Anyone know anyone whos been bitten by a spider?

Guest The Pottertons

Guest The Pottertons

As a mum of 2 young children and after a rather disturbing dream of a spider chasing me round the garden:shocked:, i need to ask the question. Does anyone know what exactly happens if you are bitten by a poisonous spider? Even as i write this i feel really daft! But im sure other mums and dads out there have had the same thoughts. (i hope anyway!) I have visions of my kids in the garden playing and not knowing the dangers. What i really want is for someone to say "spiders? What are they?"!!! However i know this isnt going to happen:). So anyone have any stories? Dont have to all be hearts and flowers, i would love a realistic idea so as i can begin to get my head round it. Thankyou all. Im not usually the paranoid type, Truth be told i have PMT:goofy:. Yvonne xx

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks for the great link Louiesmum. Put my mind at rest no end. Although would still like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience and just whether bites happen that often.

Guest Guest75

Fortunately I've had no major bites.

Had a few bites from "Unknowns" that raised up and were itchy and sore.Also had a few Inch Ant bites - they bring tears to your eyes:arghh::arghh:

No bite will kill instantly and it is VERY VERY rare they are fatal.

Any symptoms come on fairly slowly.

I have two friends who have been bitten by Redbacks.

One was actually bitten on the toilet but just thought they had sat on something sharp.She had symptoms similar to flu,when the doc saw here a few days later he noticed the bite mark on her leg.She is fine now.

Another friend had one in his cap (hung in a porch),he was bitten and said it was extremely painful.It has also affected a few nerves around his eye and sometimes has no movement around it.

my father in law got bitten by a redback and was sick for about 2 wks, but basically you just need to go to the hospital/doctor if you think you've been bitten. Only bad news if your animal gets bit, as you won't know (hubs cat died that way) and if you are in the middle of nowhere and get bit:(

My OH was bitten a couple of years ago when preparing to take a load of stuff to the dump. He wasn't wearing gloves and moved a couple of bikes that had been in the yard for a long time. So, really it was all his own fault and I feel sorrier for the spider than I do for him!:wubclub:

Shortly after he'd been bitten, his hand became swollen and tender and he generally felt rotten, so he just popped down the vets, sorry hospital. He was put on meds and couldn't drink (haha!) and felt a bit yuk, but was fine.

Life goes on and we still walk about barefoot, I don't worry when I'm gardening, although I do sometimes wear gloves when picking up heaps of leaves, grass etc. You know, sensible precautions.

I was reading* the gardening bit in the free paper the other day, and the guy remarked that he'd been bitten a few times and whilst not particularly bothered by it, recommended we check before moving the bins.

I think your concerns are sensible and I'm sure thanks to that awareness, you'll all be fine.

LC

* Don't do any of it, just like to read it.:confused:

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I feel that as long as i know the realities of a situation i can get my head around it and move on to the next troubling thought!!! Im the kind of person that likes to know as much as i can as then i deal a lot better emotionally whether it be bad news or good. Again thanks for the advice im sure its one of the questions you become really sick of answering!!!:arghh: Really appreciate it, Yvonne xx