Sunday, 16 September - Oscar's Law Rally!

Lazy Cow

Guest Guest5035
Just a thought to all you tender-hearted people disgusted by the sale of puppies in pet shops, the horrific use of puppy factories etc .......

Join the rally in Light Square, Currie Street, Noon today :wubclub: Please?

For further info:

http://www.oscarslaw.org/index.php

It's a beautiful day and ever person counts :notworthy:

LC

Didn't know this was on, otherwise i would have been there. Went by a pet shop the other day and saw a number of dogs in the showroom going for $895 each FFS!! Bastards should be ashamed, how can idiots buy from these shops..whats wrong with the Animal welfare of the Rspca or any other rescue home

stevo

Edited by Guest5035

Sorry, Stevo. I should've posted this earlier; just didn't think :(

That said, please anyone who reads this, if you could take a few minutes to go to the Oscar's Law website, sign the petition and email you MP (there's a letter on there so it's easy as) that would be brilliant.

The Green Party's Animal Welfare spokesperson, Tammy Franks, spoke at the rally. Apparently she is trying to pass an Oscar's Law bill but she faces a couple of problems. One, that the bill would affect quite a few different departments so there's an inclination to put t in the too-hard basket , and the second is that as a group the MPs don't believe there are any puppy factories in SA! So, contacting your MP could really help! The concensus seemed to be that if the bill is passed in Victoria, this woud encourage the increase of horrific puppy mills and factories in SA.

Ktee :) I remember hearing something about that but I didn't realise they were actually doing it. How wonderful...thank you for brightening my day :wubclub:. Do you know if they were advertising the dogs rather than putting them in the glass tank-things in the shops?

LC

I was part of setting this up, it was actually Pets At Home who did this (Now Pet Barn) their first store was at Fountain Gate. They had 2 huge pens for dogs, they would only take one at a time unless it was a litter, same with cats. They signed a contract with us that under no circumstances would they take in any other livestock from any source. All their staff were trained in vetting owners, completing paperwork and assessments. No customer could take a pet the same day, they had to put in an application to adopt that took 5 working days (took away the impulse buying)

I believe they have also teamed up with the RSPCA in some states here is a link of stores http://www.petbarn.com.au/services/adoptions/

I was part of setting this up, it was actually Pets At Home who did this (Now Pet Barn) their first store was at Fountain Gate.

:notworthy::wubclub::notworthy:

Ktee you're amazing. What an amazing accomplishment. Words fail me. Mind you, I dd have a bit of a chuckle at Fountain Gate!

How fab would it be if that could extend everywhere. I'm going to contact our RSPCA and see whether they've tried to promote it here and if not, if they think it could work, if they need a hand etc...it would be beyond fantastic if it could.

And again, :notworthy:, to you Ktee.

:wubclub: LC

And going from the sublime Ktee to the mundane, the Oscar's Law website.

They've added an email which they are hoping supporters could send to Westfield. The idea is to encourage them not to let to any pet stores that sell impulse-buy puppies or kittens. It only takes a couple of minutes to do :)

LC