insects

Guest susanmary38

Guest susanmary38

Hi all

Sue is just a bit curious, she doesn't mind spiders n snakes, but hates cock roaches, can anybody tell Sue if there is a problem in Adelaide with roaches

LOL

concerned hubby:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cock Roaches are mainly found up Queensland way and they are not such of a menace here in S.A as they are there.

You'll find our little beauties are Ants, especially Sugar Ants (tiny black ants) which will invade your cupboards and get into everything if you haven't put a secure lid on it.

Judi x

Guest Guest75

It will depend where you live as well - the more rural - the more insects.

Lots of Cockroaches are just happy to be in the garden/under logs.

Seen some beauts in the land behind us when collecting firewood.:D

They don't hurt though,just maje you jump when they scuttle out.

I'm too busy keeping an eye out for spiders and snakes.

Guest susanmary38

Thanks for the response, really put Sue's mind at rest but I told her the cock roaches in Adelaide cause less trouble than the big ones we have here in west yorkshire, don't need to go any further with that one, use your imagination.

How are you guys finding life in OZ.

Dave n Sue ;)

Guest banjo70
Hi

there's a lot of cockroaches scurrying around the pavements at night in the City, especially after it's been raining. :wideeyed:

And I just thought it was the drunks after being chucked out of the pub. :embarrassed:

Guest deborah

There was a programme on the other night on ITVI 3 I think called 'Deadly down under' which was mainly about snakes,spiders, box jelly fish. All seemed to be more of a problem in the east.

Am i right in thinking that the funnel web spider is rare in south Australia?

It was very intersting and put things into perspective in that there are dangerous creatures out there and you need to be sensible and know what to look for etc.

Guest Guest75
There was a programme on the other night on ITVI 3 I think called 'Deadly down under' which was mainly about snakes,spiders, box jelly fish. All seemed to be more of a problem in the east.

It was very intersting and put things into perspective in that there are dangerous creatures out there and you need to be sensible and know what to look for etc.

The funnel web is very rare in SA,never seen one on the land here.

There is a spider that does dig a burrow I see often but they are very shy and not too big.

Guest Rob and Clare

We get the Red back spider here, if you get an outside shed, then they'll love the dark corners or under the rims of your wheelie bin, they are the most common deadly one, but really only deadly to the old or young. The truth is as well they are very timid and will run rather than bite..

The scary one is the huntsman, they're massive, yet harmless, in fact they get all the other ones for you, so handy to have in the garden.

Off the coast there is always the risk of Great White sharks, in our first summer here 2 people died from attacks. Not trying to be scary, but if you swim in the safe areas and the helicopters are flying over head you are perfectly safe...

Guest deborah
We get the Red back spider here, if you get an outside shed, then they'll love the dark corners or under the rims of your wheelie bin, they are the most common deadly one, but really only deadly to the old or young. The truth is as well they are very timid and will run rather than bite..

The scary one is the huntsman, they're massive, yet harmless, in fact they get all the other ones for you, so handy to have in the garden.

Off the coast there is always the risk of Great White sharks, in our first summer here 2 people died from attacks. Not trying to be scary, but if you swim in the safe areas and the helicopters are flying over head you are perfectly safe...

The great white often mistakes surfers for seals they are so misunderstood yet fascinating.

What do the helicopters do are they on shark patrol?