iPhone and iPads

Misplaced

Hi,

As we are doing a Reccie in a weeks time I was hoping someone could advise on the best thing to do with our iPhones and ipad.

Mine is unfortunately locked and I am awaiting the unlock code but the OH is unlocked - so what is the best tariff to get payg when in oz?

Also, what are the best tariffs for the iPad 3?

Any advice ideas greatly received.

Mis

Depends where you're going on the recce. If it's just in Adelaide and the surrounding area you'll be ok with a Virgin sim as it piggybacks onto the Optus network which isn't too bad. Also there's an outfit called Crazy Johns that piggybacks onto the Vodafone network and again if you're in Adelaide and the surrounding area it's ok plus they have a better data allowance than Virgin. If you're planning on travelling further afield then Telstra is the best option even though they're more expensive. Most towns have mobile coverage - it's the areas in between where Telstra shines.

You have to register ownership of a mobile phone sim card here though. Dunno how that works for people just visiting so you might want to email a couple of providers to check what they will require for identification purposes.

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/

http://www.crazyjohns.com.au/

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/

Guest Mitchell

Your best bet for an iPhone is a contract. I found vodaphone not to be that great but optus is ok. For my iPad 3 I have a PAYG bit it's a 365 day one so you dont have to worry about roll over credit. Telstra do one for $150. If you go into a shop they can you a $2 sim which they cut to size rather than the $30 micro sim.

Although it's not an iphone, the missus has a Virgin PAYG and credit lasts for a year, so no issue about it not carrying over. As others have said, though, coverage gets patchy outside of metro (we live in Adelaide Hills and although (according to Virgin) it's about to get better, that's been the case for the last two years and not yet any improvement ...

Jim

Your best bet for an iPhone is a contract. I found vodaphone not to be that great but optus is ok. For my iPad 3 I have a PAYG bit it's a 365 day one so you dont have to worry about roll over credit. Telstra do one for $150. If you go into a shop they can you a $2 sim which they cut to size rather than the $30 micro sim.

Doh.gif OP is doing a recce visit. What good is a contract phone to them?

Go with Telstra as recommended, $30 Recharge (pay as you go) then buy a bulk for more megabytes with the money already on the phone.

Then you use the iPhone as a hot spot for your iPad 3, will save the dollars to start with.. maybe that's just me ;)

Go with Telstra as recommended, $30 Recharge (pay as you go) then buy a bulk for more megabytes with the money already on the phone.

Then you use the iPhone as a hot spot for your iPad 3, will save the dollars to start with.. maybe that's just me ;)

Okay Mikh - can you explain the buy bulk to me. Also, how do I use iPhone as hotspot and would I still not need a sim for the iPad?

Great advice by the way and sorry for being so thick.

Mis

No problems. I found out the long hard expensive way..

Buy a Telstra iPhone sim (recharge sim is a pay as you go sim) recharge it $30..

Then press #100# (activates the telstra phone menu)

Cap Encore offer is the one you want.. Gives you 400MB and $200 ish worth of calls (from $30)

Then buy a plus pack (basically like a bolt on UK equivalent) Browse pack worth $20 which is another 700MB (this comes out of your original $30)

So I think its a good deal, but you have to use it up before 28days as over here it expires!

By the way, it's an iPhone 4 you have? Activate hotspot - press settings then press Personal Hotspot.. Test it with the laptop.

iPad 3 has wifi? activate wifi and link to iPhone.. at a later date get the iPad sim..

OR just buy both sims in a Telstra shop when you arrive!

Hope this helps!

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/