Channel Seven, Sunday Night

Leyland CJ

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/article/-/14207625/ping-pong-poms/

The Media at it's best (!).

Personally, I thought it was a load of toot, but what I will say is this - Corporate Australia has a bad habit of not recognising people's overseas experience and rewarding accordingly, from either migrants or Aussies. There are some Aussies who have been overseas (e.g. chefs), come back and the attitude has been "yes, that's really nice, but what exactly did you do when you were over there ?" because it's not "visible".

They said "I might as well have stayed at home, done the same work here and the same years, instead of trying to bust my gut to get ahead - because it counted for nothing, and if I had stayed here, I would have been promoted faster".

Got to agree, that was very much the attitude I got both times from UK and Aus when I was trying to get a job - when I came 1) back from continental Europe to UK and then 2) migrated to Australia from UK.

Guest Guest5035

that Lancastrians whinge counter clocked up a few, funny how they didn't like it here but took home the certificate..but the state goverments are telling the poms all the good things, but no bad things..

stevo

Can't stand that Wilkinson (I mean Fitzsimmons) bloke ........ seen him report on things before and he never quite gets it right.

Personally it pisses me off big time, that people take out Aussie citizenship and then bugger off having had their 'two year adventure'. If that's what they want then why not just take a two year sabbatical and go somewhere else, travel the world and experience something truly different. Migration visas are for people who WANT TO SETTLE in Australia ............ PERMANENTLY. The people who get a visa just for the 'two year adventure' are taking the opportunity away from people who really do want to STAY here

​AND WHERE WAS MY BLOODY BRASS BAND?????????????

Guest moonraker1959

Interesting show!Makes a nice change from Wanted Down Under!lol I'm wondering though,do you think shows like WDU do people any favours?My parents emigrated with just a two page brochure,that was it!They really did'nt know what to expect and maybe....thats the best way to go!

That's exactly what I said to my missus - they never had anything like that at the airport when I landed !

I could have sworn though, that I have seen bits of this rehashed from somewhere else....I distinctly remember seeing the Leo Sayer bit previously, although I could be wrong (but I wouldn't put it past anyone. Mediawatch on the ABC has opened my eyes).

Got to agree WizzyWozza, there is something ethically wrong about what they did re: Citizenship. I say "If you aren't prepared to stay here, then do everyone a favour and don't take out a passport" because it is an empty gesture. It's not like your "original" passport, where, if you really HAD to go home because it had all fallen down here and/or your citizenship got revoked for whatever reason, then fair enough, but are they really likely to come back for "one more try" ? I don't think so. You give it a go and you give it your all, or you don't bother. If you fail, fair enough, but don't be a fence-sitter.

I hate to say it, but I think that some people coming here are probably a bit spoiled and did so "half heartedly" - some of us didn't (and don't) have the luxury of considering "going back home". When I came here, it was all or nothing - I staked everything I had (which was not a lot) on coming here and it was a battle to stay and a battle to survive in the early years. Now that I am here and have a house, have Citizenship and a family on the way, it is down to ME to make it work.

All this talk about "oh, it's too expensive" - no, you cut your cloth accordingly, and if you can't get something, you work harder and you save or find a way to earn what you want. The 1/4 acre block with a pool, verandah, deck, nice car etc. is earned over time. I came here and spent the first five years on a temporary visa. I spent the first ten years in rental accommodation because my income wasn't enough to get a house. In short, I worked blooming hard to get where I am and I still don't have the above - but one day, I will, and it will be worth every cent.

All this talk of "no one ever accepted us as being Aussies" - I say, "have you really tried ? Have you joined community groups like Lions or Rotary, and actually given back to the country as a volunteer, and tried to integrate ?" I have, which I believe gives me just as much, if not more right, to proudly call myself Australian, because by God, I have earned it. That's the line I take when anyone dares tell me "You're not Australian because you weren't born here". The joke is, I am more "Aussie" than some people I know, because I was told the Australian Way is "helping your mate out when he's in trouble" and "you give back to the community". PIA Forums are one way that I do that, another is that I volunteer on NFP boards. One Christmas I was even handing out breakfast to the homeless...guys who I had never met before.

For some migrants, when they landed in Australia, they openly cried, just because "they had made it". Where they came from was much worse, and I personally know African refugees who would NEVER ever consider going home, because they say "We feel safe here, we can go to church and no one will kill you. We have plenty of food to eat and clean water to drink. The Police are not connected to the Army, and you can disagree with the Prime Minister without fear of being arrested or tortured".

I guess that last sentiment sums it up perfectly.

Guest Helchops

I've just watched it and find it totally offensive and it makes me embarrassed to be a brit at times.

We have chopped in everything we have to get to Australia and gone without throughout the application process, sold/closed two profitable booming businesses, and I've even taken distance learning courses in my profession to get the same qualifications as an Australian would have rather than just turning up with my UK certificates and expecting an Australian to have any appreciation for what was involved in that qualification (how could they know?).

We fully intend on digging our heels in, and paying back Australia for the opportunity they have given my family and I already feel a deep appreciation for the fact that we were granted a Visa. Even if I don't love it (which I seriously doubt will be the case) my intention is to pay my way and to give something back to South Australia in particular before I upped sticks and left.

I find the whole Citizenship thing absolutely offensive to Australians, and, if I am lucky enough to be granted it I really would pledge my allegiance and not give the country the middle finger.

You see, the way I see it, is that I had a 1% chance of being born in the UK and I was very lucky to be born in a first-world country such as this...but now I've been given an opportunity to push that 1% even further and live in the country that I've always wanted to reside. We feel like we've won the lottery - and I'm not going to be ungrateful and piss all over that generosity.

Guest Wes_Nicky

The first family on that show remind me of the stereotypical British family who go on a package holiday to sit in an English themed pub eating a Sunday roast and watching Emmerdale. If you are visiting or especially emigrating to any country then you embrace their culture and lifestyle not the other way around.

I thought the segment was exactly what I expected, unfortunately.

I reckon we will get ribbed about it by mates....luckily we have a sense of humour /don't care so it'll be cool. Hopefully lol!

The citizenship thing? I personally took my pledge very seriously and am totally proud to be an Australian citizen rather than a British citizen. However, by taking citizenship the two kids will be able to come back when they are a bit older. Which, I think, is wonderful because I didn't get the feeling that either child was keen on going to the UK - and as a huge proportion of their lives have been spent here, who could blame them?

All in all, a stupid item that has the potential to wind Australians up and support the age-old stereotype of the whinging pom. Yay! :rolleyes:

Guest Barney Rubble

Charles Wooley (i think) did a similar show years ago on 60 Minutes, sadly i missed tonights show but seriously FFS, this is glorified journalism at it's worst, they are digging up old stories for the sake of it.

Wes_Nicky got it right (on their first post :notworthy:) well done.

If you want 'comfort food' look for the golden arches of McDonalds, if you want culture and experience then try the local stuff.

Yes i miss the English pubs but there are others that are just as good, only thing is i am greatfull that i don't live too near one or i'd be late home most nights.

Still not nationlised and proud of my heratige but love Australia too. :wubclub:

The first family on that show remind me of the stereotypical British family who go on a package holiday to sit in an English themed pub eating a Sunday roast and watching Emmerdale. If you are visiting or especially emigrating to any country then you embrace their culture and lifestyle not the other way around.

I agree, I reckon they should have moved to Benidorm!!!

Guest chooklady

I couldn't stand that first family with the whinge meter......and also, of course it's expensive you're in Sydney! Want a quarter acre and a pool, should have picked SA. It does take a lot of time and effort and heartache to establish yourself in another country. I think these people are too impatient.

I completely get the sense of not belonging and feeling displaced and sometimes it doesn't matter how much effort you make you can't shift that feeling. The more i watch these things and read about pin pong poms the more I just think it's quite black and white.

2 types of people, winter, cosy pub people and then beach, summer, sporty people...just need to be in the right country.

I feel a bit guilty about the citizenshaip thing. I was there 6 1/2 years, got my citizenship last year and came back to the UK 7 weeks ago. I wasn't quite happy at the time of Citizenship but I hadn't bought a plane ticket or anything. I see it more as a recognition of my time in Adelaide and an achievement...yes I stayed there that long and worked as a social worker and contributed to Australia. I also have a connection and loyalty to Australia now.

Anyhow....just my thoughts.

The Facebook page has attracted a lot of comments already ! :)http://www.facebook.com/7sundaynight

I had my two-bits worth of a say on the facebook page. You can't judge people like that. Life's about giving it a go. They tried, didn't like it and moved back. On some of the comments people were saying strip them of Australian citizenship. I have to ask why! They paid the Australian government money to emigrate. Their talents, health and criminal back grounds (police check) were assessed. So in my opinion nobody has the right to strip them of anything. Yeah, they whinge (the family), I mean come on, sausages?

And I believe that bad people and good people exist everywhere. In the UK, Australia, Middle East, Europe, Americas, Asia...everywhere. So you can't judge a race by producing a one sided video of a handful! No sir.

Cheers:smile:

Ali