oxford reccie!

Guest jeannie oxford

Guest jeannie oxford

Adelaide Feb 2008 - sorry its a long one!:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Our reccie began on Thur 14 Feb when we set off for Singapore. Had an adrenaline fuelled flight - very excited to finally be on our way. Singapore Changi airport blew us away. The staff there are so polite and helpful. We had about 17 hours until our connection flight so took advantage of the free tour of singapore, boat trip etc then had lunch in chinatown area, bit of a mooch round -as you do. Headed back to airport where we had booked the transit hotel room and had a much needed 6 hour sleep and shower. That was a godsend and didnt cost much at all. It set us up for the next leg of the journey which was great too. We finally landed in adelaide on Sat 16th Feb to a temp of around 39 degs - gorgeous! We picked up the hire car from the airport with a roadmap and set off for huntfield heights. We found it quite easily after a little detour (I learnt to read maps on this reccie). The roads are sooo easy to manage. The southern expressway is a fab idea. (11 mins from bottom to top).

After meeting our lovely landlady Sarah, and being introduced to our more than adequate rental (it was perfect, modern and immaculately clean -until we hit the beach!)- if we needed anything all we had to do was 'sing out') had a quick look at our local beach -noarlunga (5 mins away by car) -and it was a big wow! I realised then i was going to fall in love with this place. Jake our 11 year old son was suitably impressed(he was determined he really wasnt going to like oz).

Within a couple of days the jetlag had gone and we were really into the swing of things. We chased up and down the country looking at various suburbs, schools, hospitals, quarries and had a really good feeling about them all. I checked out 2 hospitals, 1 private and 1 public and was made to feel very welcome at both. The clinical managers gave me a tour and we had a good informal chat. Steve and I are much more relaxed about the job situation. We kind of thought we should have a job to go out to, contracts drawn up etc but in reality, there is plenty of work for us both and we would be happy to just get over to adelaide and get a job when we get there- no worries in fact! (We are applying for permanent residency).

We took Jake to 2 schools much to his disgust but in fact it was a great idea. We looked at public and private. The thing that struck us was that the kids looked so happy. An English child of about jakes age was beaming to see him. A couple more older english girls just looked so settled and happy. The other thing that strikes you about the children is that they all look so healthy. So important.

We took a couple of trips out -cudlee creek and cleland to see the koalas and roos etc. We would have preferred to see them in their natural habitat but figured we may not and it was important for Jake to see koala and possibly give them a cuddle - which he did. They are so gorgeous. Another must do is Mount Lofty - you can see the whole of Adelaide from up there.

Keith and Sarah (who were the perfect hosts by the way) invited us to a lovely day out at the mclaren vale winery where we had lunch and a game of cricket. We finished the day off at Angela and Ashleys, where the kids had a swim in their fab pool - lucky you! thank you for that guys - you made Jakes day. We were able to meet up with quite a few regulars from PIA. Felt like i should be asking for autographs! It was great to meet you all - you know who you are - keep in touch!

We also had a day at the Adelaide Oval watching Sri Lanka v India. That was a really good day too. We took the train up to the city and were able to check out all the sights on the way up. Each suburb offered something different, gorgeous views. Steve and I actually preferred it further down south but thats just our opinion. We prefer it a little quieter and dont mind travelling around (its what we are used to here in the high peak).

Sarah even took me to a coffee morning (thanks Libby)which i thought was really kind - i want this life! Keith introduced Steve and Jake to fishing. Jakes face when he caught his first fish - ever- was a delight to treasure. My son who was determined not to like adelaide was starting to be positive about it - wup-e- doo!! Dontget me wrong, if we make the decision to emigrate then he is coming anyway, whatever his opinion. But we were hoping to convince him that there are better things in life than sitting by his ps2 and Wii because its so wet and dark to go and play out. He began to come out with some positive feedback (AND ALSO INFORMED US HE HAD BEEN CHECKING OUT THE CHICKS ON THE BEACH - FOR HIS MATE MIND YOU!!!). He told us which school he preferred - great! We realise that he has a loyalty to the Uk and to our lovely families. Which we do too- well,to our lovely families anyway.

Soo- did we love Adelaide? How can you not? The Australians are a lovely laid back, friendly bunch with a laid back attitude which infectiously rubs off. The Brits settled in Adelaide seem to have it all. Yes I appreciate there are things we dont like and i found a couple of things i whinged about which i later dismissed (after a discussion with Steve).

I look at my son now, looking like a surfer dude, a healthy glow in his cheeks and just want to be there. I do feel sick inside, knowing that if the Australian Government let us in, then we will definately be saying goodbye to our lovely families but its what we want - a better future , a life, not an existence. So keep rooting for us all to be out there hopefully by xmas 08.

We came back to severe weather warnings, Steve had to dust off his thermals, poor thing. I think we all have PRD - post reccie depression. We cant keep off the computer, checking for a reply from our agent re the TRA - nothing yet.

To conclude:- The reccie was a great idea (expensive but well worth it)Actually we put most everything on the credit card and once home realise we didnt spend that much. The most expensive part is the obviously the flights. Advice to anyone considering a reccie - do it! It was the best thing we could have done, managed to take a good look at all areas. We are now planning to buy land and have a house built which is something we had never considered doing until the reccie - if we get in! Jake is not absolutely convinced about such a big move but feels a hell of a lot more comfortable with the whole idea. Steve and I are absolutely in love - with Adelaide!!!( and id better add - each other)!!!!!!

Sorry it was such a long one - so much to say , and im sure ive missed loads out.

with kind regards to Keith, Sarah, Ruby and Kenya (big hugs girlies) - heartfelt thanks xxx:notworthy:

Jeannie Steve and Jakey Oxford :jiggy:

Guest Libby1971

It sounds like you had a fab time on your reccie!

It was a pleasure to have met you. Bob and the girls say thanks very much for the Tuna Pasta Bake which was had the same day you came round!

Hope to see you back here soon

Libby x

Fantastic Post Jeannie! I'm so glad you liked Adelaide, it sounds like you and your family are definitly smitten with the place. Its a shame I didn't have chance to meet up with you, but put me on your list of "must do's" when you come over again.

Just one thing, "So keep rooting for us all" :embarrassed: Just how long do we have to do that? My husband will be pleased!!! :biglaugh:

Judi

P.S Check out Australian dictionary, under the word "Rooting" It has a slightly different meaning here than the U.K!!!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hi guys - what a report .... loved meeting you all and look forward to you getting back here soon.

Keep us posted .... get Skype .... let us know what happens with TRA as soon as you know.

Lots of love

The Gang

xxxx

Guest jeannie oxford

oops - change that to keep your fingers crossed for us! LOL - jeannie

Judi, hopefully i will meet with you if we make it to ADL. Time just went so quickly and towards the end we just wanted to chill on the beach. i had loads of people in my little black book that i would have liked to have met and places to see.... There were a few more things we could have done but Jake needed to feel like he was having a holiday too -not just a fact finding mission.

thanks for response

regs, jeannie x

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:Jeannie, great post glad you guys had a good time , sorry we didnt make it out in time to have that beer , agree with all your comments about Adelaide and the fact that a reccie worked for you and us alike. Kieth and Sas are the perfect hosts and would reccommend their rental anyday , Good luck with the TRA our fingers are crossed .

Cheers Gra & Jac

Hi Jeanie

Excellent post

You have me so excited for our visit in just under 2 weeks now. Im so excited:notworthy:.

Pleased you had such a good time. Good news you didnt spend much and great news you loved your rental cos we too are booked into the Manor at Huntfield Heights.

Keep us posted with your TRA and updates.

Kimberley x

oops - change that to keep your fingers crossed for us! LOL - jeannie

Judi, hopefully i will meet with you if we make it to ADL. Time just went so quickly and towards the end we just wanted to chill on the beach. i had loads of people in my little black book that i would have liked to have met and places to see.... There were a few more things we could have done but Jake needed to feel like he was having a holiday too -not just a fact finding mission.

thanks for response

regs, jeannie x

No worries!! See you next time......fingers crossed!!! :biglaugh:

Aaah thanks Jeannie, how kind of you to post such a heart whelming post, I feel quite touched by your words. It was great to meet you guys & I am so pleased that the reccie has helped Jake see a side to Adelaide that we all love, kids are soo important in this journey, they are resiliant & do adapt, how could they not :v_SPIN:.

Have to say Sarah & Keith are definitely the 'hosts' of all time :v_SPIN:.

We will see you all soon, keep in touch you have my email.

Take care

Angela, Ash, Brad & Tom xx

Guest mOZzy

jeannie that was a great read!!! thanks for taking the time!!!!

it all sounds so promising! i so wish we'd have the money to actually go for a reccie - or even better to have the visa and the house sold and GO!!!!

great to hear that your son did like it in the end ;) - makes it all so much easier!!!

and it seems like the reccie helped you with lots of your qestions too - so mission complete!

oh, and if you feel like you've left lots out i wouldn't mind a 2nd installment ;)

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Oxford dudes

Was really great to have met you when you were over and what a great post for all those back in the UK thinking of doing what you did. Tell Jake Adam really looking forward to seeing him again, hopefully at APHS if not before, we all have our fingers crossed for you all.

Hopefully next time we see you we'll be able to put you in a better fielding position, I dont think you're a natural 2nd slip, can see you more on the boundry, Deb said near the wine glass :cute:.

I agree totally with what Angela said about Keith & Sarah, I think without them we would have really struggled, with friends like them you can only succeed, and first class accom too, what more could you ask for?

Take care and see you all very soon.

:)

The Bruce's

Guest jeannie oxford

hi there

It helped that my FIL paid for the flights, Bless him(think he's trying to get rid of us!!)We couldnt have afforded it otherwise.and all our relatives gave us some lovely aussie dollars for xmas.

Yes we had a really good time and fortunately for us it all went very smoothly. We kept thinking something was going to go wrong - but it didnt. I did take my rose tinted glasses off a couple of times and tried to find fault with things. I did - but on the grand scale of things, they were minor issues (and my husband did take me up to the city to find some really nice clothes shops)! The pro's most certainly outweigh the cons in ADL for us.

We just need to pass the TRA to move on to next stage now. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for reply, jeannie

Guest jeannie oxford

Hey up Bruce Clan

How very lovely to hear from you!!!

I would be definately better off near the wine glass - i was trying to make a good impression - you know, playing with the kids etc! You guys obviously saw through that one. Hah!

Jake def wants to go to APHS(if he has to go to an aussie school at all!) - knowing Adam is going there has made all the difference. They did get on well didnt they!

I emailed our agent yesterday to get her to chase the TRA people- we're going nuts here not knowing if we can move on to next stage or not. ill put up a post if we hear from them soon - or maybe not, if its bad news - we'll be too gutted to communicate. isnt this stage awful - the waiting and not knowing!

Did you have a good time at aldinga for keiths burpday? And were you dancing in somebodys garage to 70's music? Well all i can say is we are v. v. jealous. Hope you had a hangover!!!

weather here blooming awful - its a bit nipply!! LOL whats it like there - just to torment us.

Catch u soon dudes, love the oxfords x

Guest deb and stoo

Yo The Oxford 3

Actually I thought you're fielding was wonderful and looking forward to the re match, hopefully sooner rather than later, you probably spotted my reason for playing too, to avoid the wine tasting as once again I was 'duty drives'...I'm sure I'll be rewarded in heaven .

Yes we did go to Keiths 'burpday' at Aldinga and what a great time we had, Rich even managing to get stuck in the soft sand which was a laugh and Keith managing to polish off lots of 'pigs ears', the beach cricket was pretty wonderful too though how many times have you seen cars interfearing with play?

As for the 'disco dancing in a garage around aspinning light ball' well I left that up to the 'ladies' Donna leading the way in her very fetching nightie, if I'd have known I would have turned up in my silk boxers, there again wouldn't have wanted to scare the kids :goofy:. Think Deb Donna and Nik had the hangovers, well I hope they did :P.

We're going through a bit of a heatwave at the mo, think it was high 30's again today, will be well into next week , so no chance of any 'nipply' weather, well not unless I can persuade Deb to come to Maslin with me;), saying that I'm off to Darwin on Friday for 3 weeks where they're in the middle of monsoon season....just my luck, brolly packed.

Right I'm off to pack, we all have our fingers crossed here, tell Jake Adam going for a look around APHS next Wednesday, he's been fishing the last two afternoons with school for his Aquatics Week, caught two Whiting and a Brim today too, think he's surfing/swimming/sailing/canoing tommorrow.

:)

The Bruce 4

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jeannie, I actually grew up in Adelaide and have lived near Oxford for the past 12 years. We are moving back in November 08. My husband has been granted a spouse's visa in the past few weeks. Like you I am also a nurse. Have 2 very excited kids. Like you we did a reccie back and it was lovely. Our kids already have places at schools. Just got to sell the house.

Guest jeannie oxford

this forum is soooo addictive, i dont know how i will find time to go back to work! am really enjoying all the feedback, keep it coming!

Kiki - are you staying at keith and sarahs? who you flying with, how long you there etc etc. have a ball but have a chill on the beach watching the sun go down with a cold one towards the end (preferably with guzzler and sas and a bag of flake n chips). itllc onvince you its the right thing to do. jxx

Stoo - take care, have a good trip, love to deb and hope Adam enjoys his visit. j