In memory of our daughter, donations to Flinders Medical Centre

Guest Libby1971

Guest Libby1971

Dear All

Many of you won't know me much, I'm an old member, moved here in 2007 with my husband and 2 daughters, Emily and Sophie. Bought a house, two dogs, got a job, the usual ups and downs.

My youngest daughter Sophie was in an accident in January and after a week on life support in intensive care, we were told there was no hope and we had to have her life support switched off. She was 15 years old and our world has ended. Our family is broken. We are grieving deeply for our daughter, our baby, and in Emily's case, her sister.

We have been truly humbled by the love and kindness we have received from dear dear friends here, people who have become family. Some have cooked us endless meals, others just held us while we were in the hospital - using their precious personal leave to do so - and others you can imagine. My brother and sister flew to be at our side to help us and we are indebted to all of them.

We feel a strong need to say thank you to Flinders for all their care of Sophie. They were amazing, so skilled, so professional and the respect and compassion with which they cared for our precious precious girl took our breath away. Their care gave us a week to be with Sophie that we otherwise would not have had. Time to hold her, talk to her, read to her, brush her hair, kiss her and finally to say goodbye with love and hugs around her.

A card or a letter doesn't quite seem sufficient for us. So we are walking the City to Bay (from Adelaide city centre to Glenelg) on 16th September. It is 12kms and we are doing this to raise money to donate to Flinders in memory of Sophie. We have specifically asked that money be divided between the Intensive and Critical Care Unit and also to medical research for epilepsy. We are fortunate in that we have company for the walk - currently there are 43 men, women and children joining us for part or all of it. Some of these are past or current members - guzzler, monaghans, donnat, aggies, stoo, sarahlikesshopping, nick11, louismum etc etc.

However, I am here to ask for your help, please help me say thank you to the hospital who treated my daughter. Some of you will work at the hospital, and some of you will go there either for treatment or to visit someone else. You will know of the importance of this matter.

If you would like to support us by making a donation, then please can you go to the webpage below. There you will see a picture of my husband and myself with our wonderful girl so you'll know who we are. My name is Elizabeth Warner. You can choose whether to nominate a particular person to sponsor. If you have any queries, please email me at eawarner60@hotmail.com

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/carry_on_for_sophie

Thank you for reading this

Libby

There are no words. What a terrible and tragic loss, which will be so extremely hard to bear. My heart goes out to you and your family.

If there is anything I can ever do please don't hesitate to contact me. xx

I will definitely sponsor you as I'm sure this venture will help you feel positive in the short term. Take care.

Guest Sachertorte

Libby,

Desperately sad to hear about the loss of your daughter. From the bottom of my heart I wish Sophie a Happy Birthday. I am sure she will feel your love today.

The biggest hugs to the Warner family.

Today would have been Sophie's 16th birthday. If you are able to make a donation, it would be deeply appreciated. Love and thanks x

Dear Libby, Bob and Emily:

Oh, I am so very sad and sorry for the unbelievable loss of your darling Sophie, and my heart goes out to you for the awful pain and grief you've all suffered since losing her so tragically.

I truly understand how much you're hurting and know the road ahead seems dark and fearful without her right now.

But, believe me, the day will definitely come when the sun will start shining again for all of you, with the help and support of your many friends and loving family, both near and far.

I know, because I lost my precious son, too.

If you ever want to get things off your chest, Libby, please don't hesitate to pm me and I'll get straight back to you. I'm a good listener, and know exactly what you're going through right now.

It's good to talk.

Good luck with the fund-raising for Flinders. It's a wonderful hospital.

With love,

barbxxx

Guest Libby1971

We're in the final ten days before the walk and I'm more nervous than I can say. However, we have raised more than $1500 and I'm thrilled. Sophie would be chuffed to pieces.

If anyone would like to order a t-shirt in order to help raise awareness they are $10. If ordering and you live in the Adelaide metro area, I can drop it off. I can order in batches of ten.

Thank you for your messages of support xx