Adelaide women with children

Guest kerjam

Guest kerjam

Are there any women who have emmigrated and have their husband at work all day and their children at school? How did you cope with being alone in a new country for long periods during the day?

Can anyone please tell me how your children have got on with being out there, in terms of what they get up to after school? We imagine that because the weather is better there, there will be plenty for the kids to do. Is this the case or do they finish school, come home and that's where they stay?

Guest Libby1971

Hi

A subject close to my heart - I am home at the moment although I hadn't planned to be.

We adelaide women are social butterflies and if not nipping off to playgroups, child activities etc then we are having coffee mornings.

In terms of what do we do all day...I have no idea. I'll ask OH!!!!:biglaugh:

After school, well it depends on how hot it is. It is, for me, stupidly hot at the moment so I am not doing ANYTHING until the temp comes down. When it is slightly cooler, we go down the beach. OH plays golf with some friends. It is hard here because it isn't always possible to be outside. Kids don't seem to play on the street here. Kids go visit other kids etc.

How old are yours and perhaps other replies can be more specific?

In terms of being alone all day, well that is where this forum earns its money. If you let people know that you are coming, I think you could probably wangle an invite to a coffee morning or something. Everyone I have met who is on this site has been in the same situation and we know how it feels.

I didn't start building a social network until September and that was a HUGE ENORMOUS mistake. I concentrated all my efforts on making sure kids were okay/ settled etc, we had docs etc and a home. Once all that was done, I had only time left on my hands and nothing to fill it with. I don't drive so getting around to see people is hard. I am getting there mostly due to some amazing friends (you know who you are) who say they are driving past and grap me as they do! I don't think you can be here and not drive.

Guest kerjam

Thanks Libby,

My little ones are 5 and 2.

I just worry for my wife because she will either be on her own all day or at home with the kids during holiday times without the support of the children's grandparents.

Is it not always possible to be outside because of the heat?

Hi,

Yes sometimes it is too hot, and sometimes it is too wet. A lot of children go to after school activities, such as ballet, dance, sport etc. The playgroup association can advise on playgroups in your area. As your children are young, it will be easier for her to network through the kids at first as most mothers are still taking and picking up their kids from school. She could also involve herself on school committess, volunteer for tuck shop etc if the school has one.

As for time out for herself,many kindys(nursery school) offer occasional care for a couple of hours. Most gyms have creches. The hardest part is going out there and starting. I found myself in this situation twice, once when we moved to London with a 5 month old and again when we moved back to adelaide with a 2 an 1 yr old because none of my friends had kids and most had moved interstate for work. My family was here though.

Rachel

Guest salisbury massive

and sometimes it is too wet.

Really, whens that then??? Not since around September last year. :D

Mostly its because its too hot, though if they like Gymnastics, basketball etc the places are air conditioned. If its over a certain temperature, the activities are cancelled by the organisers anyway.

Jo

Guest Libby1971

There are a few people on here who have children the same ages as your two who will be able to advise on the places they go to. Rachel has given good advice.

In terms of being too hot to go out, it is uncomfortable. Everyone can be burnt so easily and there is no messing about with factor 15 here, oh no, straight for factor 30 plus! In fact I don't think I have seen anything else sold here. Yes it can be done but I wouldn't do it unless I had shade guaranteed, PLENTY of drinks etc. We had a nice day at the beachn on Monday (public holiday here). We drove the car on the beach, had the shade out, chairs out, two bags of ice in the esky with more drinks than I can think of plus a jug of water (more ice in there) and were down there for about 3 hours. Kids were in the sea in their cover ups (we didn't think they would be much use to our kids but they are essential wear for kids on the beach IMO) or under shade. By after school, it might be a bit warm until tea time although picnic tea on the beach might be nice.

If you have a shaded area in your back garden, you will be fine. Holiday activities are planned. Cleland Wildlife Park is a bit cooler as is Belair National Park and in the hols some people tend to pop down there. Victor Harbour is lovely and is generally a few degrees cooler. Can your wife drive?

Libby