Who moved to Adelaide without visiting

Guest lou&steve

Guest lou&steve

sorry if this question has been asked before, but im a newbie and i'll blame it on that hehe!

Who moved to Adelaide without ever being to Australia before? We are thinking about doing this, the reason being is we dont have a massive amount of money and we could use the money we would have spent on a reccie for starting up. I just want to hear some stories (good / bad) of people that have done this, as i know my parents and friends will think we are mad, but we really want to do as much research as poss and make a go of it..if it doesnt work out then we'll move on.

Please let me know of what you think

Thanks Louise

Guest graandjac

Hi Louise, we were planing to go until i stumbled across the fact that of aprox 100 people a day that left to go to oz last year only 20 had paid a visit before 80 were going blind, also a friend is waiting for his visa and he had done a reccie, but on his return after spending 3000 on the trip, all it did was confirm his thoughts.

That is was the move for them, it is what you think,and oz does exactly what it says on the tin, so he wishes he had saved his money so in view of this we hope to go blind with the help of the internet and this very helpfull and friendly site there is nothing you cant find out. Just getting TRA together Gra, Jac Holly and Owen

Guest happy-jools

We havn't been to Adelaide or anywhere near it. Can't wait to go. Dont plan on doing a reckie - need all the money we can to start up when we get there (hey I sound confident WHEN we get there) Fingers crossed.

May see you there too.

Guest jen&ian

Hi,

We are going to Adelaide and indeed to Australia for the first time when we make the big move in October. Like the rest of you we need to save every penny for when we set up home there. So in short you're not mad- unless we all are too 8) .

Jen :D

Guest dglamoore

Hi

We fly out 4 weeks tomorrow and have never been to OZ let alone Adelaide. On the plus side we have no false expectations from holidays there :lol:

It is a big adventure moving half way round the world so just one more bit of excitement to add to it all 8)

Lisa

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi there

We did and have here been four months and loving it!We had never been to any part of Oz, we couldn't afford to come for a reccie!

Good luck :)

Guest RandC

Hi, we haven't done a reccie either - but our eldest son went on a hockey tour and before he went, he wasn't keen on the idea. He totally fell in love with Oz and we have 2 other sets of friends who have made the move to Perth and Melbourne and they both love it and wish they'd done it years ago! Also with 4 kids :roll: we couldn't afford to take them all and my mum is too old to look after them. As it is, eldest doesn't want to go. I am going to tell my family today about our move over a family dinner (hopefully) keep chickening out - wish me luck (stiff G&T or Ozzie wine first methinks)

Cari x :)

waiting for skills assessment from TRB

Guest Sue & Ash

we probably won't be going before - i only have to sell it to oh now :lol:

but i figure what could you actually gather in 3 weeks in holiday mood?!

and as all the others i rather spend that money on something to settle down nicely :) (of if we really really don't like it .. which i doubt! - use it on coming back?!)

good luck

Susi

Guest Django

Furthest south I've ever been is Ibiza :lol: :lol: :lol:

We will go out blindish. As Jools says we need all our money to get there. It makes it more of an adventure and if we don't go now we never will. Don't want to look back in ten years time saying 'What if?' At the end of the day we can always come back.............................yeah right!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest ali@51

Hi we are also going on the basis of internet research and hoping for the best we mentioned our move to an aquqintance the other day and he knew someone whohad made the move and loved it. Hope telling the family went ok. We told ours and my mother in law said they wouldnt be coming out to see us,emigrating has even more attractions now. Best of luck.

ali

morgan

megan(7)

joey(5)

pippa(18m)

We're planning a reccie about May/June time.

My wife wants a confidence check on the big decision and i'm going to be arranging job interviews.

I have no concerns about anything other than work, so if i can get a job before we go all the better. We also have family in Darwin i'd like to visit.

All that said we originally planned to go without visiting first. And if for some reason we don't make it at least we've experienced an Australia.

Guest Guest75
We're planning a reccie about May/June time.

My wife wants a confidence check on the big decision and i'm going to be arranging job interviews.

I have no concerns about anything other than work, so if i can get a job before we go all the better. We also have family in Darwin i'd like to visit.

All that said we originally planned to go without visiting first. And if for some reason we don't make it at least we've experienced an Australia.

I must admit that I do lean towards reccie trips.

It is a huge decision and will affect the rest of your life.

A good idea if one partner is unsure (that was me - loved it from the first moment though!)

Each to their own though.I suppose that if you come without a reccie it makes you even more determined.

Visiting the family in Darwin will give you an idea of other cities and give you a much better perspective.

We will be popping up there in the near future as we have an investment property there.

Guest Django
I must admit that I do lean towards reccie trips.

It is a huge decision and will affect the rest of your life.

Couldn't agree more. In our case if we did a 'reccie' it would financially put back our big move quite a few years. If we had the money we would be popping over for a 'gander' tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Flights booked, accomodation with relies sorted, just a Hire Car and ETA go set now.

Decided to do our reccie although it will be just me going over, it wouldn't be much fun for my wife when i'm job hunting, and the weather won't be so great at the end of May.

I fly out on the 20th May for 2 weeks of job hunting and checking out the suburbs and just getting a feel of the Aussie way of life.

Will have my trusty camcorder to bring the experience home to show the family.

The excitement is building, just one more baby step closer to emmigrating.

Paul.

Guest Kath_and_Ian
We told ours and my mother in law said they wouldnt be coming out to see us,emigrating has even more attractions now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Kath_and_Ian

On a serious note, we did go on a recce last year, and it was quite helpful. We spent a week in Adelaide, and at first were quite underwhelmed. It wasn't really what we had expected, and Rundle Mall on a Sunday seemed a bit seedy. We then went to Perth for a few days, and fell in love with it straight away. The light, the big sky, the city skyline, King's Park all looked perfect. Then we looked at areas where we could afford to live, and the love went a bit sour. We didn't want to be living miles out of town on a faceless new estate built on top of desert sand, and 1000s of miles from anywhere else. On coming back to Adelaide, we started to appreciate it more; the friendliness, the relaxed attitude, the standard of housing. After changing our minds two or three times we finally settled on Adelaide (well, South Australia). Since making this decision I've found a job, somewhere to live, and have spoken to countless people on the phone. Without fail, people have gone out of their way to help me, and have shown a degree of help which I would love to think my fellow Brits would show in return, but doubt it. I know SA is not a heaven on earth, and has its problems, but at least I can picture where we'll be, and can imagine us going to the supermarket and the library, and all those everyday things.

Having said that, it did cost a fair bit!

[

Me and sarn are not going to do a reccie. I can see why people do but we feel that its to big an area to fully explore and make decisions in the space of 2/3 weeks.

Also this makes bigger adventure going in with eyes wide shut :lol: