11 sleeps till we go home..

Guest weelou

Guest weelou

Well I hated the fact that I booked the tickets home because my eldest 2 kids aren't settling here in Adelaide but now we've 11 sleeps to go am all excited, I can't believe it haha. I'm so looking forward to going back to Scotland, we land on the Sat my hubby has a job to start on the monday, I've got an interview at our local college the same day and got bank work at my old job, Kids will go bk to school on the thursday to there schools they all left and I will have happy kids again...woohoo. It's all falling into place for us all and we were thinking is it meant to be because of all this...mmmm makes you wonder. Av had a great time in Adelaide and meet some lovely people but for us as a family it wasn't to be and I wish all people wherever you are in the world, here, thinking of coming or booked flights waiting to come all the very best for your future and I hope yous all live the dream.

I can't wait to see my best friends and live the life I thought I wanted away from as the grass sometimes isn't greener on the other side and you don't realise what you had till you havn't got it..well thats just my thoughts...:)

Take care all of yous as lifes to short for regrets...x

Guest moonraker1959

Weelou,would just like to wish you the bestest of luck on your return to your homeland.Fab news on the job front,thats half the battle is'nt it?Hopefully the weather will be nice for you too!

Well I hated the fact that I booked the tickets home because my eldest 2 kids aren't settling here in Adelaide but now we've 11 sleeps to go am all excited, I can't believe it haha. I'm so looking forward to going back to Scotland, we land on the Sat my hubby has a job to start on the monday, I've got an interview at our local college the same day and got bank work at my old job, Kids will go bk to school on the thursday to there schools they all left and I will have happy kids again...woohoo. It's all falling into place for us all and we were thinking is it meant to be because of all this...mmmm makes you wonder. Av had a great time in Adelaide and meet some lovely people but for us as a family it wasn't to be and I wish all people wherever you are in the world, here, thinking of coming or booked flights waiting to come all the very best for your future and I hope yous all live the dream.

I can't wait to see my best friends and live the life I thought I wanted away from as the grass sometimes isn't greener on the other side and you don't realise what you had till you havn't got it..well thats just my thoughts...:)

Take care all of yous as lifes to short for regrets...x

hi weelou, 20 sleeps for us!! gd luck with it all, keep in tch if u like:)!! xx,

All the very best to you and your family. I am sure the whole experience has brought you closer together as a family and you'll not be wondering now "what if?"...you came, you saw, you tried, and you realised what mattered most to you in life. Good on you, and thanks for your very positive post.

Take care all of yous as lifes to short for regrets...x[/QUOT

Glad all is woprking out well. I feel emotional reading your post as i miss my family terribly back in the uk and i would return tomorrow but my boys have settled so well and they love it here. Saying that i dont hate it just missing my older children and grandchildren makes it so hard.So good luck to you and your family at least you gave it a go.

Guest weelou

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Yes Diane it has totally brought us closer together as a family and we've no regrets.So looking forward to happy kids again and having the life and social life that they so deserve to have at there age.Well we will just need to work hard for a sunny holiday next year as don't think we are going home to sunshine haha but I so wish everyone all the very best whatever happens in their lives as life is to short for regrets...thanks again Louise

Guest scmercer

Hi Louise

I have been back in the UK for a year this week and we are still happy with the decision to return. Had terrible doubts just before we left and for the first few months back, but I do prefer it here and it is so nice for the children to be around extended family. Job wise things havent gone smoothly and I did mess my career up moving back and forth, but other than that everything is great, even the weather doesn't bother me!!

Good luck, you sound like you have everything sorted. You are right, the grass is not always greener.

Sheila x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Guest9815

Hi weelou,

Have you settled back into life in the UK? its looking like we too are heading back to the UK next March, back to our great life and friends in the uk, I do often wonder why I left it all behind, we have been to Australia 3 times now but I had to experience living here in order to understand if it was for me, sadly its not, and its not because I'm missing people in the UK etc.. I just cant seem to gel with the place, I had a feeling this would happen before we came but we always had that voice in our heads saying what if..so we gave it a go. Many people will say you have to give it 1 or 2 years, I think its different for everyone, all depends on what kind of life you had back in the UK, we also have a 13 year old son so time is against us with his school, he would have to be back in his old school by September next year ready for exams..anyway it will have been a great life experience and I have learnt a lot from it.

We only arrived in August and I thought I would have been able to stick it out for 12 months no matter how much I was missing home..how wrong was I, I do feel very disappointed and flat that its not what we expected.

Guest Paula H
Hi weelou,

Have you settled back into life in the UK? its looking like we too are heading back to the UK next March, back to our great life and friends in the uk, I do often wonder why I left it all behind, we have been to Australia 3 times now but I had to experience living here in order to understand if it was for me, sadly its not, and its not because I'm missing people in the UK etc.. I just cant seem to gel with the place, I had a feeling this would happen before we came but we always had that voice in our heads saying what if..so we gave it a go. Many people will say you have to give it 1 or 2 years, I think its different for everyone, all depends on what kind of life you had back in the UK, we also have a 13 year old son so time is against us with his school, he would have to be back in his old school by September next year ready for exams..anyway it will have been a great life experience and I have learnt a lot from it.

We only arrived in August and I thought I would have been able to stick it out for 12 months no matter how much I was missing home..how wrong was I, I do feel very disappointed and flat that its not what we expected.

Hi

if you don't mind me asking, what has happened

in 4 months that has made you book to return

Guest Guest9815

Not much has happened in the last 4 months to make me want to return, its more a case of how different Australia is to the uk, thinking back we came here for the wrong reasons and I was the driving force behind it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest weelou

Hi Chris we have been back in Scotland now for nearly 5 months and my kids are so happy, they are out all the time with friends, school work going great and I know we have all made the right decition. I took about longer than my hubby and kids to settle back home as I enjoyed Oz but like you I knew it wouldn't have lived in Adelaide all my life. I now have a great job in which I love and my hubby had a job waiting for him when we got home and we are back in our own house. Christmas was great and Newyear was done the scottish way big party with all Family and friends and too much alchol...haha. I know emmigrating is for some people and not for others, and I wish everyone the best off luck wither your just emmigrating, just arrived or living your dream...but for the Walker Clan it was always sunny Scotland...haha Happy Newyear everyone...x

Guest Guest9815

Please can you let me know which shipping company you used to get back? we used Pickfords coming here but I want to get a few quotes to return, so far its working out 40% more to send our stuff back, good old Aus.

Guest weelou

Shipping was alot dearer Chris cost us $7200 to ship back and that was the cheapest quote I got and had to haggle with them, company was called Wridgeways and the guy you'll speak to is called Robert hes really nice and very helpful...I would recommend them as everything home in one piece...haha good luck with your move home Chris if you need anymore info just private message me as am not on site often. Thanks Tamara.

Guest Guest9815
And how do you all feel knowing that your returning?

We are actually all feeling good, I think I have now come to terms with the cost of getting back, just cant wait to get back now. When we initially decided to move back I felt very confused and very disappointed, that feeling has pretty much lifted now and I am looking forward to our future back home. So thats all it was really, it was huge disappointment and the fact I've spent so much time chasing a dream that never really existed, isn't the mind a powerful thing.

Good luck with your move back home.

We are actually all feeling good, I think I have now come to terms with the cost of getting back, just cant wait to get back now. When we initially decided to move back I felt very confused and very disappointed, that feeling has pretty much lifted now and I am looking forward to our future back home. So thats all it was really, it was huge disappointment and the fact I've spent so much time chasing a dream that never really existed, isn't the mind a powerful thing.