Missing reading your favourite UK Newspaper

Diane

Been meaning to post this up for a while. If you are a member of your local library out here in Adelaide, you can read a whole bunch of newspapers online for free by logging in with your library card.

What you do is go to http://www.libraries.sa.gov.au and search for "Press Display" - then select "View Detail" and follow the instructions from there. You'll need the name of your local library and the barcode from the back of your library ticket.

They say there are over 2000 papers on there, so hopefully you'll be able to find your favourite!

Ah Michelle, I feel your pain! Actually thought I must have hit the absolute low in local radio the other day when I tried a new station on the way home early from work and they were literally reading out the death notices from the 'tiser, then the full TV listings on all Free to Air channels - riveting stuff NOT! Says a lot about the quality of radio here that I actually left it tuned in and listened to it for a good half hour!!

I listen to a lot of UK radio via iplayer on my laptop at home, but when driving around it's a bit harder to find something not so mindless. I like Fifi and Jules on SAFM in the afternoons (starts at 4pm) and Hamish and Andy aren't bad. FiveAA isn't too bad in the mornings, although there is this constant obsession with AFL on most stations, which annoys me, and I have my shower radio tuned to 972 which is ABC News Radio in the mornings. Podcasts are the way to go though, broadcasting in Adelaide has a long, long way to go! Also can recommend getting audio books out from your local library and listening to them when driving instead of the radio :biggrin:

Ah Michelle, I feel your pain! Actually thought I must have hit the absolute low in local radio the other day when I tried a new station on the way home early from work and they were literally reading out the death notices from the 'tiser, then the full TV listings on all Free to Air channels - riveting stuff NOT! Says a lot about the quality of radio here that I actually left it tuned in and listened to it for a good half hour!!

I reckon what you were listening to is a community service for the blind - they go through the full paper. You're right - often it's the most entertaining thing on the radio! Plenty of dross on UK stations, I recall, but got to say that radio here is embarrassingly bad. An inane blabber about celebs, reality TV and drunken sports 'stars'.

ABC News is the only thing that's (just about) worth a listen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JACK JONES

If you have a smart phone of some sort , you can get an app called TuneIn Radio. It's brilliant. You can listen to any radio station in the world , just type in the name of said radio station and away you go. Or if you only like a certain genre of music , you just type the genre and it lists radio stations who just play that style of music.

Just plug it into your car stereo , and you can be driving to work listening to BBC Radio 1 , 2....etc. You can also SAVE your favourite stations , so all you have to do is press a button and start listening.

I must say it feels weird driving around Adelaide listening to your old local radio station from back in the UK.

Don't I look a fool! I was reading this thread thinking whats the point in reading newspapers from a country in which we no longer live and that we ought to live 100% here rather than having a mental foot back in the UK. Papers here are pretty dreadful but I almost burst with annoyance when my parents in law come over and buy the racist rag called the Daily Mail. So, the fool bit - down I scowl and read about Tune It Radio. Excellent. Now I can get worldwide radio that has intelligent conversation and shows rather than just AFL. Thanks for the pointer.

My husband was recently given an internet radio as a present (made by Sangean). It's just like a normal digital radio, with DAB+ and FM, but also can access any internet radio station in the world via your home wi-fi. The good thing is that it is so easy to use. We've listened to all types of stations - Serbian, Czech, American, Sri Lankan, Italian!!!

It's very surreal listening to Radio 2 or Radio 6 in the kitchen at home, hearing the traffic news of hold-ups on the M25. Must admit it is so good to listen to radio without the endless adverts for Harvey Norman etc, with some decent presenters like Liz Kershaw and Mark Radcliffe. You realise the quality of the BBC compared with what there is on offer in Adelaide (ABC is not bad). Not sure if is necessarily healthy (in terms of assimilating into the local culture) but enjoying it all the same.