Dawn French and Flybuys??? Classic response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica Berry

See my email correspondence with Flybuys (to the poms in the UK it is like Tesco Clubcard) about why Dawn French is the face of flybuys...I am still waiting for an answer to my question, the people sending these standard responses probably have no idea who Dawn French is either, so they can't answer the question!!!!

Hello

I am intrigued(as a pom!) why Dawn French was chosen to be the 'face' of the relaunch offlybuys? We have lived in Australia for 5 years andapart from re-runs of The Vicar of Dibley, Dawn French does not appear to havemuch in common with the Australian people or Coles. I asked the person servingme at the checkout at Coles if they knew who the lady on the flybuys poster wasand they said "I have no idea", which I think is the answer I wouldhave got if I had asked most people in the shop.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback to Coles Customer Care.

With the launch of the new flybuys, we rely on feedbackfrom our members to continue to improve your experience.

We have taken on board and passed on your feedbackto the relevant areas of the business.

Regards,

The flybuys Team

Thank you for your email. However, Iam unsure from the response if I will receive an additional email from you withthe answer to my question or is the response the answer (which does not answerthe question!!)?

Thanks for your feedback.

With the launch of the new flybuys, we rely on feedback from our members tocontinue to improve your experience.

We have taken on board and passed on your feedback to the relevant areas of thebusiness.

Enjoy!

The flybuys Team

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

They say on their FB page that she was chosen by the customers from a list of international and Australian celebrities...

:huh:

Because the guy who runs Coles is a Pom who used to run Tescos ........ I'm pretty sure. I have seen him on the TV saying he is modelling the stores on Tesco now, which is why they look so different now, with less choice and higher prices.

BTW me n hubby reckon Dawnie looks bloody awful now ............ and she used to be quite a hottie for a fat chick :biglaugh:

Dawn French was one of my favourites UNTIL NOW - cant stand the Coles advert and now I've gone off her because its on non-stop (it was bad enough before because of the woman with the stupid voice and the silly red finger) PLEASE DAWN FRENCH STICK TO WHAT YOU DO BEST....... not Coles adverts

I was intrigued why Coles would choose Dawn French over a known Aussie comedian/ celebrity so I googled it and found this:

Simon McDowell, Coles’ Marketing Director, told B&T they chose Dawn because she “represents the spirit of Flybuys and Coles” and that the ads “capture the moment and the hearts and minds of Aussie families.”

And that seemed the best answer I could find although I don't think it's any better than the response you got, Jessica Berry!

I think French is pretty well known here, if only because of The Vicar of Dibley, but it did seem that the general consensus was, "why not an Aussie?" and I agree with them......although apparently Curtis Stone is in one ad with French :biggrin:

LC

Because the guy who runs Coles is a Pom who used to run Tescos ........ I'm pretty sure. I have seen him on the TV saying he is modelling the stores on Tesco now, which is why they look so different now, with less choice and higher prices.

That would make sense, I did wonder if there was some sort of a friend of a friend scenario as to why she got the job, she is probably mates with the pom that runs Coles!

I think French is pretty well known here, if only because of The Vicar of Dibley, but it did seem that the general consensus was, "why not an Aussie?" and I agree with them......although apparently Curtis Stone is in one ad with French :biggrin:

LC

I do find it a bit much that we are constantly told to buy Australian and support Australian farmers etc and then they use a pom (it would be different if they lived here) on a massive marketing campaign which is all about getting us to buy more food at the end of the day and shop at Coles.

When you think of all the Aussie chefs they could have used that have such high profiles just for example, I still feel Dawn French is a very strange choice.

I do find it a bit much that we are constantly told to buy Australian and support Australian farmers etc and then they use a pom (it would be different if they lived here) ......

Now shhhhhhhh...if they hear you say that last bit, we'll get Ben Elton instead and then I'd have to emigrate back to the UK!!!

Now shhhhhhhh...if they hear you say that last bit, we'll get Ben Elton instead and then I'd have to emigrate back to the UK!!!

He already tried and failed http://mumbrella.com.au/nine-axes-ben-eltons-live-from-planet-earth-40045

Dawn French is know here for a few different series shown on Australian TV in the past, French and Saunders and Murder Most Horrid immediately come to mind

• 2 weeks later...

An update....I have received a more 'detailed' response from Flybuys!!!

The decision to chose Dawn French as the ‘face’ of the relaunch was made by the Coles Marketing Department. She was selected to appear in the campaign as it was felt she was an appropriate fit to the new program.

If you have any further questions, you could contact www.coles.com.au and they may be able to assist with this enquiry in more detail.

Regards,

The flybuys team