I just read a worrying article regarding immigration!

Guest ali

After reading this article on Adelaidenow.com and reading the comments posted on facebook I got a bit worried.

Yes, the comments were a mix of with and against. But the againsts, they simply sounded like neo nazis! I never felt out of place in London. Never had racism issues. Aw yes, one of my cousins did but thats about it. I don't about the rest of England, but in London I felt at home (and Glasgow for that matter)

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/the-tide-of-public-opinion-is-turning-against-immigration/story-e6frea8c-1226363049609

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

After reading this article on Adelaidenow.com and reading the comments posted on facebook I got a bit worried.

Yes, the comments were a mix of with and against. But the againsts, they simply sounded like neo nazis! I never felt out of place in London. Never had racism issues. Aw yes, one of my cousins did but thats about it. I don't about the rest of England, but in London I felt at home (and Glasgow for that matter)

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/the-tide-of-public-opinion-is-turning-against-immigration/story-e6frea8c-1226363049609

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

You've got nothing to worry about. Australia is multicultural. Are there racists here? Yes of course, just like there is anywhere else in the world. If that same same story was written in a newspaper in the UK you would have the same responses if not worse from the readers over the issue of immigration. From what I can gather from the media, racial tension in the UK is at an all time high, people are just waiting for things to escalate into anarchy almost. I suppose I'll be able to see for myself when I'm over there next month.

In terms of racial integration, I would honestly much rather be here than the UK at the moment but then again that's easier for me to say because I am white.

I honestly think there are issues here. When I was in defence I was allowed to work on non commonwealth projects as at the time I wasn't a citizen and therefore couldn't get security clearance, but there was not one single person in that company who was Asian, Indian, African, Arabic..etc.

Whilst selling some stuff on Gumtree somebody who I traded some bedroom furniture with, was an Iranian who was electronics engineer, and he couldn't get a job, he was working on a casual basis as a labourer in a factory. Maybe Sydney and Melbourne are more tolerant, but I think Adelaide still has some underlying issues. Where I work now we only have a couple of Indian manager who were appointed by our Indian parent company, not sure if that's because of issues or because it is very clicky here.

Hmmm, I'm honestly not sure if it's any worse here than elsewhere in Australia. I work in a large contact centre and can honestly say there's a huge mix of cultures. Indian, Chinese, Russian, Serbs, Croats - and more than a few poms! Oh, and one or two Aussies! I have taken calls from people moaning about being called up by our colleagues in India, but those calls are pretty few and far between. I truly wouldn't worry too much.

You've got nothing to worry about. Australia is multicultural. Are there racists here? Yes of course, just like there is anywhere else in the world. If that same same story was written in a newspaper in the UK you would have the same responses if not worse from the readers over the issue of immigration. From what I can gather from the media, racial tension in the UK is at an all time high, people are just waiting for things to escalate into anarchy almost. I suppose I'll be able to see for myself when I'm over there next month.

In terms of racial integration, I would honestly much rather be here than the UK at the moment but then again that's easier for me to say because I am white.

Completely true Mick. In Iran we used to have 2 million Afghan asylum seekers. And much more from other neighboring countries i.e. Kuwait and Iraq. Now Iran is a country that is ruled by a regime that has problems with everyone, so there are sanctions, there are economic hardships (more than any Western country or Australia for that matter) and we still get Afghans in. When the government starts devising strategies to keep Afghans out of Iran alot of people raise their voice against it. (Yes, we like any other nation have racists here even though we've been multicultural for thousands of years now, still we're a majority Aryan nation...) Even though Afghans have had their share of hardships over here they still cross the border and move to Iran illegally. I don't hear any complaints from my countrymen here, maybe the government but have heard none from Iranians.

In a very nice suburb around 30 minutes outside Tehran when the schools close Afghan children outnumber Iranian children at least 5 to 1. I had a project there 3 months ago and was very happy to see them all getting along with each other.

I don't know what I'm babbling about here. sorry. I've never been stopped in a western nation because my skin color is white as well. But who knows...

Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN.

The only question asked was:- "Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food

shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a huge failure because of the following:

1. In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

2. In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

3. In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

4. In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

5. In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

6. In South Africa they didn't know what "please" meant.

7. In the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

8. In New Zealand and Australia, they hung up as soon as they heard an

Indian accent

I picked this up from the comments posted on the above article.:biglaugh: And I like it because its covering almost everyone

I have also been following this.

Despite the reports from this survey there will be record numbers of migrants arriving in Australia next year...levels not seen since the 1960's.

There are also 50,000 Kiwi's arriving every year which I am sure there would be some spirited opinion on! (light hearted though).

Australia has not escaped the fallout from the global financial mess and the economy is two speed...a boom in mining but a slow down in retail and manufacturing.

Despite the poll you can be assured that Australians are welcoming and friendly...their opinion is that (apart from the indiginous people) "all Australians are migrants". With a massive land mass but a concentration of people in the coastal belt they do have a genuine fear of "a large Australia" with a 50 million population.

If you add to this the economic issues...rising prices of utility bills, carbon taxes and political uncertainty the opinion comes through of a people that would like to maintain their lifestyle and not surrender it to a growing population.

My OH asked me to write a final comment...he's British but lived in South africa for many years...despite living and almost dying there he feels that being an outsider from the UK resulted in him never being accepted by locals there whereas it's different here as he feels totally accepted by his Australian friends and colleagues.

Tamara

It appears to me that this is an issue more about racism than immigration. It skirts over the issue of skilled migration and focuses on asylum seekers. Sadly, I imagine the prevaling attitudes here would be similar if there was a poll done by the daily Mail in the UK.

Guest Guest75

Don't worry too much about this subject Ali.

It is sensationalism to a certain degree.

The subject of "Boat People" is way different to racism here though.

Many sides to all of this.

The majority of the population here are multicultural minded but certainly do not want this county to accept every dependent waif and stray in the world.

Refugees and freeloaders are not particularly welcome here. The economy here is not too bad and we want to protect it.

Anyone with skills /investment potential - welcome!!!

It was tough for us to get in here 12 years ago, made us really appreciate the country and the process.

We see it through immigrants eyes.

There will always be blatant racists - anywhere in the world.

This place is better than most.

Interesting to talk to you the other night when you showed me the "Castle" - opened my eyes about a different country..

After a while you start using the grey thing between your ears that I call a filter and ignore certain things :wink:

We have only been here 6 months, so perhaps it is too soon for me to comment. We are a mixed race family from the UK - my husband has Jamaican heritage. Before arriving here we lived in Scotland, and I would say that my husband felt that he came across more racism for being English over there, than for being black over here. So far, we have felt welcomed and race has not been an issue.

Don't worry too much about this subject Ali.

It is sensationalism to a certain degree.

The subject of "Boat People" is way different to racism here though.

Many sides to all of this.

The majority of the population here are multicultural minded but certainly do not want this county to accept every dependent waif and stray in the world.

Refugees and freeloaders are not particularly welcome here. The economy here is not too bad and we want to protect it.

Anyone with skills /investment potential - welcome!!!

It was tough for us to get in here 12 years ago, made us really appreciate the country and the process.

We see it through immigrants eyes.

There will always be blatant racists - anywhere in the world.

This place is better than most.

Interesting to talk to you the other night when you showed me the "Castle" - opened my eyes about a different country..

After a while you start using the grey thing between your ears that I call a filter and ignore certain things :wink:

Yes you're right Tyke. And good advice about using 'the grey thing between me ears' :biglaugh: In today's world it comes real handy. :wink:

We have only been here 6 months, so perhaps it is too soon for me to comment. We are a mixed race family from the UK - my husband has Jamaican heritage. Before arriving here we lived in Scotland, and I would say that my husband felt that he came across more racism for being English over there, than for being black over here. So far, we have felt welcomed and race has not been an issue.

I wish you and your husband all the luck in the world. And I'm very happy to you feel this way about your new home.

Cheers:smile:

Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN.

The only question asked was:- "Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food

shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a huge failure because of the following:

1. In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

2. In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

3. In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

4. In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

5. In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

6. In South Africa they didn't know what "please" meant.

7. In the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

8. In New Zealand and Australia, they hung up as soon as they heard an

Indian accent

I picked this up from the comments posted on the above article.:biglaugh: And I like it because its covering almost everyone

That's funny! I may have to steal this and put it on my FB page...

Guest smit
Theres no racism in australia, but there is if you arrive as a illegal boatie..

stevo

Now that is so untrue.........theres racism in every country you go to ,I would say more so here than UK, it just depends on how susceptible you are to it and how you deal with it. Its the aussie way to banter and take the piss, its up to you if you decide how racist it is or racist at all. Ive found if you give back whats given in a humorous way , your soon be having a pint with em!!

:wink:

Guest Guest5035
Now that is so untrue.........theres racism in every country you go to ,I would say more so here than UK, it just depends on how susceptible you are to it and how you deal with it. Its the aussie way to banter and take the piss, its up to you if you decide how racist it is or racist at all. Ive found if you give back whats given in a humorous way , your soon be having a pint with em!!

:wink:

exactly...exactly...my round..and in the pub you'll get the truth what real people think about abdullahs and their boats..

stevo

Guest stephensteve

Hi Guys,

we have lived in Noosa for a few months, we found the people were much nastier towards outsiders....call it racism or bigotry or xenophobia or ignorance..

its nicer in S.A..!!!

• 1 month later...

The problem with the boat people is that they are not genuine Asylum seekers - to label them as such is to tarnish the meaning of what an asylum seeker is. These people are nothing more than economic migrants looking for a better life. You cannot really blame them for trying when there are pursuasive forces that convince these people to part with their money for the boat journey to Australia and a promise of a better life.

I read today that the opposition was talking about increasing the number of asylum seeekers Australia takes in. This is a bad move in my opinion as it will just increase the numbers trying to get to Australia illegally. Australia should remove itself from the obligation to accept asylum seekers and refuse to take any more. If they don't then it will put pressure on other countries like Indonesia which have become staging posts for prospective boat people and send mixed messages to prospective illegals.

I don't know if it is a coincidence that the same organisations that try to 'force' western governments to 'take in' these so called 'asylum seekers' are the same kinds of people that are the 'champions' of commerce and are more than happy to see the work conditions and right of the local work force eroded by people that have no idea of what their rights are. All in the name of free commerce of course.

It is better to be harsh and clear: that if you come here illegally you will be refused entry and immediately deported, than to be sending out mixed messages.

Edited by jove

The problem with the boat people is that they are not genuine Asylum seekers - to label them as such is to tarnish the meaning of what an asylum seeker is. These people are nothing more than economic migrants looking for a better life.

Thank you - it's a point I also made recently on another thread. It's a pity the two terms get used interchangeably when they're very different things.

Jim

Thank you - it's a point I also made recently on another thread. It's a pity the two terms get used interchangeably when they're very different things.

Jim

Can't agree enough with this. If someone was a genuine asylum Seeker then arriving at the first safe country is all you would want to do, the UN will then re-distribute proportionally to nations which adopt to this charter, these people want to come here for economic reasons, just like they do into the UK too. They aren't wanted, they really aren't needed and they should be returned. If we did this enough, it would stop / slow them down trying and risking their lives.

Guest stephensteve

I wonder if people should stay in there own countries and defend their freedom.

In the past, we have had to endure negative forces in the U.K. and we have fought against them.

The U.K. is a great place to live as is Australia. Thanks to those who fought the enemy.

We have to make sure we are not allowing negative forces into our Countries, before we know it , we will be told how to run our Countries by the people who can't run their own...!!!