Why so much negaitivity?

Guest happy feet

Guest happy feet

Hi All,

Just got back from a 131/2 hour shift, and logged in for my daily dose of PIA... So many negaitive comments.... I understand we all have different idea's and views onlife in Oz, but i certainly wouldn't be doing this if i didn't think it was worth it. Life has got to be better, and days off, quality of life must be better for the kids and family. So Come On, lets all be happy, an don't let life get you down.....:)

Don't worry... Be Happy...

Cara :jiggy:

cara i know what do mean, ave switched on tonite and its really p****d me off and am having really BIG second thoughts:unsure:

my hubby is really trying hard to get me to take no notice (he dosent read these threads) but you carnt help picking up negative vibes.

hes really s******G his self:biglaugh:

alls i can say is follow your dream, give it a go as hes telling me lets give it 2 years a least and if its not for us we will come back, and up till now thats what i think is right

Guest barmyarmy

all very true its such a big step you gotta make sure ,my wife not 100% yet so everything got to be right. saying that i do believe tis the right move to make as in uk we dont spend time together as working all the time just to make ends meet.so i do get my dark days but threads like yours do lift me again keep up the good work

Guest jill wright

Hi

Know exactly what you mean have also been on brits in Adelaide and that was much worse.Must say as put me and hubby on a downer!! Won't put us off though let's hope its a better life and you don't know till you've tried it

The Wrights

Guest Django

All I can say on the matter is 'regret the things you do rather than regret the things you don't do'.

I would much prefer giving it a go, finding out its not for us, coming back than thinking in years to come......what if????????????

That said, I cannot see for one moment that it won't be right for us as a family. You guys will be in the same boat or you wouldn't even be considering it. My advice is give it a good go. Don't listen to others. Just because it doesn't work out for everyone doesn't mean it will not work for you.

Keep the faith

Pete

Guest soggy

Hi,

it's morning here now, last night about 7pm my wife daughter and i took a 8 minute drive to west beach with some fresh fruit to eat and somthing to drink, the sun was low but still 30 degrees, we left the beach at 9.30 1 1/2 hours after it got dark, swimming in the sea, splashing in the surf and drying off in the warm breeze with a bright moon and clear sky lots of stars.

what did you do last night after work, I no I have only been here a couple of weeks but so far its worth it, stay positive !!!! going back to the UK won't be the worst thing that can happen, not coming to Aus may always be a regret though.

Simon:)

Guest dave&jacky
All I can say on the matter is 'regret the things you do rather than regret the things you don't do'.

I would much prefer giving it a go, finding out its not for us, coming back than thinking in years to come......what if????????????

That said, I cannot see for one moment that it won't be right for us as a family. You guys will be in the same boat or you wouldn't even be considering it. My advice is give it a good go. Don't listen to others. Just because it doesn't work out for everyone doesn't mean it will not work for you.

Keep the faith

Pete

Your quite right pete you have to give things ago because you are a long time dead, and this country is falling apart around us, if its right what i have seen on the net about Adelaide that it is just about to go through a mining boom then this is just the right time to make the move ,my brother has lived in perth for over 25 years and in the last 5 years his house has gone up by about 4 times the price a lot of it due to the mining boom which WA has just gone through and he would never come back to the uk, so i say go for it i know as long as we get our visa we will be.good luck to you all.:)

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Valid comments about staying positive. But I am a bit irked by this:skeptical:

For me, I think it is important to be positive but also to stay realistic. Life is hard is some areas.

This site isn't very old and quite a few people who joined when it was in its infancy have now either arrived or been here a while - like Donna T, Angela, Monaghans, muppetbro, roo1 and us. Tyke is a different matter in that he has been here quite a few years. Sarahsmartiepants has also been here a while as has Lazy Cow, well longer than us.

We aren't trying to out you off, but the aim of this forum is to say it as we find it. Yes, if anyone can find a way to support others, great but no-one is going to lie to make the forum a more positive one in comparison to others. That doesn't help anyone. And besides, if we are all saying the same thing, doesn't that mean we have a point? We don't argue, fight or bicker on this forum and I like that.

Django (pete) says don't listen to others. Quite right. This is your decision, just as it was ours. Yes we asked questions but we made the move and dragged our kids with us. Now our kids are more settled than we hoped for. Great. But if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question. Jobs are not abundant in some areas and some people may find it hard - would you rather we lied and told you everything is perfect? We are just saying be prepared.

Sorry to be negative. We do find some areas of our life great - going down the beach, having a laugh with friends, not having to both work full time to make ends meet and we are lucky (the pay transferred well) but I can't get a job anyway so we have to make do on one wage.

We wanted to do this. For us, we know now that if it all goes wrong, we tried. There is nothing worse than being a miserable ole s*d sat in a chair, saying "if only" having passed up a chance.

Libby

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi, not sure where all the negativity is coming from but life here and in the Uk to be fair is what you make of it.

Negative things here are, getting expensive, higher than expected levels of poverty, missing family, missing friends, christmas isn't the same, and the winters feel cold without central heated radiators especially in the bathroom.

The positives are whatever you want, for eg, this week on saturday i saw 2 fringe shows (Chopper Reed, you'll know of him when you come out) in the city, followed by lots of pubs and beer, ended up in a pub watching the Man Utd Portsmouth game untill the early hours, sunday went for a curry then a few drinks with friends at the BoHo Bar in unley (there is nothing like this bar in Brum), monday at the beach body boarding, tuesday clare went out with her friends, wednesday was clare's birthday and went to a bar at Holdfast shores called Fizz on the beach and had a meal watching the sun set before paddling in the dark, then last night went out to watch Rove's fringe show (you'll know him too), Didn't go to clipsal but wanted too, the AFL season starts soon and everyone at work goes into Footie tipping (came 3rd in my first season), and West Brom are in the FA Cup semi finals, if we make the final i have to find the money to go back to watch it.... LIFE IS GOOD.

I suppose all i'm trying to say is life can be better here, but you may have to work at what suits you the most, there are a lot of options and opportunities, well it seems more than sleepy lichfield.

I know it's an expensive process but all i know is in the short to medium term your house here is likely to rise quicker than a house in the UK, so if after the (golden 2 year rule, don't tell me i'm the only one) you don't like it here, the chances are you can go back with more money in your pocket than you came out with.

Rob

well put Libby, yes things are a bit REALISTIC on here and Adbrits at the moment, but I suppose those of us here are just trying to help by detailing our actual experiences, involving day to day living, but hey ho, sorry if it is annoying all of those still in the UK - is this better :) -

"Yep, come over, life is easier here, the UK is crap, you will have tons more money, there is no crime here, it is easy to get a job, houses are dirt cheap, there are none of the problems that exist in the UK and your pound will go a long, long way."

Life is what you make it, its hard at times but I have no regrets, would I go back to work a 'stressful & long' 3 day job share role in middle management.....?............not on your nelly.

I have my own personal frustrations, but they are personal, I would not swap our lifestyle to go back to the UK.

First & foremost my kids love it here, I would break their heart if I decided to return.

Good luck

Angela

Hi Everyone

i don't think we are wanting to turn it into a Them and Us. (them Adelaide and Us in Blighty at all). I think its like everything in life when you book a holiday say to Spain you have done your best research you hope you have the best deal best hotel and cheapest car rental and if some tells you something different about any of those things you go oh S>>T and start to worry you have done the right thing.

I ve reading these sites now for about a year and its like a rollercoaster some months/weeks everyones on the up and then sometimes everyones on a down. Take everything from it all their good and bad experiences and advice. We will all at some point think Oh my god I am doing the right thing. I ve been stressed to death the last 2 months and eating for England but I still wanna give it a go..

Chin up everyone.

Kimberley xx

Guest Libby1971

Sorry Kiki and anyone else who may have interpreted things as an Us vs Them Scenario.

This is by no means what this is all about. There are just some people who are struggling in one way or another and I suppose it felt that those of us in those negative situations of one kind or another were being told to 'shut up, you've got nothing to complain about'. I am probably being sensitive but we use this forum to sound off whether sick of immigration dragging their heels, estate agents being slow to find buyers and buyers to make up their mind, employers being a*seholes, house prices going up etc etc.

See, you can take the Pom out of England but not the whinge out the pom:D.

I will calm down soon. Had 2 days of sick kids and I am REALLY tired.

Come to Aus and give it a go. But please be open minded. I don't know what I expected exactly but being unemployed after almost a year was definitely NOT on my list!

And to everyone having a rough time in one way or another, have a big, big hug! Bet you feel better now...

Libby

Hey all!

Have just logged on for first time in 2 days...and i always miss the exciting debates!!!!

Have read through all the posts and i have to say that this is a very personal choice and everyone has different reasons for going!! I for one have no kids, both of us have reasonably well paid jobs and we could be comfortable here but i want something different, to say i did it, i tried something. very few ppl will actaully get this chance and i intend to make the most of it.....its one heck of an adventure!! I'm certainally not going to Oz for the money.... as i say i just wanna do something before i regret not doing it!

Adelaide might not be perfect for us but where is....we might move on after 6 months, try somewhere else, but Adelaide is where we chose to start out, regardless of crime, taxes and house prices.....thats everywhere!!!!

My personal effects left today...and i for one cant wait to get there and experience a different lifestyle!!!

See ya all soon!

Dan and Steph

Guest happy feet

God what have i started!!!! Really sorry if my message was misread... I never intended to offend anyone, my aim was too just give people a boost by saying ' don't worry, be happy'... Don't let things/processs get you down.

I have not been on this site for long, love going on it and reading all the different threads, you get so much imformation postive and negative. As i and family are going blind, having never been, i am very greatful for the thoughts of both those already there and those still on this side.

I again apologise if i have cause any upset... Maybe i better just read the threads from know on and keep my mouth shut.

cara

Guest graandjac

:)Cara you have nothing to apologise about, your comment is correct, I dont hide the fact the ive had the odd word run in with another member, but having chatted to some people on the other side it has been made clear the a few are returning members back to the uk as things have not worked out . So some bitterness has creeped in.

And although i welcome comments however bad they are its the manner in which they are said and how many people they offend that does get my back up, just because its not worked out dont spoil it for the rest of us:realmad: If something is not what we expect out there then let us find out for ourselves after all thats how and the best way to learn.

But i do think it is time for certain comments to be toned down a little however true they are, as they are now getting offensive to many. Cheers Graham

Guest Django
Maybe i better just read the threads from know on and keep my mouth shut.

Oi you!!! Trouble maker!!!!:mad::biglaugh::biglaugh:

As Graham says you have nothing to appolise for. Keep on posting.;)

Pete

Guest Django
Hi,

it's morning here now, last night about 7pm my wife daughter and i took a 8 minute drive to west beach with some fresh fruit to eat and somthing to drink, the sun was low but still 30 degrees, we left the beach at 9.30 1 1/2 hours after it got dark, swimming in the sea, splashing in the surf and drying off in the warm breeze with a bright moon and clear sky lots of stars.

what did you do last night after work?

D'you know, you can go right off some people:p

Pete

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:dont worry were happy , longing to try different life experience, your a long time dead, its great to hear everyones experiences fors againsts and in the middle

life is what you make it , enjoy every moment xxx

Well having read through all the posts in the cold light of day all i will add is "We still going"!!!!!!:P

yes i read all the comments good and bad and take on board whats said so under no illusion what to expect when we get there.

Thanks for all the people in Oz telling me what it is like for them, i think it does me good to keep my feet on ground.

So sorry were still coming!!:biglaugh:;)

Guest jill wright

I agree

Must admit we were on a bit of a downer reading various posts but lets be realistic do we really expect every brit who's moved out there to suddenly have found this fantastic life?? no way it will take time and we really have nothing to lose. One year runs into another here so lets give something different a go .

WE'RE STILL UP FOR IT!!!

The Wrightsx

last night i was in a terrible state reading the posts of some poeple,:confused:but you know what today its made me see sense of life out there, am feeling stronger and more detirmind to get over there and give it a great big go of things.

looking forward to it now for me and my family:cute: in fact carnt wait now

happyfeet youve said nothing wrong gurl hope your ok:wubclub:

hope everyones feeling better today dont worry be happy guys!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I have a lot to say on the rose coloured glasses syndrome, but fortunatly for you guys I havent got the time right now!!:biglaugh:.

I will keep it short by agreeing with Libby (yet agian) and Foxychick.

But I will say though...without offence or picking on any one person....

It goes to show how a few negative words posted by people here can send so many of you guys in the Uk into a tizzy!

It would not be fair if all we ever did was point out the good side of ADL living and didnt point out the bad would it?

Open forums are about disscussions and points of view.......from all sides.

Dont let a few negative things put you off, have the courage to make up your own mind, as long as you keep it open!!!

AND MOST OF ALL REMEMBER........................IT IS NOT UTOPIA!

Just another country, inhabited by human beings, who are the same the world over.

sarah