Not been here long and not feeling 'it' anyone else not overly happy from sapol?

Guest usure

Guest Guest75
moved to returning, sorry

Little bit lost with your post - but if you have not been here long please give it time. It's winter here now for a start.

Like tyke said give it time, wait til spring/summer. Get out and see s.a. Even in winter it's beautiful.

If your by yourself isn't there any singles at work you can make friends with, learn to surf there are lesson going on all the time (go surf.com.au), join some clubs you will soon make friends.

Lisa

Guest ladyarkles

Sorry about the confusion.

The first post originally read the same as the second post.

First post was moved by mods to more relevant forum than its original destination, but was then retrospectively edited by member.

Second post was then made (once again in other, less relevant, forum), this has now been added to original thread for sake of continuity.

Rachel

Guest Guest75
Sorry about the confusion.

The first post originally read the same as the second post.

First post was moved by mods to more relevant forum than its original destination, but was then retrospectively edited by member.

Second post was then made (once again in other, less relevant, forum), this has now been added to original thread for sake of continuity.

Rachel

I'm even more confused now!!!! :biglaugh:

Guest ladyarkles
I'm even more confused now!!!! :biglaugh:

Me too!

LOL

Trying to tidy up things sometimes makes it worse, but I wanted to make sure that Usure's original post was in the correct forum in an unedited version.

Now I am off for a lie down in a dark room.

Guest usure

Mmm now im confused. Supposed to be in returning to uk section but keeps appearing here. The it is the wow factor i was sold when deciding to come here. It just isnt the place i expected and im wondering iif anyone else felt the same, thats all. Nothing more.

I have to say even as a great supporter of Adelaide, I wouldn't dream of suggesting it had any sort of Wow Factor! Did you do much research before coming here? I've said before that it's not a bright lights, party city, but it does have some quiet charms that grow on you over time. Make yourself get out and about - head for Central Market on a Friday night, go to a footie game, book yourself on a winery tour or a long weekend in the Clare Valley, grab a bike and cycle along the Torrens either into the hills or down to the beach... when you live in a place, it's not about thrills and excitement, more like safety and contentment, which you have to find within yourself I think rather than in your surroundings so much.

Mmm now im confused. Supposed to be in returning to uk section but keeps appearing here. The it is the wow factor i was sold when deciding to come here. It just isnt the place i expected and im wondering iif anyone else felt the same, thats all. Nothing more.

We reccied here a couple of years ago, and had that same expectation. We checked out Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide, and at no time did we feel wowed. However, we weighed up life here for the happiness, quality of life and safety for our children, and compared that to their long term future in the UK.

In our opinion, Australia wins hands down. However, we both feel that we would not of chosen Adelaide if we did not have children. It definetly isin't for everyone and I think you have to make such big decisions over a lengthy time period. Eg. allow yourself time to settle into life here before deciding to go elsewhere.

Hope that helps a little.

Paul

It was felt better suited to a different section, so mods moved it. That was all. The returning to UK section is more aimed for people planning to return. Your OP was more about finding it hard to settle and so we felt it was better in another section was all.

It will still be read by people. You've edited your own post out and I can't put the original text back in ;)

I don't know about wow factor. In the job respect or the location?

Adelaide itself isn't 'Wow' to me. But then neither is London, Manchester or Plymouth in the UK. Paris = wow, Amsterdam = wow, New York = Wow. Country wise, scenery, climate etc, Aus has lots going for it but around Adelaide isn't going to be the lush green like Qld or the reef like you see in all the ads or the stunning outback sunsets. Its not going to have that kind of wow factor. Its a city, its lovely, has some not so great aspects and areas, some great. Its pretty in places, has some lovely buildings and parks and so on, but it doesn't wow me as a city. But it certainly impresses me enough to want to live there.

As for your job.... I don't know about the SAPOL. What were you expecting? Hoping? What have you got? There are a few people on here who have experience in that area so might be able to offer so advice and support. I'd think it would be different again from the UK.

I don't know all your reasons for moving to Aus and choosing Adelaide or SA. Aus is so vast and varies so much that what is ones persons ideal or enjoyable place to live isn't anothers. Some people move states, some more towns or cities, some return to the UK or go overseas elsewhere.

How long have you been in Aus now? Do you have family, friends or anyone else here? Have you made connections socially or taking up any new interests or hobbies? Explored the area a bit?

Its hard to know exactly as people are all different. Perhaps give us a bit more to go on :)

Guest scmercer

I never fell in love with Adelaide as some on here have. I gave it two years and I was waiting for it to happen and it never did. I never felt like it was worth the move. I can't say anything bad about it, it just wasn't a special enough place to keep me in Australia. I do feel I would have enjoyed other places more, but didn't want to take the chance on trying elsewhere with such a young family.

If I wanted to retire somewhere, then Adelaide would be perfect but it just wasn't right at the time.

Guest usure

Thanks and sorry to confuse etc. Just a bit confused myself :(

I suppose i wondered if any others felt the same about it as fellow colleagues are raving about their new life here and i dont want to be the one to say im not feeling the same way.

Its the place, its just no what i expected. The job well i was kind of prepared so thats fine but not sure it was worth the move. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt like this when they arrived as not that long in but feel like turning straight back again. Researching on the net is all well and good but getting here well it just aint like the pictures you see..

Unsure

Like mrs Tike and AJford said give it some time as you must have arrived in the autumn, heading for the winter. I haven't lived in Oz since 98 and had no comitments at the time, but I have emigrated to the UK to stay together with my now wife as my home country wasn't what she could cope with due to the lingo. I can say that I am not too happy here even after 11 years but it takes time to to grow into a place.

In my fist four years I did nothing else then either work for the boss or for myself totalling about 80 to 90 hours a week as an escape valve, since found out that is wrong, dind't improve anything other then ending up with a nice house and still don't knowing anybody in the village. Took up a hobby locally and that was the silver bullet.

I would say say you are in a new place starting a new life, think of your things that you allways wanted to do but never have done for what ever reason and give it a go locally as a treat to yourself. I think the key is to do something that you like and in the area this will put you in contact with people that have the sae intestest as yourself making it easier to build a network. Realy doesn't matter what the thing is that your fancy embroidery is just a s good for that as sky diving, in fact I thing that embroidery may an easier way to talk to like minded people then sky diving for practical reasons.

Anyway don't give up without a fight, you regret the things that you haven't done more then the things you do wrong.

Hi usure, we are with you to a certain extent. Adelaide is not what we were expecting at all. We did a fair bit of UK research on Aussie citys before we came over and Adelaide seemed to tick our boxes for weather, lifestyle and work. We had been to Sydney, Brisbane and driven between them stopping at several towns, but never visited Adelaide. We were not blown away on arrival, and for us I would say the jury is out. I have had a complete worse case nightmare with crossover to Aussie rules for my work, and as such haven't done a days work since arriving. This has had a knock on our lifestyle, we can't really afford to do anything or go anywhere and this has soured our attitude to SA some what. But we are still in a positive mind set, I will get there and when I do, we plan to hit Adelaide and SA general in a big way. Australia is a very big and amazing country, the choice for us is not simply Adelaide or UK. We have not been through all it takes to get here on PR visa to give up. No where is perfect but having come this far, I want us to at least attempt to find a place as close to it as possible. If this means moving interstate then interstate again, so be it. You sound quite down in the dumps, but your here now, there will never be a better time, you should give Adelaide and SA the very best go, but if you find it's just not you and you can finance it, move on, each state is like a separate country and they all feel different. So at the end of my waffle, yes we get where you are coming from, we will give Adelaide another 12-14 months, if no go, we're outta here baby!.

Hey, just want to say, please don't base your thoughts on 'living in Australia' or 'living in Adelaide' on your first few weeks or even months (maybe even the first year?)

It's like starting a new job, school or whatever - the people you hang around with in the first while and lifestyle you lead aren't necessarily indicative of what life would be like here. Also - a major factor I think in the no 'wow factor' is you've arrived in crappy weather - if you arrived in summer, I'm sure you'd be feeling differently. Please give it at least a year before you make any big decisions.

It's funny, when we uproot our lives, we're forced to think 'do I like it here? What do I think of this?' as EVERYTHING is new, whereas I can't say in the UK I thought of my town as wow, but was happy there. I don't think of Adelaide as 'wow' either, but am very happy here. Like somebody else said, Paris is wow to me - Buenos Aires is wow to me - New York is wow to me - but wow is something I look for on a holiday, not day to day.

There are great things about Adelaide and rubbish things about Adelaide, just like most places. Only you will know if it will suit you, but please give it time. You can't compare the initial few months as an expat settling in to general life in a place you've been for years.

Try and involve yourself in everything, say yes to every invite, try some things you've never done before (surfing, a winery tour, camping) - wait for the summer, explore all the great things about SA and give it a real chance. Try not to worry - we've all thought similar things.