Things I wish I’d know about!

Guest AngPhil

Guest AngPhil

Been in AMAZING Adelaide for 3 months and loving it, but I had to share two things that I didn’t know about before I arrived.

The first thing is lay-by. It is bloody amazing and most shops do it. I discovered lay-by when we were looking at kayaks and ended up putting 4 on lay-by, thanks to a very good salesman in BCF. Lay-by is where you choose your goods (after negotiating a discount) and then pay a deposit of around 10%. You then go in periodically to pay off your purchase and pick it up when you have paid for it.

I have been in Target for about 2 ½ hours today choosing loads of Christmas presents. I went with my loaded trolley to the lay-by counter and the shop assistant scanned all my goods. He then wrapped them all up and asked me to pay my 10% deposit (+$3 lay-by fee). This is where I wish I’d known the second nugget of information. My card was refused as I had spent over my daily card limit! Apparently you can only spend $1000 on most accounts, as I’d been in to pay for the kayaks, put some fuel in my car etc. I didn’t have enough left on my daily limit. After upsetting the whole shopping queue and a quick phone call to Westpac, it turns out that you press credit (when given the options for which account you use) then the daily limit doesn’t apply. Stress over and Target are now storing all my Christmas gifts!

Hope that helps someone and sorry if you were in the Colonnades Target in the big lay-by queue today.

Another really useful tip to keep in mind is not to pay the marked price for any large item purchase.... (and even smaller purchases at some stores).

If it's a fridge from Goodguys or Harvey Norman, a lounge suite from Le Cornu, a computer from Radio Rentals... or even tiles for your house....ask what their best price is. I know that it takes some getting used to but the savings can be quite large.

Tamara