prosecution may follow.

- It is possible that debts have been occurred in England for which judgment may be sought against defendants resident in South Australia.

Edited by emmie

. but please don't get Tyke started, it's his pet hate!!!! LOL

Not just Tyke's!

I cannot stand self-justifying a-holes who run up debts then slide away leaving the rest of us to pay for their dishonesty. And pay we will because the banks, shops, finance companies etc just pass the financial buck onto us mugs who do things 'the right way'.

BTW, for the people who reckon we are all dishonest, we're not.

I believe the majority of people are hard-working and straight as.

And for those who think we must've had it easy, no, we had a company decide not to pay us £20k, we weathered (somehow) huge negative equity, etc but we've worked hard, have little financially but a fantastic family and heaps of fun. So pfft!

:) LC

Guest Guest75
Not just Tyke's!

I cannot stand self-justifying a-holes who run up debts then slide away leaving the rest of us to pay for their dishonesty. And pay we will because the banks, shops, finance companies etc just pass the financial buck onto us mugs who do things 'the right way'.

BTW, for the people who reckon we are all dishonest, we're not.

I believe the majority of people are hard-working and straight as.

And for those who think we must've had it easy, no, we had a company decide not to pay us £20k, we weathered (somehow) huge negative equity, etc but we've worked hard, have little financially but a fantastic family and heaps of fun. So pfft!

:) LC

Nice to see we agree on at least ONE thing LC...................

Guest matt n mel

I couldn't agree more Paula. Couldn't sleep at night. Who does that?????????!!!

mel

Isn't it the kind of thing you'll just accrue interest on the loan and the longer you don't repay it the more you'll end up with should you ever return to the UK? The loans are often paid back in timeframes far longer than 7 years so am not sure it will apply.

FWIW, my hubby, an Aussie who moved to the UK after he finished uni doesn't have to begin to repay his Aus uni debt till such time as he is resident in Aus again permanently. But in the meantime, the interest will be stacking up and he'll have a chunk to pay off when he finally moves back. No matter how long he is gone for, unless he never resides permanently in Aus again he will have to repay that student debt at some point. I think the UK has something similar.

I'd not run out on a student loan or avoid paying it if you are obligated to do so. Fair enough, if you don't have to repay it if living overseas, don't, but should you return to the UK to live, you should be prepared to repay what you owe.

Isn't it the kind of thing you'll just accrue interest on the loan and the longer you don't repay it the more you'll end up with should you ever return to the UK? The loans are often paid back in timeframes far longer than 7 years so am not sure it will apply.

FWIW, my hubby, an Aussie who moved to the UK after he finished uni doesn't have to begin to repay his Aus uni debt till such time as he is resident in Aus again permanently. But in the meantime, the interest will be stacking up and he'll have a chunk to pay off when he finally moves back. No matter how long he is gone for, unless he never resides permanently in Aus again he will have to repay that student debt at some point. I think the UK has something similar.

I'd not run out on a student loan or avoid paying it if you are obligated to do so. Fair enough, if you don't have to repay it if living overseas, don't, but should you return to the UK to live, you should be prepared to repay what you owe.

Yeah, I thought you only paid back student loans through the PAYE system, I could be wrong though. Mine was paid off a few years ago thankfully!

As for the main thread - I cannot understand why anyone would run away from their debts - it's symptom of what's wrong with elements of 21st century society.

Guest Helchops

There are laws to enforce debt overseas - Australia and the United Kingdom have agreements in place for that very reason - however, it's an expensive process and one that most lenders wouldn't persue.

Personally, through working in finance, I've seen many people living very sheltered lives because of the constant badgering of them from lenders, demanding money, household items and threatening all sorts of legal action...lenders are and can be monsters...make no mistake.

I am in favour of giving banks less powers, and not more to chase debt. There are many people living very depressed lives because a loved one needed hospital treatment, their business went bump or they owe the government child tax credits when they were overpaid. It's easy to take the moral high ground and say, 'everyone must pay' but through fractional reserve banking, the lender manufactures money on a grand scale and charges (often) those people who can't afford to pay it back massive interest rates (pay day loans anyone?).

Remember that large debt above £25,000 is secured on property usually.

p.s. not in favour of walking away from your obligations - I've never done it and I'm going to say never will (with some exceptions)

Edited by Helchops

Guest yogi64

We made sure we paid off everything we owed before leaving to UK, to us it was more of a moral thing.

The frightening thing is, if these people can leave the UK with debts and then for it to be wiped out in seven years, what stops them from doing exactly the same thing here, run up debts over seven years and then just piss off to the UK again, unfortunately there are a few out there that do not have the same morals as people have on here.

Mike