What have you done today to get yourself to Aus?

snifter

I'm borrowing this idea from Poms In Oz :idea: Its been a long standing thread over there for all the people waiting to move to Aus or in the process of migrating.

It can seem a long time for many of us, from when we take that first step and think about migrating to when it actually happens. The wheels turn slowly and for weeks, months it can seem like nothing is being achieved. So, to help motivate ourselves the following question is being asked :biggrin:

What have you done today to get yourself to OZ?

It doesn't matter how small or trivial the task was just let us know what you have done, post a pic or two for further evidence if you'd like yes.gif

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was selling off some of the big toys that our son no longer really uses or has outgrown. I advertised them on Gumtree and within 24 hours they were sold! Result :jiggy: Now just to prevent more clutter and toys replacing them :rolleyes:

This coming week I'm going to add some more evidence to my file for my visa. So when it comes time to actually submit I'll have a whole bundle good to go.

I have received my initial registration and currently studying for my English test due on the 28th July, im not so concerned about the speaking test but the others are niggling me abit as i do know other Brits who have not scored so well. Just really getting documents ready for the skills assessment then will decide which visa to go for. THATS WHAT IVE DONT TODAY TO GET US TO AUS XXX:jiggy:

Guest AngPhil

The suitcases I bought, exact hand luggage size for Quantas, have arrived today. We are hoping to get all our stop over clothes in them. We have a new one each. :biggrin:

I have also been vacuum packing. Thanks for the tips about silica and bounce tumble drying sheets.

27 days until we fly! :wacko:

Guest Shmaggle

hmmm...can I add summat I did at the weekend...took academic level ielts! Have to beat hubby, took his 3 weeks ago, he got overall 9.....

Ack I can't wait to be able to get to the planning stage where I can actually *do* stuff. Like book the removal company, book flights and so on.

I keep going over things in my head, have a list on my computer I keep adding stuff to when it crops up or I think about it and then when the time comes I'll have it all to refer to.

I am also slowing working through and measuring all our furniture for shipping so I can be on top of the quotes for shipping space :biggrin:

Guest AngPhil

Redirected our mail to my parents today and I am going to clean my car and take photos ready to put on Autotrader.

We are trying to do a couple of things a day :)

Redirected our mail to my parents today and I am going to clean my car and take photos ready to put on Autotrader.

We are trying to do a couple of things a day :)

Its surprising how many things there are to do in the run up. Something like selling a car means cleaning it, pics, paperwork and so on. And then viewings and all that. Hope it shifts quickly for you.

Our current plan is to use our car right up till we move and then leave it with my father to sell. We purposely didn't buy a new one 18 months ago as we knew we'd be moving and its getting a bit old now but still a good car. It won't be worth the hassle to try to sell before we go and I don't want to be without a car in the final few weeks, although I suppose we could hire one if it came to it.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd wake this thread up and see if some of our newer forum arrivals might like to join in :biggrin:

Simple to take part, nice to see what people are up to even if something small like having a sort out of winter clothes or under the kitchen sink.

My thing today (well it was yesterday but couldn't find the thread then :wideeyed: ) was I sold my lovely dining table. Got picked up last night and is in its new home by now.

Loved it, didn't want to part with it but it really won't fit most houses once we are moved over and hubby has promised I can choose a new one when we are ready.

O and did some filing.

And booked our flights this Saturday gone! Excited :jiggy:

Anyone else?

Well today had an interview for a job in Albury, NSW @ the Australian High Commission.

Shall be calling into the estate agents on the way home to see if we can talk to the buyers direct.

Oh! And on the weekend cleaned golf and cricket equipment!

Was this one of the jobs you are talking about the other day? good luck with it.

And ack, you've just reminded me about the cricket stuff. I need to dig out hubbys old cricket bag and sift through. He stopped playing last season and I don't think he'll play again on a regular basis so we probably won't ship his cricket gear back. Saves the cleaning.

No way will he leave his golf clubs behind though. He can't wait to play once he gets back.

Yes it was one of those jobs.

Should hopefully be hearing about a few more in the next couple of weeks.

I was going to retire from cricket but my lads want me to carry on!!!

It's all go at the moment and I have to get in touch with the Agencies so they can get me a job..lol

Guest sithewindows

Just take your time on the tests and remember that for most of the others, English is not their first language. Good luck.

I have received my initial registration and currently studying for my English test due on the 28th July, im not so concerned about the speaking test but the others are niggling me abit as i do know other Brits who have not scored so well. Just really getting documents ready for the skills assessment then will decide which visa to go for. THATS WHAT IVE DONT TODAY TO GET US TO AUS XXX:jiggy:

Currently packing for the movecube which arrives next friday! Tonight's jobs are to clean the shoes, tools and bikes. Also sold both our cars at the weekend and arranged with the buyers that they will be able to take them just before we fly which is helpful.

Currently packing for the movecube which arrives next friday! Tonight's jobs are to clean the shoes, tools and bikes. Also sold both our cars at the weekend and arranged with the buyers that they will be able to take them just before we fly which is helpful.

That's great news re the cars a huge weight off your mind

Yes definitely another thing off the list. The house sale completes in 2 weeks (Still keeping the fingers crossed though) and then I feel the last 3 weeks will just fly by then.

Everything really has fallen in to place, I'm sure the house sale will be fine but I know what you mean, until those contracts are signed you will always have doubts.