• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just Returned from our reccie to Adelaide

Brilliant Place, Flew with singapore airlines and had 5hr stop off. Got our passport/Visa arrived Stamp in Adelaide Brilliant.
      Hire car from Easycar via europcar very easy, fantastic fuel prices, some one told us that the fuel prices go up at the weekends but didnt notice, However the fuel does cost more near the city centre or 40kM out of the city so dont get caught short.
      The roads are so Wide and nobody rushes or tailgates so relax and drive like an Ozzy, Oh and the 1 way roads into the city and out again really work Great.
      The cost of food is slightly more and the supermarkets are nothing like as big as in the UK, also the cost of wheat products is very high at the moment because of a few years of failed crops and droughts, we paid $5 for a loaf of bread and saw current buns on sale at $4.50 But all is not so bad on the food front, eating out is about 40 - 50% cheaper than the UK.
      And they do have Drive through off-licences Not kidding how cool is that. What was good to see was the Prohibited alcohol signs around Streets and beaches( No drunks or p****d up teenagers) and cops enforcing the laws.
      Shopping malls as good or better than the UK. also electronics are the same prices as UK.
      Now the Good stuff. Beaches EXCELLENT. Glenelg, Brighton, West beach and so on Brilliant White sand, calm seas with either No waves or up to 2 foot high so Great for little ones (im not sure if this changes through the Seasons). but we did drive south and found Surfing beaches not far away.
      As for Suburbs to live, it depends on what your looking for we all Know houses are more affordable to the Expats with cash from the UK. But get out there and youll find what you want. I think its Hallet cove for us
      The sights and Experiences we had were unbelievable to us from a council estate from Slough. Hand feeding Kangaroos, petting Koalas, lunch with a greedy Pelican walking around the table, watching Dolphins in the port , a flock of Parrots flying along next to the car and so much more
      Nasties Only saw 1 spider and i was really looking, white tail spider , walking accross the ceiling (Caught it in a Glass (angry bugger) and threw it outside, didn't recognise it till we came back to UK.) in our Dulux cabin(can thoroughly recommend Adelaide shores caravan site, Friendly helpful staff good site & base camp) Also two cockroaches in the evening 1 outside and 1 on Threshhold trying to get past screen door,Creeps me out
      All the people we spoke to were so helpful, kind and outgoing, Australians and Ex pats alike. with so many good suggestions and advice
      it all seems so much cleaner than the uk we loved it and we're going for good in July 08 forever we hope.
      1 thing though, when we got back to the UK I asked my 8 year old son, What he thought of Australia? and his reply was.
      He Thought the Toys R Us stores there where bigger and better in Oz.

Freeling, Adelaide
      103 times
      Great that you enjoyed it all , i bet u cant wait now to get back there. Cant wait to get the chance to speak to you all again and find out more
      Ian, Rachel, Harry 16 & Georgia 13

Arrived in Adelaide 14th June 2008

Hallett Cove, Adelaide
      578 times
      Welcome back to cold old Blighyy....but not for long!!! Sound like you loved it....nice one!

Steph has applied for a job in one of the Toys R us stores over there...!

See you over there....!

Dan and Steph
      If you wanna a beer....PM me

Daniel, 31 and Stephanie, 30, Arrived 30th April 2008 and LOVING IT!!!

Welcome back. Please you liked it.

Were going in June, so just before you. May get to meet up on the other side of the world.

Good luck with everything.

Hallett Cove, Adelaide
      160 times
      So glad you liked our home town! I've been accused in the past of wearing rose tinted glasses when it comes to Adelaide, so its good to read others point of view and know that they are excited about this fantastic place, as I am!!

I expect you'll be packing up and leaving Blighty whenever you can?

Let us all know how you get on!

Judi x

Hallett Cove
      62 times
      thanks for taking the time!!
      great reading

good to hear your views of the city and that you've already decided on a suburb for you ;)
      now get packing girl!!!!

Hi there

Im sure the size of Toysrus is very important to an 8 year boy lol:)

Excellent post we go in 2 weeks and Im soooo excited.

Good luck with the next step

Best wishes

Kimberley x

jill wright
      Hi there

Thanks so much for taking the time to send such an informative post. I find it invaluable when people share their experiences espeicially for us who can't really afford a reccie before we go. Gives us a real insight and so glad you loved it.

Really excited now. Keep them coming please all you out there either going for reccies or for good

Jill x

pickard family
      Thanks for all the info, and reassurance.

Carol x

The Pottertons
      Sounds fantastic. Great post. Love the posts that truly whet the old appetite. Roll on my turn!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums