Life in Adelaide

Guest twinfamily

Guest twinfamily

Hi all,

We're looking at moving to Adelaie - we're a young family and both hubby and I will be working. Just wondering what you think of the lifestyle on offer, is it a family friendly city? What do you tend to do with your free time? We are moving for a better quality of life so hopefully some tips from you would be great!

Thanks

Jessica

Guest moonraker1959

Hi!Ok I'm going to be honest here,what does better quality of life mean to you?More sunshine?Beaches on your doorstep?My kids grew up in a country town in South Oz(I grew up in the burbs)and yes we had a good quality of life,but we do here as well(UK).I guess it really depends what you like doing and where you live now will also depend how you view Adelaide.What do your kids like doing?The reality is kids spend just as much time inside in Adelaide,as kids do here(depending where you live in the UK,some places apparently rain all the time 24/7 lol).Sometimes I think people have too much information.I know it sounds weird but when my parents emigrated to Adelaide years and years ago,all they had to go on was a two page brochure.No internet,no shows like "Wanted Down Under"and somehow I think its better that way.They really did'nt know what to expect,and so had an open mind I guess??Please do not base your decision to move on a tv show.You won't be living the dream,because all we ever have is reality.And thats a good thing!

Guest dondon75

We are a young family moving to Adelaide may 2013 for a better quality of life! Better opportunities for our children and more open space and better weather for a longer period. We are realistic and know that it will not be easy and nothing will be given to us on a plate. We just want to be able to be comfortable and spend more time as a family and enjoy the open fresh air. Tell us more about your family. Where r u at the moment. It was a surprise to se that you are the first person I have seen in this site that is moving out to Adelaide to beach area in may 2013!

Edited by snifter

Adelaide is a very family friendly place in general. There are lots of parks, playgrounds and open spaces. Many have BBQs in that are free to use. I've only been living here just over a month and haven't really had much in the way of spare time yet but we have been exoring the local area and going for walks and taking the kids to play in the parks. I hope to get out to the beach at some point, round the parks and botanic gardens around the city, to Mount Lofty botanic gardens, the zoo (if we're feeling rich) and various other places both local to us and further out as day trips.

The other great thing I've found about Adelaide is there is far more in the way of childcare provided through the school. All the primary schools we considered had out of hours school care programs and the one at the school my kids go to seems to have plenty of kids at it. They also run during the holidays and any teacher training days which is very helpful if you both work and have no family around to help. Whether you will achieve a better quality of life will depend on what quailty of life you had in the UK though.

Hi Twinfamily,

Me, hubby and our Son, who is nealy 3 have been living in Adelaide for nearly a year now. We also both work full time. We are one of the fortunate ones that have loved it ever since we first got here. Hubby is in a job he enjoys, my job is so much more stress free and laid back from my UK job its untrue, we have a great circle of friends and a fantastic social life.

Even though its winter here, we still spend a lot of time outside, either walking the dog down linear park, which is a fab walking path along the river from the sea where we live at henley, all the way up into the hills, at the beach (with our coats on mind!) playing in the sand, at the local wildlife park feeding roo's, or just generally exploring the place.

In general Adelaide is a very family friendly place and kids are welcome at most if not all restaurants and bars.

As far as tips go, I would say just come with an open mind and don't compare everything all the time to UK living. You need to put yourself out there socially in order to make friends, which can feel alien at times, but well worth the effort.

Good luck xx

Guest jones1541

Hi everyone,

We are also a young family of four, hoping to move early 2013, Adelaide has always been our first choice even though we've never been there...We were initially thinking of moving to rural locations (Victor harbour/Murray bridge) but have decided against this now and are opting for suburb living, not sure where yet which is scary as it would be nice to now where we will end up lol..We will both be working full time too, therefore good schools and childcare essential! Its really nice to read about young families who have/are making the move. Just wanted to ask the people allready in Adelaide what type of visa did you go for? And for everyone planning the move, wha kind are you going for?

Thanks

Claire

I totally agree with Moonraker - how you perceive Adelaide all depends on what you are used to now. If you currently live in the middle of a run down, overcrowded built up area, then Adelaide may well seem like paradise, however if you already live in a rural part of the UK then you might find the vast urban sprawl of Adelaide suburbia a bit restrictive and monotonous.

All in all Australia is very child friendly and there are plenty of playgrounds and parks all over the city - and on the plus side they tend not to be the hang outs of aggressive looking teenagers (as they sometimes were back in England).

Loads of people seem to be coming over with both parents working full time yet expecting to have more time with their families - realistically that ain't going happen!!! If you can't make time to spend with your kids in the UK, why do you think it's magically going to be better if you move to the other side of the world?? Especially when you don't have the network of friends and family to help you out.

Adelaide is a great place but then so too is the UK.

Hi everyone,

We are also a young family of four, hoping to move early 2013, Adelaide has always been our first choice even though we've never been there...We were initially thinking of moving to rural locations (Victor harbour/Murray bridge) but have decided against this now and are opting for suburb living, not sure where yet which is scary as it would be nice to now where we will end up lol..We will both be working full time too, therefore good schools and childcare essential! Its really nice to read about young families who have/are making the move. Just wanted to ask the people allready in Adelaide what type of visa did you go for? And for everyone planning the move, wha kind are you going for?

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire, We are here on a 457 visa, so a temp business sponsored one. Hopefully we will get PR after being here for 2 years.

Good luck with the process :-)

Loads of people seem to be coming over with both parents working full time yet expecting to have more time with their families - realistically that ain't going happen!!! If you can't make time to spend with your kids in the UK, why do you think it's magically going to be better if you move to the other side of the world?? Especially when you don't have the network of friends and family to help you out.

Hi Anne,

Just to balance your point, hubby and I both work full time here in Adelaide, but we have a lot more family time here than we did in the UK. Here, the pace of life (in my experience anyway) is slower and there is a much better work/life balance. In the UK I would work in general a 50-60 hour week, would always be stressed and would always feel like I was juggling having a career and life at home. Here I work in general a 37 hour week, which is relaxed and pretty stress free (most of the time). I am doing the same job here as in the UK, so no differences there.

Also hubby used to work shifts in UK, whereas here he works straight days, so we have every evening and most weekends free as a family.

Here the weather is so much nicer, so even in winter you can get out and about and do things together.

I guess we may just be lucky in our situation, but I truly feel life is what you make it and if you come over here with the intention of having that quality family time, then I am sure you can make it happen.

Beck

Hi

we have found that we work much longer hours in Australia then ever we did in the UK.....and the holidays are shocking. Its the norm to get 4 weeks holiday a year, which is less than we had in the UK. However we do get and and about as much as possible....its just we have less family time here than we did in the UK, but it is quality time when we get it.

We have been here just short of one year.

To press its been the best thing we have ever done.

We live at Port Noarlunga Sth close to the beach, the weekends feel like small holidays in the summer months.

My daughter just loves it boarding surfing swimming just messing around in general.

It takes some time to get used to the slower pace of life here nothings rushed.

But once you settle then yes its great.

I would add we have been fortunate that both my wife and I found employment early on and I have a part time job as well.

So its not all holiday mode but if your prepared to work then the benefits are there for you.

All the best.

Guest jones1541

Hi Beck

We are comming over on a 457 visa also, weve been debating going for the old 176 visa! My oz nursing registration is in the final stage and i will start looking for work ASAP! Our house is on the market, so just a waiting game now! Weve been looking at these areas Happy Valey,Flagstaff, Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley, its just so difficult when we havn't been there. My hubby is a learning disability nurse, so finding work for him will be harder we think!

Sounds like the move has gone really well for you, is it ok to start asking you loads of questions? What do you both do? Does you little boy go to creche or kindy? we have a 5yr old boy and a nearly 3 yr old girl!

Thanks again

Claire

Claire

Some people work fewer hours once they make the move, others more. People will have different experiences, not just of working but in every aspect of their lives (but just a point about hours - generally, Australians work some of the longest hours in the developed world, more than the average worker in the UK). I'm never sure what people mean by 'quality of life' but for us it's no better here than our lives back in the UK, just different. We enjoyed our lives back there, and are (slowly) building our lives here. If I ever was in search of better 'quality of life' I'd change the things I was doing - get a different job, up/downsize the house, change hobbies etc - but I wouldn't assume that moving to the other side of the world would give it to me, although no doubt some find it that way.

Jim

Guest twinfamily
I totally agree with Moonraker - how you perceive Adelaide all depends on what you are used to now. If you currently live in the middle of a run down, overcrowded built up area, then Adelaide may well seem like paradise, however if you already live in a rural part of the UK then you might find the vast urban sprawl of Adelaide suburbia a bit restrictive and monotonous.

All in all Australia is very child friendly and there are plenty of playgrounds and parks all over the city - and on the plus side they tend not to be the hang outs of aggressive looking teenagers (as they sometimes were back in England).

Im sure everyone is different but in general I find that people in my line of work and my husband's, work much longer in the uk than in oz.I don't think anything will happen magically but when you have evenings free and the weather is much better, surely you do get to have more fun with your family - spending time outdoors as opposed to cooped up indoors.

I do spend a fair amount of time with my family here but having lived in Sydney myself, I do think Australia has a far slower pace of life which helps.

Edited by twinfamily