Electricity/Gas Prices

noworriesmate

I'm sure all you clever people will know this but The big energy providers are increasing their prices Hugely this quarter (20% at least) which I wasn't really aware of. Anyway, yesterday a representative from AGL knocked on my door and offered to knock 16% off the price of my current provider (Origin) if I switched to them. I hate door to door salesmen so I took all the information and told him I would be in contact if I was interested. I promptly called Origin and told them what had happened and told them I was obviously thinking of leaving them. They immediately offered me an 18% discount if I agreed not to switch and commit to them for a further year which I have now done.

I am sure some of you will have got better deals with x or y provider but I couldn't be bothered to take the time to search for an even bigger discount. My post is really more about making those aware out there, who have not checked their bill this quarter, that they are in for a shock if they don't at least check what is about to happen and to suggest try calling your existing provider and telling them that you are thinking of leaving them and see what you get offered - for me the saving between gas/electric is going to be nearly $500 a year - just for one phone call!

NWM

Edited by noworriesmate
grammar

The utility companies are offering all sorts of incentives to move right now.

I am presently moving my accounts over to Origin from AGL and a rep from AG Lcalled to say that they will increase my discount if I stay with them!

With the recent price increase there are some "shocking" accounts!

Really good advice...shop around and save.

Tamara

I wasn't aware of the at least 20% hike in pricing, can you link me to this info?

Thanks

Nicky

I didn't get a specific letter (or if I did I treated it as junk mail) but it's quite clear on my latest bill that the price to the end of June was 24.50 c/kwh, going up to 30.33 c/kwh from 1st July - Apparently all the big companies did this due to the carbon tax.

NWM

Guest moonraker1959

Seems sometimes we're going back to the dark ages(Excuse pun lol)with utility's.How do people on really low incomes manage?The mind boggles!I'm not saying utilities should be as cheap as chips,you kind of learn to expect an annual price hike but 20%???Is that fair?:mad:

Guest wijaya

Hi all

just saw in the news a week or so ago, probably in Today Tonight, that the reason utilities company are giving way bigger discount were because they actually overcharged customer in the last two years, or similar kind of reason. This apparently related to carbon tax, etc. So they have been asked to "refund" the money. I think now instead of refunding, they try to give bigger discount as to retain the customers, and also to show that they care about them, which in truth is a little bit of b*** sh***.

I got a letter from AGL to increase my previous discount of 5 percent to 14 and 16 percent respectively for gas and electricity. As I am very lazy to to anything, I just stay with them.